Best Bwy show for High School?

ExpressThis
#1Best Bwy show for High School?
Posted: 5/17/07 at 1:43pm

Which show would you recommend for a high school senior drama group to go see?? I hear a lot of buzz about Spring Awakening, but I'm not sure...tell me your thoughts! Thanks

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#2re: Best Bwy show for High School?
Posted: 5/17/07 at 1:59pm

Spring Awakening would be good, although I think some schools (particularly parochials) might object to the subject matter. I think Hairspray would be an excellent choice.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#2re: Best Bwy show for High School?
Posted: 5/17/07 at 2:24pm

Go see Curtains, a comedy by a classic song writing team. Great all around.

Don't go see Wicked or Hairspray, challenge them a little to see something they aren't probably already experts on. (even though I love both of those shows, introduce them to new things)

or go see Grey Gardens, I can't imagine anything inappropriate in it, and since Christine will win the Tony (says I) and Grey Gardens will win for best musical (hopes I) it will be exciting for them.

Julian2
#3re: Best Bwy show for High School?
Posted: 5/17/07 at 2:30pm

Grey Gardens, much safer (parent approval wise) then Spring Awakening, best written show of the season (IMO), including stellar preformances that are likely to go down in history books and will most like win Tonys, great supporting cast, wonderful score, and two different tones in each act in case some don't like the moodier stuff or vice-versa. If you want to show your students great musical theatre, take them to this.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!
Updated On: 5/17/07 at 02:30 PM

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#4re: Best Bwy show for High School?
Posted: 5/17/07 at 2:31pm

I think high school students would find enjoyment from seeing the new Kander-Ebb-Holmes musical comedy, CURTAINS.

Action2 Profile Photo
Action2
#5re: Best Bwy show for High School?
Posted: 5/17/07 at 2:55pm

Hairspray! It has all the things that make good theatre AND good entertainment. If this is a drama group, they can appreicate the technical aspects of the show (costumes, hair/makeup, scenic elements, interesting direction) and the performance elements (acting, singing, dancing). More importantly, they will have a good time. Even if other shows will challenge them, you want them to have a FUN experience (especially if this trip to NYC is something special).

And, regardless if the summer movie is good or great, it will give them something to talk about with their families and peers (well, when I saw it on Broadway...).

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#6re: Best Bwy show for High School?
Posted: 5/17/07 at 3:01pm

Journey's End and let them experience REAL ACTING and REAL DIRECTING.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

TechEverlasting Profile Photo
TechEverlasting
#7re: Best Bwy show for High School?
Posted: 5/17/07 at 3:10pm

I'd suggest taking them to Grey Gardens, but first having them watch the documentary. After they see the documentary, ask them to imagine how they would turn it into a musical.

"I have got to have some professional music!" - Big Edie

gymdudeva
#8re: Best Bwy show for High School?
Posted: 5/17/07 at 3:49pm

A Chorus Line and Hairspray

i.heart.link Profile Photo
i.heart.link
#9re: Best Bwy show for High School?
Posted: 5/17/07 at 3:51pm

Hairspray and Drowsy Chaperone!

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#10re: Best Bwy show for High School?
Posted: 5/17/07 at 4:13pm

A Chorus Line, especially if they've never seen it done with the original staging. Curtains if they want an old-fashioned style Broadway musical, Grey Gardens if they want something more on the "artsy" side (and to see amazing performances by Ebersole and Wilson). The students would probably enjoy SA, but considering the subject matter and sexual situations, parental consent should be mandatory.

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#11re: Best Bwy show for High School?
Posted: 5/17/07 at 4:16pm

I think you should expose them to something less commercialized and take them to Grey Gardens to see a once-in-a-lifetime performance from Christine Ebersole and Mary Louise Wilson. The music is glorious and the performances amazing. It's something they'll be talking about years from now.
That's my two cents. (I taught 6th grade advanced children and had one little girl who I think ended up seeing it. She was a rarity, a real theater person. But, I'm thinking the high school level kids would get something out of it, too.)

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#12re: Best Bwy show for High School?
Posted: 5/17/07 at 4:30pm

i dont know if they would enjoy GG too much, seeing as they are high schooloers. a GREAT show to go see would be Hairspray! it is SO much fun, probably the most fun you can have at the theater. i promise, they'll enjoy it!

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

scooter38432 Profile Photo
scooter38432
#13re: Best Bwy show for High School?
Posted: 5/17/07 at 4:35pm

I agree with HAIRSPRAY. Plus, it's got a diversity message, which is always welcomed.

