little shop

BabyJohn Profile Photo
BabyJohn
#0little shop
Posted: 7/22/05 at 9:32pm

A Local Childrens Theater Company this year put on a production of Little Shop of Horrors but a friend and i are the only people who seem offended. Am I overreacting? (They also did Les Miz)

KRISTEN CHENOWETH To show my gratitude, I'll offer you this pointy black hat, which is just like the one Original Wicked Witch Margaret Hamilton wore in the movie! IDINA MENZEL What a great idea! How about throughout the play, you continue to offer me things like a black cloak, or a black cape, or a broom to make me look more and more like Margaret Hamilton did! These attempts at humor will be painfully predictable from a mile away! AUDIENCE collectively groans.

Beergoggles
#1re: little shop
Posted: 7/22/05 at 9:44pm

if they do it well what's the problem? i think kids should be allowed to do shows like shop and mis... if it's not too adult for them then they should be given the opportunity! Remember, it's these children who may be the next Broadway star!

Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!

BabyJohn Profile Photo
BabyJohn
#2re: little shop
Posted: 7/22/05 at 9:50pm

But still... Going under the name of a childrens theater...doing little shop and a show with Prostitutes like Les Miz with kids who are 8 or 9...I just find it a little odd.

KRISTEN CHENOWETH To show my gratitude, I'll offer you this pointy black hat, which is just like the one Original Wicked Witch Margaret Hamilton wore in the movie! IDINA MENZEL What a great idea! How about throughout the play, you continue to offer me things like a black cloak, or a black cape, or a broom to make me look more and more like Margaret Hamilton did! These attempts at humor will be painfully predictable from a mile away! AUDIENCE collectively groans.

BluCat500 Profile Photo
BluCat500
#3re: little shop
Posted: 7/22/05 at 9:52pm

My middle school, did Little Shop of Horrors and everyone lived to tell the tale...

So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.~Office Space

Beergoggles
#4re: little shop
Posted: 7/22/05 at 9:57pm

i thought the prostitutes were erased from the childrens score? It's a grey area really... i mean Nancy in all fairness is a prostitute in the musical and in the novel is between 14-16. In Joespeh there is adultary hinted at, Gypsy is aboust a stripper, blood brothers has drug dependancy and murder, my fair lady "i'm a good girl i am" means she wasn't a prostitute unlike many of the flower sellers round convent garden, west side story has racism and violence in it... yet i have seen all of these performed by childrens theatre companys... if it's tactfully done!!

Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!

Eliza0114
#5re: little shop
Posted: 7/22/05 at 10:00pm

it's theatre. these children are going to be exposed to it at some point...if they can pull it off, why not now? I say kudos to the person who treated them as adults and gave them the opportunity. likewise, there ARE children in shows like Les Miz (little Cosette and Eponine, and Gavroche) and no one has ever had a problem with them. I definitely think you are overreacting...theatre is a gift. these kids have as much right as anyone else.

"you can take the girl out of Hicksville, but you can't take the Hicksville out of the girl." ~Rent

Eliza0114
#6re: little shop
Posted: 7/22/05 at 10:01pm

also, the message in Les Miz is an inspiring one...one that should not be hidden. the "prostitution" included serves only to set the scene...show the corruption in the area. it all has a point, I swear.

"you can take the girl out of Hicksville, but you can't take the Hicksville out of the girl." ~Rent

Videos