Good Musical Theater Colleges?

aspiringguy715 Profile Photo
aspiringguy715
#0Good Musical Theater Colleges?
Posted: 4/6/04 at 9:39pm

if anyone knows of any good musical theater colleges in the US please post them here, i've recently been changing my mind to persue musical theater instead of music education...let me know of good ones Good Musical Theater Colleges?

brdwaybaby17 Profile Photo
brdwaybaby17
#1re: Good Musical Theater Colleges?
Posted: 4/6/04 at 9:49pm

I had a post about this a few months back with some good responses. If you just search for threads..... I think that was mye exact title too.

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#2re: re: Good Musical Theater Colleges?
Posted: 4/6/04 at 10:16pm

Rhymes with Muliard and starts with J

If you want just plain Music that is

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"
Updated On: 4/6/04 at 10:16 PM

#3Good Musical Theater Colleges?
Posted: 4/6/04 at 11:03pm

I've had friends rave about the University of Michigan and Syracuse University. Good luck with your search.

~*Triple Star On Broadway*~ Profile Photo
~*Triple Star On Broadway*~
#4re: Good Musical Theater Colleges?
Posted: 4/6/04 at 11:06pm

Look in New York for some colleges. I know lots of people going to different ones and different people like different criteria of the schools. You just have to pick one that you feel is good for you.

You've gotta have heart AND music

iflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
#5re: re: Good Musical Theater Colleges?
Posted: 4/6/04 at 11:19pm

It is possible to pursue a double major and combine musical theater and music education. One possibility is NYU's Steinhardt School of Education as a Music Theater major.

Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#6re: re: re: Good Musical Theater Colleges?
Posted: 4/6/04 at 11:25pm

Five Towns College in Long Island has a recommended musical theatre/acting program.

scooter38432 Profile Photo
scooter38432
#7re: re: re: re: Good Musical Theater Colleges?
Posted: 4/7/04 at 7:35am

University of Michigan

I'd avoid Emerson College...

Itty Bitty Geisha? Toyland? Gypsy Pasadoble? Just a few popular favorites...

emonkeygirl Profile Photo
emonkeygirl
#8re: re: re: re: re: Good Musical Theater Colleges?
Posted: 4/7/04 at 8:02am

Carnegie Mellon. Very stiff competition, but amazing program.

It's hot and it's monotonous. I want my glasses.

#9Good Musical Theater Colleges?
Posted: 4/7/04 at 10:25am

Now that I think of it, didn't Gavin Creel go to the University of Michigan?
And I know that the one "I Wanna Be in Rent" guy goes there.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#10re: Good Musical Theater Colleges?
Posted: 4/7/04 at 10:34am

Many of my most talented friends graduated from CCM (Cincinatti Conservatory of Music) they have (or had, anyway) a hellish good musical theatre program, judging from the people they turn out - check into it. And Carnegie Melon (sp) turns out extremely talented people.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!
Updated On: 4/7/04 at 10:34 AM

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#11re: re: Good Musical Theater Colleges?
Posted: 4/7/04 at 10:53am

North Carolina School of the Arts

NC has great theatre schools. East Carolina University and UNC-Greensboro are also great choices.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Bwaybaby109
#12re: re: re: Good Musical Theater Colleges?
Posted: 4/7/04 at 11:43am

I major in musical theatre at Shorter College in Rome GA and I the program must be finest in the SOutheast! We have many people who graduated from here on Broadway tours, cruise ships etc. The education is 1st class and we put on amazing shows. I've been wanting to come here since my sophmore year of high school and I have loved my experience so far! Go to www.shorter.edu and take a look! Hope that helps!

"Have a child for warmth and a baker for bread and a prince for... whatever!"

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#13re: re: re: re: Good Musical Theater Colleges?
Posted: 4/7/04 at 12:16pm

I went to North Carolina School of the Arts for Drama and it is a tough-ass school. Also Carnegie Mellon, Boston University, SUNY Purchase, NYU...

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Chrysanthemum62001
#14re: re: re: re: re: Good Musical Theater Colleges?
Posted: 4/7/04 at 3:22pm

Trust me when I say I understand. I have spent many nights over this decision, and haven't been able to come up with a good answer other than double major in music ed and music theatre. But believe me, it is not for the weak of heart. It is an extremely demanding load, and I have wanted to pull my hair out at least a hundred times a day.
I recently recieved some advice that helped me a great deal though. You might want to consider getting a BA in MUED and then go to a really great graduate school (such as NYU) for an MFA in MUTH. Just a thought! Best of luck to whatever you decide to do!

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

Broadway Pixie
#15re: re: re: re: re: re: Good Musical Theater Colleges?
Posted: 4/7/04 at 4:56pm

Elon in North Carolina has a good musical theatre program.

