What's a Charm Song?

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#25re: What's a Charm Song?
Posted: 8/31/20 at 1:42pm

Lot666 said: "joevitus said: "Lot666 said: "joevitus said: "The most recent example I can think of is "I Love Play Rehearsal" from Be More Chill."

I understand your reasoning, but for me, that was the least charming song in the Be More Chillscore. It didn't endear the character to me; it compelled me to dismiss her as incredibly annoying.
"

To each their own. I loved the concept of dream-girl-as-spaz. Lot's of geek boy characters in musical theater, nice to see a geek girl.
"

Please don't misunderstand; I was fine with having the sought-after girl be a theatre nerd. My objection was specifically with the song, which I found incredibly annoying. That song put a serious dent in her likability for me.
"

I was misunderstanding you, sorry. For the record (pun?), there are songs in the show I don't like much ("The Smartphone Hour" "The Pants Song" and the two songs added for Broadway which aren't very good and belabor points already made in other numbers), but this isn't one of them. No biggie that you disagree, though. I like your comments.

goodlead
#26re: What's a Charm Song?
Posted: 8/31/20 at 6:39pm

In the first year of the BMI Workshop conducted by Lehman Engle, participants were supposed to write three types of songs:: ballads and comedy songs as well as charm songs. Engle saw those as the three most common and useful types of theater songs. Another musical comedy expert, I don't know the name, proposed a different typology, including the ""I Am" song and the 'I Want Song," and probably others. They are both slicing the same apple using different knives.

goodlead
#27re: What's a Charm Song?
Posted: 8/31/20 at 6:39pm

In the first year of the BMI Workshop conducted by Lehman Engle, participants were supposed to write three types of songs:: ballads and comedy songs as well as charm songs. Engle saw those as the three most common and useful types of theater songs. Another musical comedy expert, I don't know the name, proposed a different typology, including the ""I Am" song and the 'I Want Song," and probably others. They are both slicing the same apple using different knives.

Videos