Today's Birthdays 1/29

do_re_milla Profile Photo
do_re_milla
#1Today's Birthdays 1/29
Posted: 1/28/07 at 10:14pm

Anton Chekhov 01/29/1860 - 7/15/1904 writer, source mat'l - The Seagull; Three Sisters; The Bear; The Cherry Orchard; The Wisteria Trees; The Good Doctor; A Day in Hollywood / A Night in the Ukraine (Priscilla Lopez, Peggy Hewett, Kate Draper, David Garrison); Wild Honey; Ivanov; Drowning Crow

W. C. Fields 01/29/1880 - 12/25/1946 performer - var. Ziegfeld Follies; Poppy; Geo. White's Scandals 1922; Earl Carroll's Vanities [1928] (Lillian Roth); Ballyhoo of 1930

Victor Mature 01/29/1913 - 8/4/1999 performer - orig Lady in the Dark (Macdonald Carey, Danny Kaye)

John Forsythe 01/29/1918 Husband of Julie Warren (1943 - August 15, 1994) her death, performer - Winged Victory; It takes 2; The Teahouse of the August Moon; Weekend (Kim Hunter); tv's & film's Bachelor Father (Sammee Tong); Dynasty; Charlie's Angels; The Trouble With Harry; It Happens Every Thursday (Loretta Young)

Paddy Chayefsky 1/29/1923 - 8/1/1981 American playwright, screenwriter, source mat'l - Marty; tv's & film's Marty, Network; The True Glory (uncredited, with Garson Kanin); As Young As You Feel, with Lamar Trotti; The Catered Affair [1 of my favs]; The Goddess; The Americanization of Emily; Paint Your Wagon (with Alan Jay Lerner); The Hospital; Altered States

Leslie Bricusse 01/29/1931 Writer, Lyricist, Composer - Stop the World - I Want to Get Off; The Roar of the Greasepaint - The Smell of the Crowd; Pickwick (Elizabeth Parrish, Charlotte Rae, John Call); Victor / Victoria; Jekyll & Hyde (Bob Cuccioli, Linda Eder, Christiane Noll, Brad Oscar, Emily Skinner)

Tom Selleck 01/29/1945 performer - A Thousand Clowns; tv's & film's Magnum PI; Myra Breckinridge; The Young and the Restless; The Sacketts; Three Men and a Baby 1 & 2

Ann Jillian 01/29/1950 performer - Sugar Babies; tv's & film's Gypsy; Mae West; Hazel; Jennifer Slept Here; 1962 Babes In Toyland (Ray Bolger, Annette Funicello, Tommy Sands, Ed Wyn, Tommy Kirk)

Terry Kinney 01/29/1954 performer, husband of Kathryn Erbe, Elizabeth Perkins (divorced), Founding member of Steppenwolf Theatre Company - The Grapes of Wrath; Buried Child [wonderful] (James Gammon); One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Charlotte Maier 01/29/1956 performer - 1993 Abe Lincoln in Illinois; 1994 Picnic; 1996 A Delicate Balance (Mary Beth Hurt, Rosemary Harris, George, Grizzard, Elaine Stritch); 2002 Dinner at Eight; Life (x) 3; Brooklyn Boy; A Naked Girl on the Appian Way; Lousing Louie; 2007 Inherit the Wind

Michael Wincott 01/29/1959 performer - Serious Money (Alec Baldwin, Greg Jbara, Kate Nelligan); The Secret Rapture (Kate Nelligan, Steve Vinovich, Blair Brown)

SHOWS THAT OPENED ON THIS DATE:

1947 All My Sons, Arthur Miller's drama depicting post-war America and the end result of one father's choice, unfolds at the Coronet Theatre in New York. Arthur Kennedy and Ed Begley are featured as son and father. The play will run for 41 weeks, Miller's first Broadway hit.

1957 What happened that afternoon in The Potting Shed? Graham Greene's drama at the Bijou Theatre in New York explores the power of faith. Sybil Thorndike and Robert Fleming lead the cast.

1966 Opening night of the musical SWEET CHARITY, providing another hit for director Bob Fosse, star Gwen Verdon, composer Cy Coleman, lyricist Dorothy Fields and librettist Neil Simon. The show will run 608 performances. The date is notable for another reason: it marks the reopening of the venerable Palace Theatre in Times Square after a refurbishment. Once the pinnacle of vaudeville and a fading concert venue, it henceforth serves as a regular Broadway theatre.

1998 Disappointment reigns on Broadway with the opening of Paul Simon's eagerly expected first musical, Capeman, about a real-life murderer who seeks salvation and forgiveness. The music is found to be fascinating, but the book by Nobel laureate Derek Walcott is found to be static, undramatic and unconvincing. Also, family members of the murder victims picket opening night. The musical will run 68 performances at the Marquis Theatre. A cast album is promised, but never materializes.

2002 Bea Arthur's solo show, Bea Arthur on Broadway — Just Between Friends begins performances at the Booth Theatre. The co-star of Mame and The Threepenny Opera, not to mention TV's "Maude," goes on to earn a Tony nomination for her show.

ON THIS DAY IN:

1820 Britain's King George III died insane at Windsor Castle, ending a reign that saw both the American and French revolutions.

1958 Actors Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward were married.

(sources: IBDB, IMDB, NYT's ON THIS DAY, 440.com’s Those Were The Days, Playbill.com)

Milla

do_re_milla
#2re: Today's Birthdays 1/29
Posted: 1/29/07 at 10:12am

bump

do_re_milla
#2re: Today's Birthdays 1/29
Posted: 1/29/07 at 4:03pm

bumpety bump

dramaqueen2 Profile Photo
dramaqueen2
#3re: Today's Birthdays 1/29
Posted: 1/29/07 at 4:41pm

a lot of big things happened today! thanks milla! =)

hear my song; it was made for the time when you don't know where to go, listen to the song that i sing, you'll be fine..

do_re_milla
#4re: Today's Birthdays 1/29
Posted: 1/29/07 at 4:59pm

Thanks dq2. Do I remember hearing that ALL MY SONS was going to be revived? Did I miss it?

Milla

broadwaybuff
#5re: Today's Birthdays 1/29
Posted: 1/29/07 at 5:17pm

It's also my birthday today :) ...soon I'll be on Broadway! Haha

Videos