pixeltracker

"Amour" At Goodspeed - I Recommend Going!

"Amour" At Goodspeed - I Recommend Going!

do_re_milla Profile Photo
do_re_milla
#0"Amour" At Goodspeed - I Recommend Going!
Posted: 8/14/05 at 11:19pm

I'm happy to report that I enjoyed this production tremendously.

I again say that I believe that if Amour had been mounted Off-Bway, it would probably still be running. It was fabulous seeing it in a more intimate setting.

The cast is very strong fr top to bottom & today's perf was the 4th perf. You could also tell that the cast & orch loved working together.

Joe Farrell as Dusoleil is, in a word, "perfect" for this role. Excellent voice, & vocal technique. Acting terrific. Gets was out when I saw the show & Christian Borle was most enjoyable. Sadly, the show was closed the day before I was to see it w/Gets.

Deborah Lew is beauuuuuutiful & exudes charm & is delightful as Isabelle. I remember her as the Pink Sheep in Candide.

Albin Konopka is the conductor & he & the orch gave just the right support w/arr's that were enchanting. I had the pleasure of working w/Albin in "Music in the Air" dir'd by Jamie Hammerstein.

Here's the rest of the cast:

Madeleine, Amanda Naughton

Doctor/Policeman/President, Gordon Stanley

Whore/Claire, Mary Jo Mecca

Charles/Prosecutor, Price Waldman

Newsvendor/Advocate/Bertrand, Michael Thomas Holmes

Boss/Policeman, T. Doyle Leverett

Painter, Joshua Finkel

We spoke briefly w/Deborah Lew & Peggy Hickey, choreog. The show will not be reviewed by press, so there's no opening date. Michel LeGrand will be at the show this Thurs. The Eng. t'lation has been tweeked. It is indeed a "safe space" to work in. I also think that the Goodspeed audience got it. There was laughter in all appropriate places, etc. Set is simple & functional but not lacking. Costumes were very good. Isabelle's were gorgeous!

It was an incredibly moving experience for me, & as some of you may remember, I also adored Amour on Bway. If I can, I'll go up again. Today was definitely 1 for my memory book.

Playing August 11-September 4

Milla
Updated On: 8/14/05 at 11:19 PM

centerstage01 Profile Photo
centerstage01
#1re: 'Amour' At Goodspeed - I Recommend Going!
Posted: 8/15/05 at 12:11am

Cool! Thanks for the review, Milla.

"What might have been/can live again/I'll meet you then/if you'll remember when...." --Rupert Holmes

do_re_milla
#2re: 'Amour' At Goodspeed - I Recommend Going!
Posted: 8/15/05 at 5:13pm

I'd like to read anyone else's review if they make it up to "Amour."

Milla

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#3re: 'Amour' At Goodspeed - I Recommend Going!
Posted: 8/15/05 at 6:04pm

OH. EM. GEE!

Amour is one of my all time favorite shows and (i dont mean to gush buuut...) its so awesome and beuatiful and awesome and amazing and did i mention awesome? and i cant believe i will never see it again!

awesome

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

do_re_milla
#4re: 'Amour' At Goodspeed - I Recommend Going!
Posted: 8/15/05 at 9:22pm

awesome, hummmm. Does that mean you won't make it to Goodspeed?

Too bad, so sad 'cause I think real "Amour" fans would enjoy it.

Milla

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#5re: 'Amour' At Goodspeed - I Recommend Going!
Posted: 8/15/05 at 9:30pm

nah... i just left the east coast not to return till a NYC trip in November.. its sad, i was hoping to catch it but never got around to it

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

Videos