pixeltracker

Availability of Certain Musicals

Availability of Certain Musicals

ChicagoManic Profile Photo
ChicagoManic
#0Availability of Certain Musicals
Posted: 8/27/04 at 4:06am

Ok I have a question. I was searching MTI's (Musical Theater Institute) website and came across "Little Shop Of Horrors". As of now it isn't restricted and the rights available. I was under the impression that once a musical is on tour, as LSOH is, the rights were no longer available. The rights for Chicago I believe are restricted once the tour begins. Is this because Chicago's rights are owned by Samuel French and not MTI? Do they have different policies? Inquiring minds want to know.

Carrie: Maybe the past is like an anchor holding us back. Maybe, you have to let go of who you are to become who you will be.

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#1re: Availability of Certain Musicals
Posted: 8/27/04 at 8:26am

It's show to show and what the producers want to do. 'Little Shop' might be restricted if the tour's coming within a certain radius of a city but there's no reason that because the tour's in Cleveland that someone in Texas can't do the show.

'Chicago' can be done, just not if the tour's going to be in a competitive market at a similar part of the year.

ChicagoManic Profile Photo
ChicagoManic
#2re: Availability of Certain Musicals
Posted: 8/27/04 at 8:47am

Much thanks for clearing that up. It was troubling me there for awhile lol.

Carrie: Maybe the past is like an anchor holding us back. Maybe, you have to let go of who you are to become who you will be.

ChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
#3re: Availability of Certain Musicals
Posted: 8/27/04 at 10:22am

It also depends on the type of organization that wants to produce it. (Professional, Community etc.)

Gypsy - Betty Buckley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN5XoB5vFs&feature=youtu.be

Derek2
#4re: Availability of Certain Musicals
Posted: 8/27/04 at 10:42am

Yeah it depends. If I community theatre wants to do a production of say Guys and Dolls but a proffesional theatre is doing it 20 miles away, it is restricted to you. I think the minimum distance is 50 miles for MTI. We wanted to do 42nd Street last year but couldnt because we're about 45 miles from the city. However a town not to far from us did the production. It all depends on distance and whether or not ur theatre is professional or not:)

ChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
#5re: Availability of Certain Musicals
Posted: 8/27/04 at 10:44am

Yes, but if a professional theatre applies to the rights for the same show that a community theatre also has an interest in, the professional company will typically get them. I deal with this everyday.

Gypsy - Betty Buckley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN5XoB5vFs&feature=youtu.be

Derek2
#6re: Availability of Certain Musicals
Posted: 8/27/04 at 11:06am

Yes thats true as well