pixeltracker

Threepenny Opera Reviews- Page 3

Threepenny Opera Reviews

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#50re: Threepenny Opera Reviews
Posted: 4/20/06 at 8:24pm

Well, like I said before, if it doesn't get recorded, I bet a key factor involved will be Wallace Shawn's new translation. I could easily see the Weill/Brecht estate deciding not to preserve it.
Updated On: 4/20/06 at 08:24 PM

BSoBW2
#51re: Threepenny Opera Reviews
Posted: 4/20/06 at 8:53pm

MB - I can see that, too.

But, honestly, Weill's score never sounded better!

And we may luxuriate in Lauper's drunken-ostrich rendition of "Solomon Song."

Ummm....WHAT the hell kind of compliment is that? Or, rather, what the hell kind of critique is that?

G-d, someone is really pissed off. I can't imagine Brantley's review being anymore pissy. But I am trying.

Updated On: 4/20/06 at 08:53 PM

Yankeefan007
Michael Bennett
#53re: Threepenny Opera Reviews
Posted: 4/20/06 at 9:00pm

eek - well there goes any Tony chances, except for maybe an extreme long shot chance for Nellie McKay.

FoscasBohemianDream
#54re: Threepenny Opera Reviews
Posted: 4/20/06 at 9:01pm

And I thought Lauper would be considered the highlight of the production, apparently Nellie McKay is stealing everyone's thunder...

BSoBW2
#55re: Threepenny Opera Reviews
Posted: 4/20/06 at 9:02pm

Cyndi got a good review, though!

I think I agree with Brantley's review.

But, again, I don't think this is the 3Penny for Brecht purists.
I don't know if that's a good thing, or a bad thing.

I thought Brantley's review would be more painful.

ETA: Some great pictures on that audio slide show! Updated On: 4/20/06 at 09:02 PM

Michael Bennett
#56re: Threepenny Opera Reviews
Posted: 4/20/06 at 9:06pm

The highlights of the NY TIMES Review:

AND you thought those crazy, hazy nights when Studio 54 sizzled were strictly a thing of the past. Think again, disco boys and girls. Why right now — on the very spot where Halston, Liza, Bianca and Andy once held sybaritic court — you can watch the same kinds of revels they might have witnessed in the 1970's, thanks to the shrill, numbing revival of "The Threepenny Opera" that opened at the theater at Studio 54 last night.

There's one big difference: nobody in the current incarnation of those days of swine and poses seems to be having any fun. This is one party where the hangover begins almost as soon as the evening does.

Looking like Dietrich and sounding like a Brooklyn Piaf, Ms. Lauper delivers Jenny's ballads with teary, soulful intensity. She also leads, in Lenya-like style, the show's famous prologue, "Song of the Extraordinary Crimes of Mac the Knife." That marvelous trouper Jim Dale plays Mr. Peachum, Polly's father and the head of a vast network of beggars, in the seedy music-hall style of Laurence Olivier in "The Entertainer." As his wife, Ana Gasteyer talks like a shrill Scarsdale matron and sings penetratingly in a voice of a hundred trumpets.

Mr. Cumming brings much conviction and agony to Macheath's songs of the oppressed in the prison and hanging scenes. But there's little sense of the menacing charisma that keeps all of London atremble.

Ms. McKay, the inventive and seriously talented young singer-songwriter ("Get Away From Me"), comes closest to achieving a Brechtian effect. Clad in trailing pre-Raphaelite bridal white, her Polly speaks and sings with a flat, deadpan sincerity that suggests sugary blandness can accommodate a multitude of sins. It's a brave, carefully thought-out performance, though its willful affectlessness means that songs like "Pirate Jenny" (restored to Polly here, as in the original version) have no chance of being showstoppers.

Updated On: 4/20/06 at 09:06 PM

BSoBW2
#57re: Threepenny Opera Reviews
Posted: 4/20/06 at 9:09pm

Yeah, at least Dale, Lauper, and McKay are getting looks.

Would McKay be supporting?

