News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for ErmengardeStopSniveling

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
Member Name: ErmengardeStopSniveling
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
 Jun 21 2024, 10:37:07 PM

I just want to shout out Shereen Pimentel who has never been bad in anything I've seen her in and has such impeccable control of her vocal instrument as both a legit soprano and a belter AND can dance!

Feels inevitable that someday she will play Audra's daughter or mini-me (but she's probably not a Louise).

'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
 Jun 21 2024, 05:28:09 PM

Think it's pretty silly to speculate about next year's Tony chances at this early early point in the season (especially when we don't even know if CATS is coming, or if GYPSY will even be any good).

ANNIE returns to NYC at the Theatre at MSG for the 2024 holiday season; tour will switch from non-Eq to Equity
 Jun 21 2024, 11:58:22 AM

BrodyFosse123 said: "Hey now, Tony Award winner Faith Prince WAS a huge name in the 90s. She even played Richard Kind’s girlfriend on the hit sitcom SPIN CITY. Sadly, her spark did fizzle and even though everyone kept saying she’d be perfect for a BELLS ARE RINGING revival, turns out it was a horrible fit for her. Go figure."

Look, I love Faith Prince, but she has never been a box office star. Her immediate followup to G&D lasted just 12 performances,

FOLLIES at Carnegie Hall
 Jun 21 2024, 11:06:47 AM

I'm generally hot and cold on Beth Leavel and think she really needs good direction to succeed and there's a fine line between her voice being thrilling vs grating. She didn't work for me here, but I appreciated seeing a new, different interpretation of the song, and she was obviously thrown off by the mic situation which she turned into a comedic bit prior to the song. It's tough to go from schtick to Divorce Song.

She, like Alexandra Billings, was done no fav

ANNIE returns to NYC at the Theatre at MSG for the 2024 holiday season; tour will switch from non-Eq to Equity
 Jun 21 2024, 10:46:14 AM

Call_me_jorge said: "jpbran said: "Guessing the move is to entice/placate a “name” for one of the roles maybe."

Faith Prince, perhaps?
"

They would be lucky to get someone of talent but what they really need is a NAME to move tickets at that time of year.

Faith Prince is not a name, has never been a name, and will never be a name.

(Getting a name is easier said than done.)

Jonathan Bailey in Richard II, London 2025
 Jun 21 2024, 09:32:59 AM

Wick3 said: "Cannot wait. Sadly this means the Guys and Dolls immersive theater will be finishing up soon since it's at the Bridge Theatre."

G&D is closing January 4th, per the article 

FOLLIES at Carnegie Hall
 Jun 21 2024, 01:57:20 AM

Thhn said: "I wonder what they were planning for Donna Murphy? Might we have gotten to see the OG choreography for Lucy and Jessie? THAT would have been a cherry- and something I’d like to see eventually (doesn’t have to be Donna Murphy dancing it, although I wouldn’t complain if it was!)."

Going by press release #2 (which announced Leavel/Kudisch/Kate Baldwin, and announced the dropouts of Murphy/Norbert/Rachel Bay Jones), I assume Donna would

FOLLIES at Carnegie Hall
 Jun 21 2024, 01:38:03 AM

E.Davis said: "Only actor who got shafted in my opinion tonight was Carolee. Such an odd song to put a name like her in."

Take with a grain of salt because show folk love to talk out their asses, but:

I overheard someone explaining afterwards that the intention was for "Waiting for the Girls" to be a FALSETTOS OBC reunion but could not secure Chip Zien or Michael Rupert to sing Buddy so they hired Thom Sesma.

Carolee, Barbara Walsh

FOLLIES at Carnegie Hall
 Jun 21 2024, 12:04:44 AM

It was extraordinary in every single way, and very polished all things considered. Were all of the performances definitive? Of course not! But nobody came even close to "bomb"ing. The 30-piece orchestra led by Joey Chancey sounded sensational in that hall, even if the sound balance wasn't perfect at times (Carnegie Hall isn't made for theatre music, sound design is tough for a one-nighter, and the 7-piece brass section goes HARD in some of those numbers. S

Jun 20 2024, 03:39:38 PM

I can't remember the last time a non-Eq tour switched to Equity partway through?

In a rare move for the industry, the national touring production of Annie will switch from Non-Equity to equity status this fall. The Non-Equity tour played its final performance last month in Portland, OR.

The Equity tour will also play a five-week engagement at the theater at Madison Square Garden in New York City over the holiday season - though dates have yet to be announced.

