pixeltracker

A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?- Page 4

A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?

#75re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/15/07 at 6:22pm

OH MY GOSH Catherine O'Hara would be BEYOND a dream come true!!!

Tkt2Ride Profile Photo
Tkt2Ride
#76re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/15/07 at 6:38pm

I would love to see Catherine O'Hara in the limelight. She is a wonderful actress. I have seen enough of Streep and Pfeiffer. I mean I like them but their singing doesn't make me want to shout.

It would still be nice if there was more of a Broadway Cast if it was good. I will see Sweeney because of the acting but not the singing unfortunately. It will have everything else.

I too just want to see more done in a musical fashion. We have so much great technology too so things that couldn't be well represented before or in color for that matter can be done so now.

Many Broadway Actors have crossed over to Television or the Theater. Success depends on marketing and a superb performance. I always look to Fred Astaire, who was not a very attractive man but his talent was so phenomenal no really cared. Everyone who could dance wanted to work with him. There has to be more Actors out there on Broadway who can gain that much appeal. Especially in a Musical setting.

I fear that when Hollywood goes too far away from Broadway when it comes to Musicals, they lose the main reason people want to go and see it. They just have to keep their budget in line.

I really enjoy Rent and can live with Chicago. Transporting a Musical into the real world shouldn't be so difficult. If the score is good they make up what they have lost in Movie Theatre from DVD's and CD's. CD sales are something most commercial Movies don't always do as well with.

I can think of many musicals I saw on television that I really enjoyed so I feel it can happen. If they can't afford Movies why not Television?

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#77re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/15/07 at 9:03pm

Though I think both COMPANY and FOLLIES could work on film with some tinkering, INTO THE WOODS seems to lend itself most easily to a stage to screen adaptation out of the Sondheim catalogue.

Put a director like Tim Burton or Barry Sonnenfeld at the helm and it could be a thrilling project.

That being said, I see Patrick Dempsey as the closest thing to perfect for Bobby in a COMPANY film if he could sing the material.

Other casting options? Catherine O'Hara or Anjelica Huston as Joanne, Christina Applegate as Amy, and Amy Adams or Rachel McAdams as Marta.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 12/15/07 at 09:03 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#78re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/15/07 at 9:23pm

I may get crucified for saying this, but I kind of think Madonna would make a good Carlotta.

somethingwicked
#79re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/15/07 at 9:24pm

Phyllis, I don't think Madonna is too absurd of a suggestion.

Catherine Zeta-Jones could also be an interesting choice for the role.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Updated On: 12/15/07 at 09:24 PM

Gothampc
#80re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/15/07 at 9:38pm

"I may get crucified for saying this, but I kind of think Madonna would make a good Carlotta."

They really need someone who can sing.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#81re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/15/07 at 9:42pm

Shouldn't Carlotta be in her 50's/60's?

I know older Carlotta's have been in their 80's...

LadyRosecoe
#82re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/15/07 at 9:46pm

She should be mid-50s, I mean Yvonne was 48 when she was in it and that seems about accurate. I think a lot of productions either wanted an authentic old timer star to either re-capture the period or allow them a triumphant number for a big return. I find it more fitting if the actress is around the age of Sally and Phyllis and still has a ways to go, but for now she's still here and made it thus far.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#83re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/15/07 at 9:59pm

I know older Carlotta's have been in their 80's...

I do, too, but it makes it all the more puzzling when Ben tries to get her to sneak off with him.

The problem with the way Follies gets cast these days, as LadyR noted, is that they try to hard to still bring back stars of that era, but that only works to varying degrees of success. Too many productions cast some of these roles way too old.

And Goth, I suppose you're right, but I thought someone would have commented they'd like a Carlotta who could act. re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?

Somethingwicked, Zeta-Jones is probably still too young (even if you account for her real age).

Gothampc
#84re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/15/07 at 10:49pm

"And Goth, I suppose you're right, but I thought someone would have commented they'd like a Carlotta who could act."

