News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for ErmengardeStopSniveling

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
Member Name: ErmengardeStopSniveling
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Adam Lambert -Cabaret
 Jul 26 2024, 05:34:43 PM

Theatrefanboy1 said: "I wonder who the next casting announcement would be. (Honestly I didn’t find this super exciting). I wonder if in March/April 2025 is Eddie would return or if we could maybe get like a TImothee Chalamet. Or who else they’d cast"

These things don't usually come together too early so now they can pause the casting search for 3 or 4 months and also see how the grosses settle in through the rest of Redmayne's run and at the

BOOP! The Betty Boop Musical - Pre-Broadway Chi
 Jul 26 2024, 12:43:24 PM

It doesn't matter what is "usually" done.

There are no rules.

While it's not as common for a show to downscale for Broadway, every show has a budget and every show has to make compromises. (See also: the PARADE and MATTRESS transfers, which decreased the orchestra)

BOOP! The Betty Boop Musical - Pre-Broadway Chi
 Jul 26 2024, 11:21:49 AM

I'd be shocked if they don't trim the orchestra from what was in Chicago, even if it's just losing 2-4 players. 18 would be the largest orchestra for a proper musical to play the Broadhurst since a pair of Garth Drabinsky musicals in the 1990s: FOSSE (20) and SPIDER WOMAN (22). And Garth was not known for his budget-consciousness.

Jason Robert Brown, Taylor Mac, Rob Ashford collaborating on MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL musical adaptation
 Jul 26 2024, 11:11:55 AM

I don't really have an opinion on this delicate and discussion-worthy matter, but I'm sharing because it is of interest:

I'm starting to see some brouhaha from individuals in the trans community who are displeased that Lady Chablis (a trans woman) is being played by an actor who is not trans. Ghee is nonbinary and uses he/she/they pronouns but I does not identify as Trans.

If this gains traction, it could derail the show entirely since Ghee is, reportedly,

Michael R. Jackson & Anna K. Jacobs' TEETH Musical at Playwrights Horizons (Winter 2024)
 Jul 26 2024, 11:00:11 AM

ANDY KARL!

Happy 5th Anniversary, MOULIN ROUGE!
 Jul 26 2024, 09:26:43 AM

It’s a little silly for shows to celebrate anniversaries seeing as they were closed for a year and a half…focus only on the milestone number of performances.

or, as a friend who shares in this complaint quipped yesterday, “if the actors & crew weren’t on payroll for 5 years straight, it’s not an anniversary” :)

Laurie Beechman Theatre & West Bank Cafe to close
 Jul 26 2024, 09:20:56 AM

I’m not a restaurateur but it would seem to me the most logical way forward is someone going to the owner proposing additional *investment* in the restaurant/club and a financial restructuring to add investors into the mix. Whether that means the owner steps aside from active duty and a more business-savvy person takes over, or the owner remains with some input from others.

Raising a million (or however much they actually need) via actual investors would probably be easier than r

Laurie Beechman Theatre & West Bank Cafe to close
 Jul 25 2024, 07:26:53 PM

GottaGetAGimmick420 said: "Did not expect a restaurant owner looking like an infant to give us an interview lectureon "theatre history" and be complaining about losing Tonys but what do I know about running a business?"

That's not the owner. The owner is 70. The people pictured in the Post article are Joe Iconis (Be More Chill composer) and the D'Angoras (who owned one of the street team companies that promote shows at the TKTS booth a

Peter Dinklage, Lupita Nypng'o, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Sandra Oh to star in Shakespeare in the Park's TWELFTH NIGHT
 Jul 25 2024, 03:14:47 PM

Hey you said it more nicely than I did!

Peter Dinklage, Lupita Nypng'o, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Sandra Oh to star in Shakespeare in the Park's TWELFTH NIGHT
 Jul 25 2024, 03:09:48 PM

It’s a great cast on paper but what an idiotic move to announce it more than a year in advance. Even announcing 6 months in advance can be risky. Schedules change at the drop of a hat.

Feels desperate, as though they’re announcing it to try to drum up completion funds or boost memberships or send a message to the contractors that these are the celebs you’ll be pissing off if you don’t finish on time.

Unless there’s a secret commercial producer attac

'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
 Jul 25 2024, 11:57:13 AM

It's a tough show to transfer as-is because it needs a big space for both the stage and the audience. 25 in the cast (call it 28 if they add some more swings/standbys) and 9 in the band is MUCH bigger than your typical commercial Off-Broadway or CITS show. Probably need 399 to 499 seats to make it work Off-Broadway. Off-B is also advantageous because of lower wages & fees compared to bway. Maybe it needs to play a converted space somewhere.

