Good ideas for jukebox musicals

#2re: Good ideas for jukebox musicals
Posted: 7/12/07 at 9:18pm

I don't think her catalogue is big enough yet. Besides with her impending legal/copyright troubles, I doubt any producer would want to touch that.

I have said for years that The Smiths music had strong potential for a jukebox musical and then just last year one was announced that's in the works.

withoutlovewithoutU Profile Photo
withoutlovewithoutU
#2re: Good ideas for jukebox musicals
Posted: 7/12/07 at 9:28pm

I aways kinda wanted to see a fleetwood mac/Stevie Nicks musical, but part of me feels like it would end up being craptastic.

"If we don't live happily ever after at least we survive until the end of the week!" -Kermit the frog "I need the money... it costs a lot to look this cheap!" -Dolly P. "Oh please, Over at 'Gypsy' Patti LuPone hasn't even alienated her first daughter yet!" Mary Testa in "Xanadu" "...Like a drunk Chita Rivera!" Robin de Jesus in "In the Heights"

"B*tch, I don't know your life." -Xanadu After that if he still doesn't understand why you were uncomfortable and are now infuriated, kick him again but this time with Jazz Hands!!! -KillerTofu

daspazoo
#3re: Good ideas for jukebox musicals
Posted: 7/12/07 at 9:29pm

not a jukebox per se, but I've always thought there needed to be a Cy Coleman revue. Such fantastic, stylistically varied scores.

Opening number: Cy-a-mania! (Willamania, with slightly reworked lyrics)

...this bird is singing.

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#4re: Good ideas for jukebox musicals
Posted: 7/12/07 at 9:32pm

Johann Sebastian Bach

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#5re: Good ideas for jukebox musicals
Posted: 7/12/07 at 9:33pm

Sebastian Bach and Skid Row.

Jonwo
#6re: Good ideas for jukebox musicals
Posted: 7/12/07 at 10:01pm

I always thought that Duran Duran have a decent catalogue for a musical but I have always imagined it like Mamma Mia! type plot.

Jellylorum Profile Photo
Jellylorum
#7re: Good ideas for jukebox musicals
Posted: 7/12/07 at 11:00pm

Most of Pink Martini's songs aren't in English, but I think their style is good for musical theatre.

"It's a goddamn beautiful day, shut up!"

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#8re: Good ideas for jukebox musicals
Posted: 7/12/07 at 11:14pm

Bring back "OUR HOUSE"!!!!!

...the Madness musical

...and the best jukebox musical that ever was

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

BwayMania Profile Photo
BwayMania
#9re: Good ideas for jukebox musicals
Posted: 7/12/07 at 11:15pm

I, for some reason, always thought of one with the music of Huey Lewis & The News. I actually thought up a whole plot and was gonna write the show for fun. That never happened. LOL!

Funny Face Profile Photo
Funny Face
#10re: Good ideas for jukebox musicals
Posted: 7/12/07 at 11:17pm

Spice Girls!

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#11re: Good ideas for jukebox musicals
Posted: 7/12/07 at 11:29pm

None. I'm sick of them.

don logan Profile Photo
don logan
#12re: Good ideas for jukebox musicals
Posted: 7/13/07 at 12:40am

Metallica
weird al
spinal tap
borat
webern
ornette coleman
judas priest
handel

"Never before has an American president been so closely tied to a foreign power that harbors and supports our country's mortal enemies."

kyleorlando Profile Photo
kyleorlando
#13re: Good ideas for jukebox musicals
Posted: 7/13/07 at 12:55am

I always thought the Alan Parsons Project was very theatrical, especially with the Edgar Allen Poe and the Guadi inspired albums.

I can see that catalogue on stage sooner or later.

Current Avatar: Me.
Current Saying: What do you mean it isn't enough being pretty? Have you seen my headshots?!?

JudasIscariot Profile Photo
JudasIscariot
#14re: Good ideas for jukebox musicals
Posted: 7/13/07 at 1:14am

Ben Folds or Rufus Wainwright.

MungoGypsy8232
#15re: Good ideas for jukebox musicals
Posted: 7/13/07 at 2:14am

I think a Whitney Houston musical would be brilliant!

scott68 Profile Photo
scott68
#16re: Good ideas for jukebox musicals
Posted: 7/13/07 at 2:17am

I definitely second Rufus Wainwright. But he's got his opera that he's working on now, so I guess we'll have to be satisfied with that for now.

"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.

TapTapTapioca
#17re: Good ideas for jukebox musicals
Posted: 7/13/07 at 3:11am

Spice Girls!!!!

I shave me Xanadu every morning!

antonijan Profile Photo
antonijan
#18re: Good ideas for jukebox musicals
Posted: 7/13/07 at 3:37am

Mariah Carey and Madonna!

dramarama2 Profile Photo
dramarama2
#19re: Good ideas for jukebox musicals
Posted: 7/13/07 at 4:25am

The Beatles.

It's been done, but not on stage. Or at least I don't think so...

A little known fact is that in the original screenplay, Pan's Labyrinth was Pan's FLAByrinth. Hmmmmmmm...glad they changed it.

G_Schlozinski2
#20re: Good ideas for jukebox musicals
Posted: 7/13/07 at 4:45am

The Beatles never done as a jukebox musical? Are you kidding? Beatlemania is the ORIGINAL jukebox musical. It's even in wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatlemania_%28musical%29 Updated On: 7/13/07 at 04:45 AM

antonijan Profile Photo
antonijan
#21re: Good ideas for jukebox musicals
Posted: 7/13/07 at 5:03am

They should revive Beatlemania!

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#22re: Good ideas for jukebox musicals
Posted: 7/13/07 at 5:04am

Pink Floyd
Cher

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

bigred3535
#23re: Good ideas for jukebox musicals
Posted: 7/13/07 at 5:17am

I like the Ben Folds suggestion.

Also, has anyone ever heard of the Canadian (sometimes) a cappella band Moxy Fruvous? I've always thought their stuff would be great in a theatrical environment.

Last, maybe Colin Hay or the Decemberists?

2ndBalcony
#24re: Good ideas for jukebox musicals
Posted: 7/13/07 at 8:50am

The Rolling Stones

And there already is a Cy Coleman musical. I've forgotten the name but I saw it in Los Angeles a couple years ago. It was a multi-media review of Coleman's songs nobody ever heard of. I didn't like it much.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#25re: Good ideas for jukebox musicals
Posted: 7/13/07 at 9:05am

I generally abhor jukebox musicals, but if pressed for a suggestion, I would say the music of Styx would lend itself to a production. Their style has always been theatrical, and there are common themes across many of their songs.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson