A Chorus Line

robUK Profile Photo
robUK
#5re: A Chorus Line
Posted: 6/30/07 at 11:24am

Oh how wrong you can be, ACL needs a 40' proscenium opening and there are only 4 in the entire west end that could house it. I am in constant touch with the B/Way producers and know this to be fact. Most of the W Ends theatres are 25-34 feet so way too small! I have researched every single one of our theatres.

robUK Profile Photo
robUK
#8re: A Chorus Line
Posted: 7/1/07 at 4:50am

I am afraid you are wrong again, the Schoenfeld has axactly a pros opening of 40'. Please dont argue. Of the 4 theatres and it is only 4 in London that could house it. ie the Prince of Wales, Prince Edward Drury Lane and the Paladium. There is not a chance of the possible 2 (which might become available in the next 2 years) that could house it to be altered. the line consistes of 17 dancers each requiring 2 feet. Work it out for yourself.and requires a considerable depth for the routines.The requirments of the trust which looks after the shows interests will not allow changes to the production. Of the other w end theatres they are way too small as most of Londons theatres are playhouses.

robUK Profile Photo
robUK
#12re: A Chorus Line
Posted: 7/1/07 at 11:59am

Cheers Ryan. it def wont go into Drury Lane as this proved to be a barn of a place last time and way too big. I agree with you about Jersey Boys, I have tried but cannot imagine it lasting beyond a few weeks months at the most. So am hoping it goes in there unless Mamma Mia finally makes an exit from Prince of Wales. Yes I like 42nd St. great Broadway stuff in the old tradition, lots of singing and dancing etc. I really hope we have seen the last of compilation shows about third rate pop groups.

robUK Profile Photo
robUK
#14re: A Chorus Line
Posted: 7/1/07 at 1:54pm

42nd is St great show but alas cannot see it returning for 10 years or so because of the drivel currently hogging up theatres and the waiting list for god forsaken shows to come in. Seems as you say people just want to make a quick killing and fill their walletts without any consideration to the quality of show content.You have to blame the theatre owners for allowing at least 6-8 shows in town which are utter tripe!When there is such an amazing amount of decent back catalogue. The National it appears have stopped doing musicals which is a pity --now they really know how to stage a show they used to do one annually and were all first class.
Have you seen Drowsy Chaperone? Is it me, cos I just don't get it at all.What indeed is all the fuss about??

robUK Profile Photo
robUK
#17re: A Chorus Line
Posted: 7/2/07 at 6:22am

your right- after the six month run of the American cast and six moinths after the London cast houses became very thin as you say less than half full, mind you is a massive theatre to fill. I went to the opening night of the Americans and the first night and very last night of the show itself and it was packed to the rafters even the aisles were packed. Prob with people like myself who were ardent supporters of the show.
It is coming here I know that to be fact but as previousley stated the right theatre has to be found. Somehow I think it just might do better this time around mainly because way back then there was an awful lot of trouble finding the right cast, the show was nearly cancelled by Mr Bennett at the last minute but thankfully it went ahead.

robUK Profile Photo
robUK
#19re: A Chorus Line
Posted: 7/2/07 at 7:02am

I remember it all too well special miss Langton who was very naughty doin 'Nothin'. Indeed the audience did stand and roar for a very long time I was absolutely numb afterwards. I don't think they intend to sell it like you say the Producer is a very serious guy charged preserving it, is true to the original. Having read the book 'What they did for love'(Highly reccomended) a very emotional read by the way, there was loads of trouble back stage, I thnk this cast is certainly more prepared than they were in the 70's.

robUK Profile Photo
robUK
#22re: A Chorus Line
Posted: 7/2/07 at 7:16am

I actually saw it at Drury Lane exactly 50 times, knew the Box Office manager so had no trouble getting a ticket, I also flew to Broadway to see it in 1980 also recently in April this year saw it 3 consequtive night ( flew over just to se it)This current cast is as before absolutely dedicated and terrific. also took in The Pirate Queen which the less said the better.

Videos