I guess there goes a nom for Rooney.

FoscasBohemianDream
#58re: Threepenny Opera Reviews
Posted: 4/20/06 at 9:11pm

Talkin' Broadway is positive, the one I agree with the most:

"So if you're going to take umbrage to any new calculation, or (worse yet!) a new translation (by actor-playwright Wallace Shawn), of Brecht's original German play, you might as well stay home. This Threepenny is not for you. It is, however, for everyone else."
--------
"So it's unsurprising that the story of independent-businessman thief Macheath (Cumming) doing battle with corporatizer Jonathan Peachum (Dale) and his wife (Gasteyer), the head of a coalition of the city's beggars, is communicated so clearly and cleanly. The marriage of Macheath to Peachum's daughter, Polly (McKay), appropriately rocks the Peachum power structure. Polly's battle for Macheath's affections with his other squeeze, Lucy Brown (played, brilliantly, by male actor Brian Charles Rooney), the daughter of a corrupt policeman, is comically vicious. Even Macheath's ultimate fate, spurned by conscience-driven liberalism riding in on a traditional deus ex machina, is startlingly well integrated.

However, it must be stated - and some might consider this a flaw - that the production packs all the emotional punch of doing laundry. The plight of the poor registers intellectually (which Brecht might appreciate), but the ghoulish, leather-clad ensemble of the damned - costumed by, of all people, Isaac Mizrahi - don't look like they're suffering much (at which Brecht might frown). And while some cast members, particularly Lauper and McKay, cut arresting forms onstage and knock out the songs like natural-born interpreters (at times, McKay sounds and acts like Judy Garland at her most vulnerably pouty), their characterizations are otherwise most charitably described as approximate."
------
"But what really matters is how much of Brecht truly emerges from this production. Elliott and his company have grippingly postulated what Brecht himself might have created were he still alive and revisiting his own work: They've made alterations of material and tone that nonetheless leave the spirit of the original firmly intact. That alone makes this Threepenny Opera far and away the least alienating, and most successful, musical revival of the season."

Review Updated On: 4/20/06 at 09:11 PM

BSoBW2
#59re: Threepenny Opera Reviews
Posted: 4/20/06 at 9:14pm

I thought Rooney was fantastic.

Anyway, I agree with the Talkin' Broadway...it isn't for the purists.

And I think that Lauper and McKay WILL be playing the roles differently because this production is so different.

dirty rotten guy Profile Photo
dirty rotten guy
#60re: Threepenny Opera Reviews
Posted: 4/20/06 at 9:15pm

It really seems like the reviewers are having more of a problem with Brecht than with the production itself and are taking it out on the wrong things. I am incredibly suprised and sadened by the reaction from critics.

"The hallmark of aristocracy is responsibility. Oh brother, that got me, that did me in!"

BSoBW2
#61re: Threepenny Opera Reviews
Posted: 4/20/06 at 9:15pm

With Brecht?

What he do?

Michael Bennett
#62re: Threepenny Opera Reviews
Posted: 4/20/06 at 9:16pm

No, I think the reviewers are having a problem with Elliott's interpretation of Brecht...

And Matthew Murray is an idiot. If the show is the least alienating of the season, it hasn't served Brecht well at all. The entire point of the show is to alienate the audience.
Updated On: 4/20/06 at 09:16 PM

GirlforTartaglia Profile Photo
GirlforTartaglia
#63re: Threepenny Opera Reviews
Posted: 4/20/06 at 9:17pm

ddtruit - you HAVE to admit his voice was pure amazement, even if you didn't like his take on Lucy, correct?
I thought he was definately a highlight.
Geez, this show is becoming so controversial!

And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.

dirty rotten guy
#64re: Threepenny Opera Reviews
Posted: 4/20/06 at 9:19pm

Alot of these negative reviews seem to be criticizing the premise of the show itself and the intended alienation. Personally I love the show but if this is going to be their complaint it should rest on the show itself and not this production, something none of the critics seem to realize.

