Sugar Babies?

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#25re: Sugar Babies?
Posted: 4/24/07 at 3:22pm

I reviewed the original Rooney/Miller SF pre-Broadway production for KALX-Berkeley (college radio). I remember little about it except having a great time. There was a Sally Rand fan dance at the time - which I don't think made it to Broadway. While in SF, I think it was almost a different show every night, as they kept putting in and taking out bits.

I do remember Rooney's opening number about it being time for a burlesque show. He was a dynamo. As for Ann Miller, the juxtaposition of those legs which seemed longer than Rooney's body - and his bad boy leer - and her unabashed sexiness - just a real match.

Lastly, I don't know if Geoff Hoyle can sing, but he could do the vaudeville bits (so could Bill Irwin for that matter) and actually Rooney couldn't "sing".
Updated On: 4/24/07 at 03:22 PM

BigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
#26Sugar Babies
Posted: 12/7/07 at 2:22pm

Listened to the original cast recording last night for the first time. I was trying to wrap my head around what this show was about.. its sytle...etc..

After reading these posts I'm sorry I missed it. Sounds like it would have been a real hoot.

Would an audience today buy the vaudeville/burlesque schtick?

Putting changing attitudes about sexism and such aside, do you think today's audience would get into old jokes and leggy girls... wait never mind.. I just remembered Mel Brooks.

What great ones do the less will prattle of

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#27Sugar Babies
Posted: 12/7/07 at 2:25pm

"Would an audience today buy the vaudeville/burlesque schtick?"

Absolutely. It's all raunchy, innuendo humor. They'll laugh 'til they pee.

Some of them literally.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

BigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
#28Sugar Babies
Posted: 12/7/07 at 2:38pm

Damn I wish I'd seen it!

What great ones do the less will prattle of

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#29Sugar Babies
Posted: 12/7/07 at 2:54pm

I've done my share of shows over the years, and it was a laugh in one of the sketches for "Sugar Babies" that was the longest I've ever been a part of.

We held for something like 30 seconds every night. The stage manager would time us. (which is really friggin' LONG if you think about it in "real time")

It was incredible! And the longer we stood there, the more the laugh grew.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#30Sugar Babies
Posted: 12/9/07 at 1:06pm

The Production played Londons West End at the savoy for a short season in the mid 80s and was breath of fresh air with its brilliant routines and topped by the class acts of Rooney anad Miller. She was stunning withthe most amazing body even in her late 70s and he was just the cheaky chappie everyone knows him for. A great fun show. Micky Rooney is currently in the UK in a Christmas production of the pantomime 'Cinderella'

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

James Carroll Profile Photo
James Carroll
#31Sugar Babies
Posted: 6/27/20 at 11:09pm

Rhonda Burchmore, who played the Soubrette in the Australian and West End production, has released an episode of her YouTube series discussing Sugar Babies and working with Ann Miller and Mickey Rooney. Fabulous stories! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3KAV--U_2I

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#32Sugar Babies
Posted: 6/28/20 at 12:30am

THE FABULOUS PALM SPRINGS FOLLIES did something similar here in the desert. It ran for nearly 30 years and only closed about 5 years ago. The performers were all over 55, but came from Broadway and TV-variety backgrounds (and some had even started in late-vaudeville), so I can tell you how that "politically incorrect humor" plays in the 21st century.

It plays very well with the Greatest Generation, who would come back to see the P.S. Follies multiple times per year. It plays just "okay" with Baby Boomers, who tended to come once and no more, even though the songs and comedy changed each year. With anybody younger, it was just an object of curiosity: "let's see what makes Grandma crack up".

The PS Follies finally closed only because its audience was dying off.