"I'm gonna be someone! Hey world! Look out! It's Evelyn..."

Techieboi
#16re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Good Musical Theater Colleges?
Posted: 4/7/04 at 5:37pm

Write State University in Dayton Ohio.
Oklahoma State
Florida State
University of NY ( I think)

starlight2
#17re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Good Musical Theater Colleges?
Posted: 4/7/04 at 8:08pm

I think you mean "Oklahoma City University" known for their Opera, Musical Theatre, and Dance programs as well as their Miss America Pageant winners located in Oklahoma City, NOT Oklahoma State University, known for their Basketball and Football programs, Vet School and Engineering School, with very little to offer in the performing arts for "serious" students. It is located in Stillwater Oklahoma. I also agree with Carnegie Melon, N. Carolina, Tisch at NYU, Julliard, Ithica and Michigan.

rclocalz Profile Photo
rclocalz
#18re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Good Musical Theater Colleges?
Posted: 4/7/04 at 8:32pm

Awesome program at Middle Tennessee State University for the southeast part. And it's not as expensive as these other schools.

http://www.glamsmash.com/ - Glamsmash Productions, a video production company in the heart of New York City

Techieboi
#19re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Good Musical Theater Colleges?
Posted: 4/7/04 at 8:53pm

ur right.....im sorry im just a techie! re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Good Musical Theater Colleges?

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#20re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Good Musical Theater Colleges?
Posted: 4/7/04 at 9:19pm

Really? Elon University? I heard their Music program was good, but theatre was just average?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

aspiringguy715
#21re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Good Musical Theater Colleges?
Posted: 4/7/04 at 9:24pm

oooooohhhh lord i've looked at all of them and i'm stressing lol
my parents already gave me the "it's a risky career choice" speech
"And while a major in musical theater is no guarantee that you’ll see your name in Broadway lights, you’ll learn a great deal about this art form and you’ll definitely have a very good time."
ohhhh isnt the princeton review soooooo encouraging, and my parents will surely be happy to spend tens of thousands of dollars on me having fun and taking a chance (not)
Cincinatti sounds the toughest out of all of them, carnegie mellon sounds good, as does ithaca and NYU Updated On: 4/7/04 at 09:24 PM

iflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
#22re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Good Musical Theater Colleges?
Posted: 4/7/04 at 9:49pm

Just throwingt in a dose of reality. The number of really talented people who audition for a small number of spots at alot of these schools is astounding. Take, for instance, Carnegie Mellon. According to an official at a CMU audition, they see about 900 people for 28 spots...of the 28 spots, only 10 to 12 are for musical theater, Not really very good odds, no matter how talented you are. My daughter was rejected for musical theater, but they would take her for acting. The problem is, her greatest talent and passion is as a singer and $40,000 is a lot of money to spend and not really be able to do what you love.

Other "big" name musical theater programs seem to have similar odds. The day we were at Ithaca, there were literally more than a hundred people auditioning. (And this was just one of several audition days.) Call me crazy, but I'm thinking that everyone starts to look the same by 3 pm, if that's when your 5 minute audition spot happens to fall.

I'm not saying this to be discouraging, just trying to put things in perspective. My advice would be to shoot for the stars...why not... but audition for several schools and do it early; don't wait until February. By then a lot of spots have been filled.

One other thing...SUNY Purchase doesn't have musical theater. It's focus is on opera.

Good luck!

Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10

aspiringguy715
#23re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Good Musical Theater Colleges?
Posted: 4/7/04 at 9:54pm

yeah i agree, the talent pool of these colleges is enormous, plus they stress dancing too, and heaven knows i've never had any dance training, my focus is vocally as well and i'd love to make it, but the chance is so huge, seemingly impossible, and my parents won't be too open to paying that money for me to keep trying and trying and trying if i dont make early

Gatesy2 Profile Photo
Gatesy2
#24re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Good Musical Theater Colleges?
Posted: 4/7/04 at 10:30pm

I am currently a Musical Theater major at SUNY Cortland (it's in central NY). Although we are a small program we are building a reputation as an outstanding program. Our past two mainstage musicals were "Chicago" and "The Mystery of Edwin Drood". Both of whom were the talk of the community as well as neighboring cities, which says alot because we are in the shadows of other theater/music schools (ie Syracuse and Ithaca). We also do a straight play every fall. This year we had the debut production of "Round O and Crooked S". A show I'm sure you will hear about in the near future. We offer a BA and our graduates have had a high success rate once they leave here out in the real world. One of our future grads (leaves in May), just got in a production of "Beauty and the Beast" as Gaston and another Graduate finished a year long tour with Sesame Street Live. We're a small program, but we're slowly growing and offer a wonderful theater/liberal arts education

Videos