Gypsy question

alxscrz2 Profile Photo
alxscrz2
#1Gypsy question
Posted: 8/1/07 at 3:06am

What does rose mean when she says the line 'I was born to soon and started to late' ?
Updated On: 8/1/07 at 03:06 AM

COOOOLkid
#2re: Gypsy question
Posted: 8/1/07 at 3:50am

I always thought she meant that she basically didn't have an aggressive stage mother like she is. Rose wanted to be star, too.

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#2re: Gypsy question
Posted: 8/1/07 at 5:09am

I believe she is saying she was basically born at the wrong time. She was born too soon, meaning the era when she was born didn't lead to vaudeville stardom and by the time she started pursuing it, she was either too old for it or already was married and had Louise so she had her daughters pursue stardom so she could live vicariously through them.
In a less literal sense the line could just mean that she just never had a chance at it.
Louise does tell her that maybe if she had had a mother like her she could have been a star so I don't know.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

bwayboy310
#3re: Gypsy question
Posted: 8/1/07 at 6:28am

Similar to what was said above, I believe she means that she was born to soon to be young enough and started to late, meaning she didn't grab the chance when she had it.

Videos