pixeltracker

My Favorite Broadway: The Leading MEN (One Ever Planned?/Wishlist)

My Favorite Broadway: The Leading MEN (One Ever Planned?/Wishlist)

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#1My Favorite Broadway: The Leading MEN (One Ever Planned?/Wishlist)
Posted: 1/17/07 at 1:14pm

First off, was a MY FAVORITE BROADWAY: THE LEADING MEN concert ever planned? LOVE SONGS and LEADING LADIES are both wonderful and I watch the DVDs constantly.

Now then, 24 songs were performed at the LEADING LADIES concert. What would your wishlist of 24 songs be for LEADING MEN?

Here's mine:

Patrick Wilson, "Man" (THE FULL MONTY)
Joel Grey, "Willkommen" (CABARET)
Dick Van Dyke, "Put On A Happy Face" (BYE BYE BIRDIE)
Ben Vereen, "Magic To Do" (PIPPIN)
Harvey Fierstein, "If I Were A Rich Man" (FIDDLER ON THE ROOF)
John Travolta and the cast GREASE!, "Greased Lightning" (GREASE!)
George Hearn, "I Am What I Am" (LA CAGE AUX FOLLES)
James Naughton, "All I Care About" (CHICAGO)
Joel Grey, "Mister Cellophane" (CHICAGO)
Boyd Gaines and Raul Esparza, "Being Alive" (COMPANY)
Norm Lewis, "Make Them Hear You" (RAGTIME)
Adam Pascal and Anthony Rapp, "What You Own" (RENT)
Brian Stokes Mitchell, "The Impossible Dream" (MAN OF LA MANCHA)
Hugh Jackman, Intro to "Oklahoma" (OKLAHOMA!)/"Not The Boy Next Door" (THE BOY FROM OZ)
Howard McGillin, "Music of the Night" (THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA)
Michael Cerveris, "Not While I'm Around" (SWEENEY TODD)
Terrence Mann, "Stars" (LES MISERABLES)
Colm Wilkinson, "Bring Him Home" (LES MISERABLES)
Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick, "'Til Him" (THE PRODUCERS)
Antonio Banderes, "I Can't Make This Movie" (NINE! THE MUSICAL)
Norbet Leo Butz featuring Jason Robert Brown on piano, "Moving Too Fast" (THE LAST 5 YEARS)
Ewan McGregor, "Luck Be A Lady" (GUYS & DOLLS)
Ewan McGregor, Nathan Lane, and Walter Bobbie, "Fugue for Tinhorns" (GUYS & DOLLS)
Cast of Jersey Boys, "Who Loves You?" (JERSEY BOYS)

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
Updated On: 1/17/07 at 01:14 PM

timote316
#2re: My Favorite Broadway: The Leading MEN (One Ever Planned?/Wishlist)
Posted: 1/17/07 at 1:24pm

The one performance that sprung into my mind after reading the topic was "Impossible Dream" by Brian Stokes Mitchell... but you have that one covered.

Why would Michael Cerveris be performing "Not While I'm Around"?

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#2re: My Favorite Broadway: The Leading MEN (One Ever Planned?/Wishlist)
Posted: 1/17/07 at 1:26pm

Because I want him to. re: My Favorite Broadway: The Leading MEN (One Ever Planned?/Wishlist)

Plus, I think he would be interested in singing a wonderfully beautiful song he never got to sing in the show.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#3re: My Favorite Broadway: The Leading MEN (One Ever Planned?/Wishlist)
Posted: 1/17/07 at 1:28pm

A concert like this would make me very, very happy.

I'd rather Michael sing Epiphany. People look at me funny when I say how much I love that song, but the intensity of his performance was just so great.

Boyd Gaines and Raul Esparza, "Being Alive" (COMPANY)

Hypothetically, I'd split it. One of them could sing Marry Me a Little or Someone is Waiting. Raúl sharing a song from the show doesn't sit right with me. re: My Favorite Broadway: The Leading MEN (One Ever Planned?/Wishlist)

This is a little trite, but something I've never forgotten was Patrick Wilson (who you've already listed) singing Oh What a Beautiful Mornin' from Oklahoma! How I'd love to hear that again...

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 1/17/07 at 01:28 PM

landryjames2
#4re: My Favorite Broadway: The Leading MEN (One Ever Planned?/Wishlist)
Posted: 1/17/07 at 1:32pm

Cheyenne Jackson should definitely be represented as well.

MotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
#5re: My Favorite Broadway: The Leading MEN (One Ever Planned?/Wishlist)
Posted: 1/17/07 at 1:37pm

so many possibilities...so many possible drool worthy performances.... Norbert has to get in there somehow

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!

shesamarshmallow
#6re: My Favorite Broadway: The Leading MEN (One Ever Planned?/Wishlist)
Posted: 1/17/07 at 1:59pm

Much as I love Jason's voice, he can hardly be called a Leading Man on Broadway - that should be Norbert's song.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#7re: My Favorite Broadway: The Leading MEN (One Ever Planned?/Wishlist)
Posted: 1/17/07 at 2:03pm

WHOOPS! I totally meant to write Norbert Leo Butz with JRB on piano. I'll edit...

