pixeltracker

Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)

Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)

broadwayguy2
#1Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 5:08am

Okay, I will save the detailed commentary for a future follow up visit to the Palace, but I did want to post a few thoughts about the show....

First off, we all know that the Palace is a very VERY large house.. from the orcheatra section at least, it seems that the show manages to fill the space, and the seats as well. Admittedly, I was in the orchestra, so I couldn't gauge seating in the upper levels, but I noticed VERY few open seats in the house. The Palace house house staff continues to be, well, the most inept on Broadway. Every family has the crazy relative that they hide in the attic. For the Nederlanders, the Palace staff is that relative and that theatre is their attic. Is it REALLY polite for a nose breathing usher with Chutney hair to seat a patron in a wheelchair as though they are air traffic control guiding a plane into a JFK terminal? I think not. Must every usher continually check my ticket repeatedly for no reason other than to look busy and act like an animal displaying dominance? No.

An observation of this show's current and likely expanding fanbase:
Legally Blonde, for better or worse, has cast several people that have a cult following simply because they were involved any number of "X" shows. These 'fans' tend to make hell for the rest of theatre goers wanting to find an affordable option because they not only feel ownership of the show and it's performers, but they feel an entitlement as well that makes it difficult for others to get said affordable seats. BLONDE has elected a first come, first serve student rush policy with strict ID enforcemnt (which will certainly put a damper on a few people with get rich quick schemes. Take that for what you will). This fanbase though, doesn't view it as a cheap way to see the show for all. They view it as a cheap way for THEM to see it and get an 'in' with the company. They pride themselves on waiting upwards of 3 hours (or two days for a closing) to be first in line for tickets, saving extra spots for friends to get extra seats by showing up at the last minute, depriving those outside the group, who waited as well, of their tickets (which I have seen them do). They will wait this wait even when the need is not there. They wear the wait as a badge of honor, believing that the cast will somehow find them more 'dedicated' and will let them into their inner circle because of it. Their free time, obsession, and access to daddy's bank account or selling e-bay items fuels a quest for them. Once word of these people waiting several hours for those seats spreads, those people outside the group who wish to get seats must show up even earlier to try and secure a spot and a seat, sometimes having to battle for them. This snowballs out of control and pretty soon is just a mess. Blonde would be better suited by fair-drawn lottery.

Onto the show....

Regardless of what critics may or may not give to the show, what you have is a good ole fashioned crowd pleaser and deserves a run. It isn't the next Hairspray, though it does belong in that vein, but it certainly gives us something well beyond The Wedding Singer.

As far as the score goes, it was pitch perfect upbeat pop wholely appropriate to the material. Wether pop on Broadway is your cup of tea aside, you must admit that appropriateness IS a benchmark of a good score. I left the theatre with several songs runing though my head.. a few are still there. The one true clunker (and doesn't every HAIRSPRAY have its CRABS?) is Blood in the Water, a durge of an intro to Callahan that would best be totally rewritten, though even cutting the song into a shorter number, followed by dialogue then a brief reprise would aid the scene INCREDIBLY.

David Rockwell, Gregg Barnes, and Kenneth Posner/Paul Miller once again prove why they are some of the best working in their fields. Rockwell's set is wonderful, eyecatching and fun that manages to be simple, suprising, and make great use of the Palace's stage. The full two story interior of the Delta Nu House was a favorite of mine (and the Batman fire pole effect was my big wow moment). You have to hand it to Rockwell, he has a very distinct, very architectural, very theatrical style that is just wonderful. Gregg Barnes is just a god.... his costumes are always devine. Posner and Miller manage to paint some wonderful images with their lights.

Jerry Mitchell is a great choreographer and a damn good director. You wouldn't know that this is his first outing. Thankfully, he brings his choreographer's eye to all that he does and aides the show wonderfully.

Mitchell has assembled a top notch cast here.

Blonde flies or falls based on its Elle. Here, that is very debateable. Laura Bell Bundy is great in the role. She is spot on all night.. her voice is in great shape, she has the character down, she dances it beautifully with what she has. However, Bundy lacks that great star spark. While that is missed in ANY show, This show IS Elle, and what's more, Blonde's supporting cast has enough star spark and fire to take out Yellowstone. On top of overcoming the Witherspoon factor, she has to fight the mountain of moxie around her.

Christian Borle and Richard Blake once again prove themselves and it was nice to see Borle getting a star bow again. Not much you can say about them.. Michael Rupert is fine as Callahan. To be honest, the men register of course, but this show is ALL about the women....

Annaleigh Ashford steals the spotlight every time she steps forward. For me, she registered more of an impression than Bundy, so I look forward to seeing Ashford on as Elle eventually.