"The hallmark of aristocracy is responsibility. Oh brother, that got me, that did me in!"

BSoBW2
#65re: Threepenny Opera Reviews
Posted: 4/20/06 at 9:20pm

"Geez, this show is becoming so controversial!"
Brecht must be smiling up at us.

OK, Roundabout, don't chicken out! OK, Brecht/Weill estate, don't chicken out! RECORD THE SHOW!

I do agree that Alan's mohawk doesn't work with Brecht's idea. But, whatever.

DRG - the reviews seem to be critizing the fact that the alienation effect was taken too far...or that it isn't following pure Brecht standards.
Updated On: 4/20/06 at 09:20 PM

Michael Bennett
#66re: Threepenny Opera Reviews
Posted: 4/20/06 at 9:21pm

Dirty rotten - there is a difference between premise and concept - I think you are confusing critics disdain for Elliott's concept of Brecht's premise. No theatre critic with half a brain is going to bash Brecht's theatrical conceits at this late stage of the game.

GirlforTartaglia
#67re: Threepenny Opera Reviews
Posted: 4/20/06 at 9:24pm

Dirty Rotten Guy - exactly.
If they don't like the plot, that shouldn't influence their critiques. Of course it's not for everyone. It's gritty, it's risque. Some people don't like that.
People don't like it when things are different. This show clearly was outside of any moldings, it took a big risk and with MANY audience members the risk paid off.
Just because these select few people writing the reviews didn't like it, it definatley does not create the consensus. Of course it has mixed reviews. Of course some people hated it. But then again, it had MANY MANY MANY redeeming qualities for people like myself to absolutley fall in love with it.

What I HATE is that Broadway.com review which basically phrases the show as 'three long hours of crap'. I don't see how people disliked it because of it's time and its boringness - it wasnt boring - you just were uninterested in the subject matter at hand. And for goodness sake, I had to pee soo badly throughout the second half of the show and I STILL loved EVERY second of everything. Timing was not a problem for me, nor did anything go over my 16 year old head. I found it amazing, as I've said already.

And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.

dirty rotten guy
#68re: Threepenny Opera Reviews
Posted: 4/20/06 at 9:25pm

But how can it be too alienating? If it disgusted you so much that you walked out, wouldnt that just please Brecht more? From how I understand it, the piece is supposed to make you angry and take another look inside yourself and the world arround you. This way the show will cause you to take an action, which is intended. I just cant understand how, under Brecht's concept, the alienation effect can be taken too far. Mabye I just have a bad interpretation...

Updated On: 4/20/06 at 09:25 PM

GirlforTartaglia
#69re: Threepenny Opera Reviews
Posted: 4/20/06 at 9:26pm

Bso - Ha! Brecht loves it. And Brecht also knew what it meant to be different , obviously, and I bet appreciates this version in at least one respect.

GirlforTartaglia
#70re: Threepenny Opera Reviews

double post, oops

Updated On: 4/20/06 at 09:26 PM

BSoBW2
#71re: Threepenny Opera Reviews

dd - are you a purist that went in pouty that Lucy going to be played by a man?

Just wondering...

It seems you have a personal hatred for him in this role...

Also, when did you see the show?

GirlforTartaglia
#72re: Threepenny Opera Reviews
Posted: 4/20/06 at 9:28pm

I have to go, but I'm not giving up the fight for this show! :P

BSoBW2
#73re: Threepenny Opera Reviews
Posted: 4/20/06 at 9:29pm

No, no. I think it is the fact that Elliot was beating us over the gead with the alienation effect. Sort of like he wanted to make sure we knew we were alienated. I personally loved it. Anyway.

I think reviewers are upset that this translation leaves out so many of Brecht's concepts. OK, I admit it. After seeing the revival, I read the original German lyrics. Sort of.

bwayondabrain
#74re: Threepenny Opera Reviews
Posted: 4/20/06 at 9:29pm

i dont know if you guys have seen and talked about this already, but broadway.com had a VERY negative review

fyi...

i can post a link if yall want

Videos