A CHORUS LINE is also an excellent choice for young theater-goers. It's almost a rite of passage. If they're going to see A CHORUS LINE anywhere, at least let it be the Broadway production and not a mediocre production elsewhere.

I adore GREY GARDENS, but unless they all see the documentary first, I think it would go right over their heads.

Itty Bitty Geisha? Toyland? Gypsy Pasadoble? Just a few popular favorites...

Julian2
#14re: Best Bwy show for High School?
Posted: 5/17/07 at 4:40pm

High Schoolers can get Grey Gardens, its not in Russian, and they are, after all, a "senior drama group".

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#15re: Best Bwy show for High School?
Posted: 5/17/07 at 4:40pm

I didn't see the documentary before I saw the show. I went in a blank slate. Read the insert in the playbill and took it from there. (Not saying you couldn't show documentary-not a prerequisite, though.) It's special and I think they might just like it. Plus, they are, theoretically anyway, young adults. (There were college freshmen at the show when I was there-not much older-and they enjoyed it.)
I just think it'd be good to expose them to something unusual and unique. (And to two outstanding performances.)

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

scooter38432 Profile Photo
scooter38432
#16re: Best Bwy show for High School?
Posted: 5/17/07 at 4:56pm

I'm all for exposing them to something unusual and unique, and of course, the performances are outstanding.

I love GREY GARDENS.

I know I wish I had seen the documentary first. In fact, now that I have, and now that I know the music more, I'll be seeing the show again on Saturday afternoon.

I know that as a high school student on a field trip, I would rather see something that I could get excited about. As wonderful as GG is, your "average" 16 or 17 year old would probably enjoy something else. (I was obssessed with SWEENEY TODD and EVITA in high school, but I was kind of a rarity, even within my drama group.)

If the kids do have an opportunity to learn about the Beales and the Kennedys prior to seeing the show, I say go for it.

You have to admit, the second act is pretty whacked (in a wonderful way), and if the kids had no knowledge of the situation, I think they'd be like "WTF?"

Itty Bitty Geisha? Toyland? Gypsy Pasadoble? Just a few popular favorites...

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#17re: Best Bwy show for High School?
Posted: 5/17/07 at 5:01pm

I agree with scooter. If you take them to GG, have them see the doc. first. I will give them a little more backround on the Beales and who they were before they see the show.

I'd say go for it and take them. You'd be exposing them to absolutley wonderful performances, and a great show.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

jess20882 Profile Photo
jess20882
#18re: Best Bwy show for High School?
Posted: 5/17/07 at 5:14pm

My vote is for either HAIRSPRAY, A CHORUS LINE, or even possibly THE LION KING (if only for the costumes and visual effects).

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#19re: Best Bwy show for High School?
Posted: 5/17/07 at 5:25pm

i only watched 30 minutes of the doc., really didnt like it...

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

sweetdisaster Profile Photo
sweetdisaster
#20re: Best Bwy show for High School?
Posted: 5/17/07 at 5:33pm

I'd have to agree with most people here- stay away from the commercial or Disney shows. If it's a senior drama group, I'm sure they'd love A Chorus Line or even Hairspray. I feel like to a group of students, ACL is a classic show and entertaining.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#21re: Best Bwy show for High School?
Posted: 5/17/07 at 5:45pm

I'll go out on a limb and say 110 In The Shade. It's got a little something for everyone. And Audra is not to be missed.

GG is good too. And I'm in the "tried to watch the doc. but it did nothing for me" camp. If the kids in the group are anything like the teenagers I used to work with, if the documentary bores them, they might not want to have anything to do with the show.

Of course it does all depend on when you're coming and what's open.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#22re: Best Bwy show for High School?
Posted: 5/17/07 at 5:54pm

I would send all of my friends and people I like to GG, and to all those who have made your life miserable, you can send them directly to a fantastic new show at the Hilton re: Best Bwy show for High School?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

istillbelieve24601 Profile Photo
istillbelieve24601
#23re: Best Bwy show for High School?
Posted: 5/17/07 at 6:02pm

I wouldn't reccomend GG unless there are a lot of high schoolers who are extremely theatrical and have interests in persuing a lifetime in musical theatre. A lot of high schoolers with a lackluster interest in theatre could be turned off to musicals entirely by something artsy they won't get like GG. Many high schoolers involved in school drama departments perform because they're good at it, not because they have a love for the theatre.

ACL may be a good show to take high schoolers to. A lot of them probably have grown up with the cast recording, especially if they dance, but never got a chance to see the original Broadway production.

Cosette: Roses are red. Marius: Violets are blue. Eponine: You're so in love! Marius: And so not with you.

Videos