Easter Parade

hyperchet Profile Photo
hyperchet
#1Easter Parade
Posted: 1/6/07 at 3:30pm

Although it's mostly pure fluff, it's one of my favorite films. Does anyone know if there are rights out there to have amateur productions of it? Has it ever been staged? Thanks.

"Needless to say the crew is well acquainted with my ass and that's ok because they are the coolest guys ever." - Idina Menzel

mattonstage Profile Photo
mattonstage
#2re: Easter Parade
Posted: 1/6/07 at 3:33pm

I don't know any real details at all, but I know Tommy Tune and Sandy Duncan did some sort of touring production of a stage version. I'm sure someone has more details.

I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!

TechEverlasting Profile Photo
TechEverlasting
#2I'm plum crazy for drums
Posted: 1/6/07 at 3:50pm

If you're not familiar with this movie, rent the DVD immediately and skip right to "Drum Crazy". This is a song where Fred Astaire takes a little boy around a drum shop and tap dances while playing one percussion instrument after another. (Like many tap dancers Astaire was also a drummer.) Not to be missed.

"I have got to have some professional music!" - Big Edie

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#3I'm plum crazy for drums
Posted: 1/6/07 at 4:10pm

I never knew he was a drummer. That is so interesting. Easter Parade is one of my favorite movie musicals and you can't really get any better than Fred Astaire and Judy garland!

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

colleen_lee
#4I'm plum crazy for drums
Posted: 1/6/07 at 4:13pm

The world premiere of the stage adaptation is being produced, as we speak, at the Chanhassen Dinner Theatre in Minnesota. It's being produced in cooperation with The Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization, so it's safe to assume that rights will be available eventually, though probably not for a few years yet.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

hyperchet Profile Photo
hyperchet
#5I'm plum crazy for drums
Posted: 1/6/07 at 4:21pm

Thanks! And yes, I love the drum scene. I watched it this morning, haha.

"Needless to say the crew is well acquainted with my ass and that's ok because they are the coolest guys ever." - Idina Menzel

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#6I'm plum crazy for drums
Posted: 1/6/07 at 7:48pm

Yes, the Tommy Tune version is dead and Rodgers and Hammerstein organization is putting a version out there for stock and amateur groups. No word on if it will try New York.

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#7I'm plum crazy for drums
Posted: 1/6/07 at 8:42pm

I love this movie and think it will fare well in a stage adaptation. I'd love to be able to go to up to Chanhassen Dinner Theatre to see this.

renthead92 Profile Photo
renthead92
#8I'm plum crazy for drums
Posted: 1/6/07 at 8:58pm

Knowing Chanhassen, this production will be amazing. If you follow this link, there's a preview video. It starts Feb. 9th.

http://chanhassentheatres.com/experience-cdt/news_announcements.asp

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#9I'm plum crazy for drums
Posted: 1/6/07 at 9:18pm

Thanks so much for posting the link renthead92. Very interesting.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#10EASTER PARADE
Posted: 1/7/07 at 3:12pm

The movie is glorious thanks to an irreplaceable cast. But... I don't think it is a strong source for stage adaptation. Oh, the Irving Berlin songs are wonderful - even if they just use the ones from the film - but most of them are part of on stage show routines and don't do much to further what litle plot there is or develop character. ("Better Luck Next Time" is a rare example of both.)

I would make the same comments about WHITE CHRISTMAS but that show is designed mainly for limited runs in the holiday season. Maybe they could do the same with EASTER PARADE and have it run for 6-8 weeks every spring.

The only film musical that survived and in many ways was enhanced by being tranferred to stage (so far) has been 42ND STREET but then it had a theatrical spirit to begin with. SINGIN'IN THE RAIN, 7 BRIDES FOR 7 BROTHERS, MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS were all terrible on stage and all flopped.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

hyperchet Profile Photo
hyperchet
#11EASTER PARADE
Posted: 1/7/07 at 9:01pm

True, but I just love this musical so much. I was digging through my closet, looking for some pants, and I found my old old old musical VHS collection. And then I discovered my gorgeous easter parade! haha...I want our community theatre to do it oh so badly.