For what it's worth, I

Broadways carbon footprint
 Jul 25 2024, 11:45:38 AM

LED lights are usually the budget-friendly choice, but sometimes the more oldschool LDs prefer to use gels and other types of lighting instruments because it offers a softer look. So it's a creative consideration, a budgetary consideration, and an environmental consideration.

Patrick Marber will direct THE PRODUCERS for London’s Menier Chocolate Factory, beginning November 2024
 Jul 25 2024, 10:17:47 AM

Sorta like seeing Titanique or Disaster! downtown, or even "the corn musical" Shucked.

You walk in with low-ish expectations, and then come out saying "sh*t, that was way better than expected!"

Patrick Marber will direct THE PRODUCERS for London’s Menier Chocolate Factory, beginning November 2024
 Jul 24 2024, 09:37:17 PM

Owen22 said: "I think the problem with doing the show at the Menier is that the ONLY marvelous number (stolen from the film) is the Springtime For Hitler number, which needs to be lavish. That's the joke. And that won't happen at the Chocolate Factory."

SFH can be effective without being opulent, it just needs to be rethought from the Stroman mold. There can be humor in an endearing scrappiness. But the number also needs a great Roger to land it.

Jul 24 2024, 06:43:04 PM

Dolly80 said: "You can all stop stop speculating… they’ve already cast Max- Andy Nyman."

Andy Nyman is becoming the new Henry Goodman!

Broadways carbon footprint
 Jul 24 2024, 05:50:23 PM

Broadway Flash said: "Do we know how much upcycling of sceneryand costumes is going on? Why don’t they build a cleaner place in midtown. Wouldn't that be easier for everybody? And much less gas."

There's no straight answer to this. It's going to vary show to show. Cost, appearance, and practicality are the sole major factors when building a show. Unless there's government legislation or extreme tax incentives, "upcycling" is never going to happen on a massive scale.

Sometimes entire packages of scenery/props and costumes get saved and rented out or purchased after a show closes, if an agreement between the producer, the union designer, and others can be made. There's your upcycling.

Theatre people are meticulous on Broadway. Designers and directors have extremely specific ideas about how things should look. That's their job.

Regional theatres do a lot of repurposing for budgetary reasons (repainting lumber, saving hardware and using it until the screws are stripped, reusing costume assets that they own, having a Props Storage). They can do that because they own these things and have a place to store them. A Broadway show is a startup and a musical is being built to last many years.

I don't know what you mean by "build a cleaner place" or who "they," is but drycleaning occurs primarily 10 miles away in the Bronx via Winzer Cleaners, which offers the best rates & level of expertise. Anything occurring in walking distance from the theatres is going to skyrocket because of rent costs. And large/heavy things would still probably have to be trucked.

'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
 Jul 24 2024, 04:45:50 PM

Looks like there's only 3 offstage covers? That's REALLY over-optimistic for Covid times + a show this physically demanding + some performers who aren't of the musical theatre world and 8x a week is a beast.

Adam Lambert -Cabaret
 Jul 24 2024, 04:06:31 PM

Ensemble1696584123 said: "He performs seven shows a week instead of the 8 from earlier. I don't think the title and the show sells on its own in the way it does on the West End.You certainly couldn't have had the kindof follow-up casting that London had. You only need to compare the difference between how much the Monday show sells in advance and the Tuesday one in NY"

Forgot that he's only doing 7 a week.

The reality is MOST revival titles don'

Adam Lambert -Cabaret
 Jul 24 2024, 02:04:54 PM

Lambert does have a fanbase, I just don't know how big it is. It's also a fairly different fanbase than the Redmayne fans.

Credit where it's due: Redmayne has sold a lot better than I expected he would, though the sky-high numbers have softened from where they were at the start (a weekly gross drop of 400-500 and an average ticket drop of about $40).

Given the production value + the title + the sales up to this point, it might be enough to hav

Ragtime at City Center
 Jul 24 2024, 01:18:56 PM

RW3 said: "Is it bad that one of the first things I thought when the announcement came out was "So, is Shaina even involved with Devil Wears Prada anymore?"?"

Per another user on here, she's not actively involved and another individual (whose name escapes me) is credited with "additional lyrics" in the program for London.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You