Orfeh, as always, has dynamite pipes and the girl can sell anything you give her. Those pipes and her comedic skills are great.. and on show here. She walks away with her scenes.

Leslie Kritzer, however, walks away with the whole show... and quite effortlessly. Her following has grown steadily since Godspell and she recieved great acclaim for her Joe's Pub gig. Perhaps that and Blonde will aide this girl is getting something where she will be front and center.

Kate Shindle is fine as Vivvienne, but really comes alive when she finally gets to let loose with the Legally Blonde remix. Her tall dark frame is the perfect offset and foil to the petite, blonde Bundy. However, Shindle looks too put together here. You buy her as lawyer, not law student. Natalie Joy Johnson is very funny in the underwritten and broad role of Enid, though they milk all the lesbian jokes you possible can.. and I LOVED it. Dequina Moore is the third of the trio of Elle's Delta Nu pals.

Stand outs in the very strong ensemble were most definately Amber Efe, Becky Gulsvig, Michelle Kittrell, Andy Karl, Matthew Risch, and Nick Kenkel.

Kudos to Bill Berloni for first rate animal work.

The one are I would truly take Jerry Mitchell to task is the understudy breakdown. Right now, of course, it lists only the principals and none of the featured roles. You can only image how I long to see swings Tracy Jai Edwards tear into the Deltu Nu Greak chorus trio and Lindsay Nicole Chambers take a swipe at Enid! Currently, Annaleigh Ashford and Beckly Gulsvig are the two Elle covers, and while I adore both, it would be nice to see Tracy Jai Edwards as a third cover. Based on Bundy's star turn at the stage door, expect diva call-outs as soon as the coast is clear of critics and Tony voters! It is also truly a shame that Leslie Kritzer is not a Paulette cover as that role has her name ALL over it.

This show will mostly likely come in with a BEST NEW MUSICAL nod. There is no way they will pass up Rockwell's sets and Barnes' costumes for nods as well.

Updated On: 4/14/07 at 05:08 AM

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#2re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 9:48am

glad you liked the show

great review

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 10:18am

Leslie Kritzer, however, walks away with the whole show... and quite effortlessly. Her following has grown steadily since Godspell and she recieved great acclaim for her Joe's Pub gig. Perhaps that and Blonde will aide this girl is getting something where she will be front and center.

Amen, sista.

While your take on the show is a hell of a lot more enthusiastic than mine, you wrote a very nice review. I disagree that this show will likely get a Best Musical nod. I saw LOVEMUSIK on Thursday night, and while it still needs work (it was only the first preview), I think it may very well turn into a critic's darling and snag the fourth Best Musical nod. It's certainly more the type of show that is up the Nominating Committee's alley than LEGALLY BLONDE.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 4/14/07 at 10:18 AM

jg4892
#3re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 10:20am

Who were the other understudies? For Warner, Emmet, Paulette, Vivienne, etc.

ruprecht Profile Photo
ruprecht
#4re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 10:22am

LoveMusick is such a lock, it doesn't even need a barrage of discussion, as is Donna Murphy. They're pretty much going to sweep the nominations. As for Broadwayguy2's review, nice job but I also don't feel as hyped on the show as you did. I'll be seeing it again on Tues and will finally post my review.

Yankeefan007
#5re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 10:23am

Ashford and Gulsvig cover Elle.
Karl and Weisberg cover Emmett.
Karl and Pariseau cover Calahan.
Efe and Gilliland cover Paulette.
Gillman and Risch cover Warner.
Edwards and GIlliland cover Vivienne.
Curry and Kittrell cover Brooke.

jg4892
#6re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 10:27am

Hmm, I think a black Paulette would be interesting to see.

Wanna Be A Foster
#7re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 10:37am

Hmm, I think a black Paulette would be interesting to see.

What would be interesting to see? The fact that the human being playing Paulette would have darker skin than Orfeh?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
Updated On: 4/14/07 at 10:37 AM

jg4892
#8re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 10:42am

Um, I don't really think my comment can be construed as racist wanna be a foster. Obviously the role will be played differently with a black woman in the part. How could it not be, at least in the audience's eyes? DId I say it would be played worse? Since when does interesting have a negative connotation?

ruprecht Profile Photo
ruprecht
#9re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 10:52am

Before this gets really ugly, let's change the tone and let me say Orfeh's known for never missing a show, I mean I think they get vacations but I'm sure it's no fun being her understudy. I'm personally not of the "understudy as demi-gods" mind set anyway and you all know how much the obsession with it on BWW annoys me but with this cast, no matter how many times I've already seen the show, I will MAKE SURE I go see Annaleigh Ashford as Elle.

