Please Help for auditions

aspiringactor
#0Please Help for auditions
Posted: 8/27/05 at 11:49pm

Hey Guys - I know that there was already a thread about the cattle calls in Boston on the 30th and the 31st; but I really wanted to make sure that my question was answered, and I wasn't sure that the question would have been answered in the middle of the thread. Anyway - I couldn't think of what to sing - but I finally decided on (and please -hold the tomatoes) Dancing through life. I know, I know - but it sounds great with my voice - and I really want them to see that I have what it takes. Please - if you don't agree - give some suggestions (it's my first call on this level - and I'm going in blinded) and remember - I only have a couple days - which is not quite enough time to learn a whole new, infamiliar song from a whole new, unfamilier musical - try for some good, classic Pop Rock - I am a high tenor; but it's a capella - so I can change the key to fit. Also - what kind of questions would be innapropriate to ask at the audition - such as "When will I hear from you?" appropriate or not, etc. Thanks so much guys - I really appreciate it.
Updated On: 8/28/05 at 11:49 PM

*ClassicVintage* Profile Photo
*ClassicVintage*
#1re: Please Help for auditions
Posted: 8/28/05 at 1:41am

First of all, relax. No matter what happens, have fun with the process, it truly shows to the casting team and it makes their time easier. Remember that they want you to get the job and to be the most talented person to grace the earth, they aren't there to give you a hard time.

Dancing Through Life is not the ideal song not only because it is from a popular show at the moment, but because you will be auditioning for the show that it was from. What other musicals are you familiar with?

As for questions to ask-- the less the better in most cases. Asking when you will know by isn't a good thing to question them about because they probably have a very loose time frame, if one at all. They could call you back the very next day or within the year or even remember you a few years down the line. I hope that I helped.

Beyond talent lie all the usual words: discipline, love, luck- most of all endurance.

WickedPhantomKitty
#2re: Please Help for auditions
Posted: 8/28/05 at 3:39am

"Dancing Through Life" probably isn't the best choice. My boyfriend is a high tenor and he usually auditions for stuff with "A World Without You" from Children of Eden. It might be a good song to consider if your familiar with it. Just a suggestion and good luck.

Kathleen2
#3re: Please Help for auditions
Posted: 8/28/05 at 9:11am

Yeah "Dancing Through Life" wouldn't be a good first choice..ONLY because it's so popular. But I think personally that if it shows off your range and you can sing it well then go for it! A big reason that casting gets tired of hearing songs from Les Miz, Wicked, Phantom etc. is because yeah they're very popular, but those are the songs just anyone will sing..and they sing it bad. They get tired of hearing a fantastic song sung so horribly. But like I said, if you're confident in DTL then stick with it. Why change something that is already good for you?

aspiringactor
#4re: Please Help for auditions
Posted: 8/28/05 at 9:32am

Thanks for the help so far Kathleen2, WickedPhantomKitty, and ClassicVintage (you've definately helped a lot) - Anyone else?

Videos