News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Saw SLY FOX and MATCH

secondactor Profile Photo
secondactor
#0Saw SLY FOX and MATCH
Posted: 3/28/04 at 4:56pm

I'd seen Sly Fox in Boston, but I'd heard it had changed a lot and I loved it so much up there I thought I'd give it another go, and I'm very glad I did. THey've made some changes, and the show comes down at least 10 minutes sooner than it did before, and it really moves with a great pace.

Dishy, Auberjoiner, Pinchot and Scolari are all simply wonderful and funny, Scolari in particular has a physical comedy bit that just about stops the show. And Professor Corey, with not so much as 10 lines, is absolutely priceless.

But to me the show belongs to Dreyfuss and Stoltz, playing the 'father son' thing, and keeping a million balls in the air at the same time. Delightful and charming, very grounded amidst the zany character actors who come in and try to steal the show!

MATCH, on the other hand, left me feeling a bit icey- which may have been their intention. I saw an understudy for the girl who just got the role- which seemed odd- and she was great!

As was Langella, although he was a bit hammy. But then again, that's what I love about him, he's really from the THEA-TAH and plays it up right.

Liotta I found a little wan, but that may have just been his part. Some of the writing I found a little questionable, especially around the end... if you've seen it, you know what I mean. But, all in all, it was compelling.
The direction is lovely and I think it well worth a visit.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#1re: Saw SLY FOX and MATCH
Posted: 3/28/04 at 5:26pm

I REALLY want to see both these works. Even more now!

Kev Profile Photo
Kev
#2re: re: Saw SLY FOX and MATCH
Posted: 3/28/04 at 6:30pm

secondactor...

how were Liz Berkley and Rachel York?

Broadwaylady Profile Photo
Broadwaylady
#3re: re: re: Saw SLY FOX and MATCH
Posted: 3/28/04 at 10:56pm

I have tickets for Match in May. Will try again for Sly Fox again in April.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by moments that take our breath away." "Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."

secondactor
#4Berkley and York
Posted: 3/28/04 at 11:47pm

Elizabeth Berkley was really quite good, in a role I didn't expect to see her in- a prim, pious woman, and the wife of Bob Dishy! She is very lovely and does a fine job.

Rachel York is good as well, but (small critique) she tended to stretch ouuuuut her liiiiiiiiines too much like Scarlett O'Hara, for my taste. Maybe it was nerves or something. She's very beautiful to look at, her costumes alone must have cost a million dollars!

secondactor
#5re; The MEN on Broadway
Posted: 3/28/04 at 11:49pm

And may I say that it's been a long time since I've seen so many straight good looking men on Broadway! Fantastic!

(nothing against my gay friends, but a woman can dream, can't she?)

Videos