MungoGypsy8232
#10re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 10:52am

broadwayguy2, I was surprised too that Leslie wasn't an understudy for Paulette. She has so much talent and hopefully Blonde will open up some new options for her!

HumATune Profile Photo
HumATune
#11re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 11:02am

Okay Foster. As a black woman I'll will give you a serious answer.

I also think it would be interesting to see a black Paulette and here's why:

Paulette is a character obsessed with Ireland, dreams of marrying someone Irish, and going to Ireland. Ireland is not known for being a common interest about black women (though my mom is dating a guy who’s of Irish decent hee!). Yes we’re all different but let’s face it, it’s not a common thing among black women. So in some ways it would make Paulette an outcast, too, and this would be another way she could relate to Elle.

Believe me, being a musical theatre fan and being black has made a lot of black people look at me sideways. It’s not just “the norm” in African-American culture. It’s too bad that there has to be a “norm” but that’s how it is. So yeah I think if Amber can play up the “outcast” aspect it will work.

P.S. Yeah Leslie would have been a great Paulette cover. As for Enid, I vote for Kate Wetherhead as a cover. Updated On: 4/14/07 at 11:02 AM

Wanna Be A Foster
#12re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 11:51am

jg4892, I never said that you're comment was racist. You used that word. I just found what you said to be a completely vague blanket statement.

HumATune, thanks for the insight. That cleared things up for me.

-Kad

Updated On: 4/14/07 at 11:51 AM

jg4892
#13re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 11:54am

Well foster, you should re read your post. It's pretty obvious that it was directed to me as a racist comment, by throwing in "human being",

Wanna Be A Foster
#14re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 12:00pm

I said human being because of the way you stated that you thought "a black Paulette" would be interesting to see. That is what I took issue with.

If you were to say, 'I think it would be interesting to see DeQuina Moore as Paulette,' that would be one thing -- but the way you stated it was as though were talking about "a black" pair of shoes.

-Kad

Updated On: 4/14/07 at 12:00 PM

jg4892
#15re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 12:01pm

I was not thinking about Amber Efe is particular, but rather a black actress in general playing the role, which is why I said a black paulette.

Wanna Be A Foster
#16re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 12:10pm

Understood. Thanks for clarifying.

-Kad

jg4892
Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#18re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 12:26pm

Actually, Foster never breathed the word racist...you were the first to come out with it jg4892.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

jg4892
#19re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 12:27pm

We already covered this princeton.

broadwayguy2
#20re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 12:47pm

The show is what it is and makes no pretention about it - big, campy musical comedy. Yes, it has a message, but thankfully it is nicely tucked in and gets the message home without beating you over the head.

A major factor in Awards season with the 'big' and less artistic awards IS marketability. LoveMusik, which I have not seen, DOES seem to be a small niche show. Blonde, though, will play well on the road and every road presenter wants to say that they have the newest Tony Winner. The Tonys are political, not artistic along many lines. Those politics can work against the show or very much in its favor.

(random - the pop culture refenrences slaying everything from Sixth Sense to Tivi and The Apprentice were great).

Amber Efe was a real highlight as the Sassy Judge and as a former Laker Girl at Hair Affair. It would great to see her as Paulette, though as has been sain, Orfeh has a great track record. I will say that some chocolate with the Lucky Charms would be fun! re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)

As my original post said, what it seems you will have to worry about is catching Bundy. Two days into week two of the New York run and Ms. Bundy, who often annoys me with her "I played Glinda" routine (Hun, you were Chenoweth's stand-by.. not a replacement. MUST You try to hedge and play sementics and act like you owned the role), is already pulling every divas favorite card - "You can take pitures OF Ms. Bundy but she will not pose with anyone"

jg4892
#21re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 12:51pm

Who's the first understudy for Elle? I'd love to see Annaleigh but I'm sure Becky will be great too.

Wanna Be A Foster
#21re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 12:51pm

broadwayguy2, the Nominating Committee could care less about tourability. They are 25 New York theatre snobs. The VOTERS care about tourability. If the Nominating Committee does not nominate LEGALLY BLONDE for Best Musical, the voters can't select it.

-Kad

Updated On: 4/14/07 at 12:51 PM

broadwayguy2
#23re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 12:53pm

I'm not sure who first cover is. I know a while back, they were batting around the idea of Gulsvig being the stand-by, so take that for what youw ill.

Foster, the Tony Nominators couldn't care less? You'd be suprised......

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#24re: Legally Blonde preview review *may contain spoilers* (04.11.07)
Posted: 4/14/07 at 12:56pm

^They didn't nominate Aida, and that would've toured well.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Videos