News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for goodlead

Member Name: goodlead
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread  Jun 6 2023, 09:54:00 PM

For those who have seen Jessica or are curious abut her, I recommend a movie version of Strindberg's Miss Julie, produced in 2014, with her in the title role. An amazing, powerful performance -- unforgettable.  It's available on Kanopy.

American Airlines Theatre will be renamed Todd Haimes Theatre  Jun 3 2023, 03:10:26 PM

At least it's more organic than the forced renaming of a theater for Lena Horne.  (Start throwing those brickbats now.)

Sondheim on "Oklahoma"  Jun 2 2023, 07:22:58 PM

Sondheim said that "Oklahoma!" is about homosexuality on the prairie  -- maybe not his exact words but certainly his thought.  Does anyone understand what he meant?  It's certainly a one-of-a-kind reaction..

Menken, Benjamin, Kernochan, and Lapine developing a NANCY DREW musical  May 12 2023, 02:57:22 PM

In the late 1970s, a similar musical titled "Trixie True, Teen Detective" played  the Lortel..  I  think it ran for about two weeks.

SONG OF BERNADETTE musical  Apr 24 2023, 11:31:43 AM

I believe that binau is up for the lead.

BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread  Mar 24 2023, 09:34:43 AM

Amid all the bad-mouthing  of the show itself, where are the apparently obligatory notes of sympathy for the hard-working cast and crew?

Head mics  Sep 7 2022, 04:37:30 PM

How do you feel about head mics?  Have they been around so long that you hardly notice them, or do they impose themselves and take away from the on-stage illusion?

A Raisin in the Sun at The Public this fall  Aug 1 2022, 05:07:42 PM

It's ironic that the Public is doing this because George Wolfe got his start at the Public when it produced The Colored Museum, with its notorious parody of Raisin called The Mama on the Couch Play.

Beautiful/Inspirational end of act Chorus - who invented?  Jul 28 2022, 04:30:35 PM

"Make Our Garden Grow" from Candide.

Bye Bye Birdie - general thoughts?  Jul 15 2022, 02:08:41 PM

I saw and LOVED the original Broadway production.  The audience was completely with it from the overture onward.  There were a few lines excised from later productions about what a sweet old lady was the mother of Gypsy Rose Lee (Gypsy had opened a few months before).

I saw and HATED Bring Back Birdie.  Peter Filichia wrote about the first preview of the latter show -- how the entire audience was primed for a show as good as its predecessor.&nb

"Company" question  Jul 13 2022, 03:28:16 PM

I know she did for one of the scenes -- not sure which one.

Actual Video Footage Of Jessica Tandy In STREETCAR  Jun 29 2022, 02:12:19 PM

I was impressed by how pretty she was -- and also pulled together.  We usually think of Blanche as at the edge of madness -- but not in this scene.

Unpleasant theater audiences  Jun 24 2022, 07:50:55 PM

I notice that since B'way reopened, there haven't been any posts about rude audience behavior.  Are audiences been behaving better, or has rudeness become the new normal?

Broadway Songs About Revenge by Women  Jun 9 2022, 06:06:30 PM

"Pirate Jenny" from The Threepenny Opera.

Audrey Hepburn musical to open Off-Broadway  Jun 9 2022, 06:03:01 PM

The problem with any show about Audrey is that any actress playing her has to have that ineffable "Audrey" quality, and none of them has it. Remember when they remade "Sabrina," with Julia Ormond trying to stand in for Audrey. Well, it ended her career post-haste.

THE MUSIC MAN Announces Standing Room Policy With $76 Tickets  May 17 2022, 12:36:42 PM

Well, if one wants to go way back (and I do), you could have gotten standing room for Funny Girl, Bye Bye Birdie, and Fiddler for about $2.90 to $3.50.

Has there ever truly been a show that had a total financial turnaround after the Tony's?  May 14 2022, 03:20:14 PM

Plays could get a boost from the Tonys, but the show's producers have never found an effective way to present play excerpts.

Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW  Apr 14 2022, 06:14:44 PM
As to how this version differs from others: Sondheim said , in his decision to work on "Do I Hear a Waltz," "I said yes when I should have said no." In the Friedman version, this seems to be the root of Frank's problem. He should, for example, said no to Gussie when he had the chance. I don't recall whether the book was rewritten, but this struck me strongly when I saw the production.
Is a "National Theatre at Home" subscription worth it?  Jan 8 2022, 02:23:00 PM

I watched a couple of these when they were free and was sad to see that they were completely overblown.  "Streetcar" was staged as if it was a boxing match with lots of unneeded business between each round/scene.  "The Deep Blue Sea" was set in much too large a space for the claustrophobic drama it was.  And "Amadeus" became an elaborate pageant.  Only "Les Blancs" worked.

No doubt many of you will disagree, but I would have b

Musical Songs Within Other Musicals  Dec 8 2021, 02:30:12 PM

The movie "Tik Tik Boom" includes a version of Sondheim's "Sunday."

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You