Phantom Ad--Creepy?

Hawker
#25re: Phantom Ad--Creepy?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 1:39pm

"labels are for cans."

They're also for biologists, botonists, psychologists, lawyers, clerics, pilots, and artists.

Lighten up.

David Shapiro in his classic work discussing modes of perception explained how some individuals have a predisposition to see the view the world in an "impressionistic" way. For example, whereas one person might enter a home and say, "I don'tlike it. It gives me a creepy feeling." a second might say "I don't like it. Too much stone for me. It reminds me of a room I saw in a castle in England; particularly the masonry of the fireplace."

Neither "style" of description is superior or inferior or more or less sophisticated than the other. Galileo viewed stars one way; Van Gogh another.

It all depends on context and discussing theater is hardly a context with rigid standards of description.

Hawker
#26re: Phantom Ad--Creepy?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 1:43pm

"I hate it, too. But I guess sex sells."

Notwithstanding its merchandising merits, I think it by far captured the tone of the original source material. No other POTO marketing piece even hinted at the sexual obsession "Eric" had with Christine Daee."

Like it or not, it's far more aligned with what Leroux was going for in his book.

DezBryner
#27re: Phantom Ad--Creepy?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 1:45pm

Amen Hawker!! People's opinions are so subjective. Yes, there's something to be said for the experience of the person adding some weight to their opinion. However, generally, people can only form opinions based on what they've experienced in the past and someone with fewer theatre, or for that matter LIFE, experience will have a narrower frame of reference to base their opinion on.

missyrose87
#28re: Phantom Ad--Creepy?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 1:55pm

I agree with everyone who said that the Remember Your First Time was their favorite.

yellibean2
#29re: Phantom Ad--Creepy?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 3:01pm

The lack of name thing is nothing new, the playbills never had the name written on them since the beginning. But I do have to say just as the majority I prefer the Remember Your First Time one. Not only because it helps me remember mine as I'm sure it does for others but because it really added that subtle hint of romance (and yes, sexuality).

EganFan2
#30re: Phantom Ad--Creepy?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 5:24pm

>>>Notwithstanding its merchandising merits, I think it by far captured the tone of the original source material. No other POTO marketing piece even hinted at the sexual obsession "Eric" had with Christine Daee."

Like it or not, it's far more aligned with what Leroux was going for in his book.

Yes, there is sexuality in POTO, starting with the novel. It's actually quite Victorian, if you think about it, though it was written in the early 1900s. The danger is from a man who is threatening a virginal young girl. Kind of like "Dracula" in that sense.

However, it's just interesting that they chose such a lurid depiction, rather than just the very sensual MOTN pose or some variation of that.

ThankstoPhantom
#31re: Phantom Ad--Creepy?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 5:55pm

At least the purple background isn't the official logo.

Another vote from me for "Remember your first time..."

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

Hawker
#32re: Phantom Ad--Creepy?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 6:04pm

Re: I agree with everyone...

It certainly was marketing genius insofar as it subtley suggested it was a given that it was commonly seen more thanonce.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#33re: Phantom Ad--Creepy?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 6:42pm

No I certainly don't think the "ETERNALLY YOURS" ad is "creepy" nor the one at the mirror. I love them both. Remember the storyline and that the one come from London- Europe is much more liberal in their ads.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

neddyfrank2
#34re: Phantom Ad--Creepy?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 6:53pm

By creepy, I mean wierd.