And I have to say that on that list, my favorite idea is this one:

Ewan McGregor, Nathan Lane, and Walter Bobbie, "Fugue for Tinhorns" (GUYS & DOLLS)

--Aristotle
Updated On: 1/17/07 at 02:03 PM

#8re: My Favorite Broadway: The Leading MEN (One Ever Planned?/Wishlist)
Posted: 1/17/07 at 3:31pm

No Will Chase?

And I'd vote for Norbert to sign "Shiksa Goddess" before "Moving Too Fast," but that's just personal preference...

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#9re: My Favorite Broadway: The Leading MEN (One Ever Planned?/Wishlist)
Posted: 1/17/07 at 3:55pm

What about John Raitt or Robert Alda? There were some fine performances by artists many moons ago!

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

FosseForever3 Profile Photo
FosseForever3
#10re: My Favorite Broadway: The Leading MEN (One Ever Planned?/Wishlist)
Posted: 1/17/07 at 4:08pm

Ooh ooh I want Ben Vereen to sing Glory and then go into the famous trio with Bebe and Ann on either side (I know it's a leading MEN concert...but pretty please??)

"Now she wants to know WHY, if I'm so fabulous, I would WANT to take care of her child.....I answer with as much filigree and insouciance as I can muster, trying to slightly cock my head like Snow White listening to the animals. She, in turn, is aiming for more of a Diane-Sawyer-pose, looking for answers which will confirm that I am not there to steal her husband, jewelry, friends, or child. In that order." The Nanny Diaries

AudreyTwoTwo Profile Photo
AudreyTwoTwo
#11re: My Favorite Broadway: The Leading MEN (One Ever Planned?/Wishlist)
Posted: 1/17/07 at 4:14pm

I was thinking Hugh Jackman should sing "Once Before I Go". Such an AWESOME song

The Best of Times is Now!

AudreyTwoTwo
#12re: My Favorite Broadway: The Leading MEN (One Ever Planned?/Wishlist)

I was thinking Hugh Jackman should sing "Once Before I Go". Such an AWESOME song

AudreyTwoTwo
#13re: My Favorite Broadway: The Leading MEN (One Ever Planned?/Wishlist)

sorry double post re: My Favorite Broadway: The Leading MEN (One Ever Planned?/Wishlist)

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#14re: My Favorite Broadway: The Leading MEN (One Ever Planned?/Wishlist)
Posted: 1/17/07 at 4:41pm

I don't know if he would count, but I'd love to hear Michael Arden doing "Role of a Lifetime"

cate_w
#15re: My Favorite Broadway: The Leading MEN (One Ever Planned?/Wishlist)
Posted: 1/17/07 at 6:30pm

Doug Sills should sing any of his songs from The Scarlet Pimpernel (or, really, any song ever written- he is SO amazingly talented!)

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#16re: My Favorite Broadway: The Leading MEN (One Ever Planned?/Wishlist)
Posted: 1/17/07 at 6:37pm

Cheyenne Jackson: Something's Comin {West Side Story}/ I Don't Want To {All Shook Up}

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#17re: My Favorite Broadway: The Leading MEN (One Ever Planned?/Wishlist)
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:28pm

From years past:

Richard Burton, HOW TO HANDLE A WOMAN (from "Camelot")
Alfred Drake, WERE THINE THAT SPECIAL FACE/SO IN LOVE (from "Kiss Me, Kate")
John Raitt, MY BOY BILL/SOLILOQUY (from "Carousel")
Len Cariou, PRETTY WOMEN (from "Sweeney Todd")

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#18re: My Favorite Broadway: The Leading MEN (One Ever Planned?/Wishlist)
Posted: 1/17/07 at 8:08pm

If The Leading Ladies can have a dance number in the Hot Honey Rag, I want Tyler Hanes and Michael Berresse to do a dance number.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#19re: My Favorite Broadway: The Leading MEN (One Ever Planned?/Wishlist)
Posted: 1/18/07 at 6:26pm

Perhaps the Cagelles can reunite and perform "La Cage Aux Folles" for the dance number.

--Aristotle

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#20re: My Favorite Broadway: The Leading MEN (One Ever Planned?/Wishlist)
Posted: 1/28/07 at 12:53pm

Again, was a MY FAVORITE BROADWAY: THE LEADING MEN concert ever planned?

--Aristotle

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#21re: My Favorite Broadway: The Leading MEN (One Ever Planned?/Wishlist)
Posted: 1/28/07 at 1:00pm

don't feel bad, Emcee.

Epiphany is my favorite song in Sweeney

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#22re: My Favorite Broadway: The Leading MEN (One Ever Planned?/Wishlist)
Posted: 1/28/07 at 6:58pm

Emcee - where did he sing OKLAHOMA? (Was he in the revival?). Saw him in LITTLE CHILDREN recently and he was great!

As for Epiphany, while he was fantastic in the show and everything he sang was brilliant, I still would rather him get the opportunity to sing one of the better songs he never had a chance to.

--Aristotle

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#23re: My Favorite Broadway: The Leading MEN (One Ever Planned?/Wishlist)
Posted: 1/28/07 at 7:07pm

How about Nathan Lane singing, THE GREATEST STAR OF ALL (from Sunset Boulevard)?

That would be entertaining.
Updated On: 1/28/07 at 07:07 PM

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#24re: My Favorite Broadway: The Leading MEN (One Ever Planned?/Wishlist)
Posted: 1/28/07 at 7:10pm

Yeah, Patrick was the original Curly in the revival. And he was wonderful.

A work of art is an invitation to love.