Aside from a change in union status, the tour will retain its creative team. The touring production of Annie is directed by Jenn Thompson, and has choreography by Patricia Wilcox (Motown, A Night with Janis Joplin), orchestrations by Dan DeLange, scenic design by Wilson Chin (Pass Over), costume design by Alejo Vietti (Jersey Boys), lighting design by Philip Rosenberg, sound design by Ken Travis (Disney's Aladdin), hair & wig design by Ashley Rae Callahan and casting by Paul Hardt of Hardt Casting, LLC. The lovable mutt Sandy is once again trained by Tony Award Honoree William Berloni.

Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024
 Jun 19 2024, 12:16:33 PM

Looks like they are casting one female ensemble person and two swings (perhaps in addition to what they had in Chicago).

HEELS ENSEMBLE: 20s – 40s. Dancers with strong technique and partnering skills who sing very well. All vocal types, comfortable in legit Broadway and contemporary/pop Broadway styles. Must be comfortable with contemporary movement styles. Will also play various featured ensemble roles and may cover the principal roles of Madeline Ashton, Helen Sharp, and/or Vio

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
 Jun 19 2024, 11:51:39 AM

RippedMan said: "I would imagine it'll run for a while. The production is the star. Are they even advertising it around the city?"

of course they are advertising

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
 Jun 19 2024, 11:01:34 AM

Yeah, I don't think you can significantly rely on Morbid Curiosity when tickets are priced this high.

That the show is doing THIS well continues to surprise me and I just wonder how long it lasts (through his whole run? Does the audience dry up in a couple weeks? Does it continue doing great after he leaves even if his replacement is of lesser name value?)

DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES Previews
 Jun 19 2024, 10:36:37 AM

bwayphreak234 said: "WOW - Kelli hit the nail on the head there... and so eloquently too. Her performance shattered me. As a 4+ sober alcoholic myself, I can testify that her performance was spot on and so visceral and real. A beautiful and heartbreaking performance that I won't forget."

Congrats on your sobriety 💪 keep marching!

DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES Previews
 Jun 19 2024, 09:49:50 AM

Incredibly articulate, as always.

It was an impossible show to market. I’m sure groups/organizations dealing with addiction and sobriety didn’t want to partner with it because it paints such a bleak and unhappy portrait. Trying to portray it as a love story obviously didn’t work in the first place.

Commercial Broadway just was not the place for this show.

TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
 Jun 18 2024, 06:09:44 PM

lilpunkin said: "Elton is not the person making casting decisions for this show."

Elton as an author will have casting approval (or he'll delegate that to someone representing him). But that doesn't make NPH any more likely to be in it.

New Merrily Pro-Shot?
 Jun 18 2024, 05:22:02 PM

On the subject of MERRILY:

Do we know if James Lapine is a silent royalty-participant in MERRILY?

Because Jack Viertel has Tweeted what a lot of us have assumed for years: that Lapine had a substantial role in the revised book and shape of MERRILY, due to directing the productions at La Jolla (1985) and City Center (2012).

I can't really get behind his complaint, since Lapine's work happened long before the current production, and he either chose not to be credited on the revised version or Sondheim & Furth refused to credit him.

Richard Linklater developing a film about Richard Rodgers & Lorenz Hart, BLUE MOON
 Jun 18 2024, 05:12:55 PM

Sony Pictures Classics has acquired worldwide rights to Blue Moon, and has announced that it will star Ethan Hawke as Hart alongside Margaret Qualley, Bobby Cannavale, and Andrew Scott.

Blue Moon profiles the final days of Lorenz Hart, part of the hit songwriting team Rodgers & Hart. The film is set primarily in Sardi’s Restaurant on March 31, 1943, the opening night of Oklahoma!, which marked Rodgers’s first collaboration with Oscar Hammerstein II as Hart’s replacement.

Production will commence in Dublin, Ireland this summer.

I wonder if Andrew Scott is Richard Rodgers and Cannavale is Oscar Hammerstein?

Also wonder if this is being done with the blessings of the estates or not (which may impact if music by Rodgers/Hart/Hammerstein can be utilized).

Julie Taymor’s niece
 Jun 18 2024, 02:36:02 PM

Talent and track record is what gets a person a job, not education. The over-reliance of MFAs in particular is weakening our theatre scene and sanding down the edges of people's work, but that is not a topic of discussion for today.

Tony Award Viewership Decline Over the Years
 Jun 18 2024, 01:53:17 PM

We are so conditioned to commercial breaks that when they air, we know we have about 2 minutes to go to the bathroom of make a cocktail or put laundry in the dryer. Establishing superfluous content in advance, or having a countdown clock, would be an ideal way of doing it. For the SAGs, Lisa Ann Walter had a recurring bit where she followed nominees around and Tan France interviewed people –– but that's not an actual pause of the ceremony, and it doesn't help the show not

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You