Truthfully, I don't think Madonna would take the role. Carlotta is not a big enough role for TME (The Madonna Ego).

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#85re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 2:37am

I would just love to see a FOLLIES film even if most of the follies numbers are gone to keep most of the book songs.
My ideal cast:
Sally- Laura Linney, Meryl Streep, Julianne Moore, Rachel Griffiths.
Phyllis- Marissa Tomei, Mary-Louise Parker, Jodie Foster, Demi Moore, Vanessa Williams, Helena Bonham Carter.
Ben- George Clooney, Will Smith.
Buddy- Clive Owen, Ewan McGregor, Johnny Depp.
Carlotta- Jane Krakowski.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

#86re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 10:11am

Clearly the only way to make a Follies movie the audience could identify with and clamor to see is to make "the Muppet Follies!" Kermit as Ben, Fozzy as Buddy, Miss Piggy as Sally- it would be spectacular!

And dont' get me started with how perfect Cookie Monster would be as Bobby with Miss P stopping the film with her version of "The Piggies who Lunch!"

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#87re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 11:05am

I disagree, Joe.

An all Looney Tunes all-male cast would be ideal:

Ben - Bugs
Buddy - Porky Pig (just to hear him do "The God-Why-Don't-You-Love-Me Blues")
Sally - Daffy Duck ("Losing My Mind")
Phyllis - Sylvester the Cat ("Loothy wants to be Jethy...")
Carlotta - Elmer Fudd ("I'm Stiw Heaw")
Solange - Pepe Le Pew ("Ah, Paris!")
Roscoe - Foghorn Leghorn ("Beautiful Ah-say-Girls")
Stella - Yosemite Sam ("Lord, lord, lord, that woman is ME!")
Hattie - Tweety Bird ("I'm Just a Bwahdway Baby")

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

#88re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 11:08am

i thought madonna was in her 60s.

how do you think Vicki Clark & Donna Murphy would work on film?

(from a purely creative view, leaving asde any issue of "box office") Updated On: 12/16/07 at 11:08 AM

ray-andallthatjazz86
#89re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 12:34pm

That's a very good question, n69. I can see Murphy's Phyllis working on film, she is one of those performers that can go seamlessly from stage to film back to stage and back to film and provide very effective performances in both media. Just look at the NANNY DIARIES (a so-so films with some really nice performances) when she has that great moment with Laura Linney, she shows she does not need to approach film like theater. Plus, her Phyllis is very real and grounded, not stylized at all which would adapt well to film.
I've never seen Clark on film/TV so I can't talk much about her film acting but I think her Sally is so interesting to watch that possibly with the right director, she'd make a great movie Sally.
If only BO or star power weren't an issue...
I'd rather see Streep play Sally over Victoria Clark any day though.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#90re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 2:05pm

Maybe Cyndi Lauper as Carlotta?

ray-andallthatjazz86
#91re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 2:08pm

I love it!

#92re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 2:14pm

Best, if I were an eccentric Millionaire I would totally produce that! Tweety is especially inspired casting...

Gothampc
#93re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 2:23pm

"Maybe Cyndi Lauper as Carlotta?"

Too Shirley Temple. Lauper has always had a little girl's voice. Carlotta needs some power behind the voice.

somethingwicked
#94re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 2:26pm

What about Bette Midler as Carlotta?

Cast Diane Keaton as Sally and Goldie Hawn as Phyllis and it could be a FIRST WIVE'S CLUB reunion.

Updated On: 12/16/07 at 02:26 PM

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#95re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 2:29pm

Midler is too campy.

Camp is far from what FOLLIES needs to be.

Gothampc
#96re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 2:37pm

"What about Bette Midler as Carlotta?"

I think Midler would be better leading the "Who's That Woman?" number.

I think for the screen, Carlotta should still be a bit sexy, but she should have a world weary quality, sort of like she's partyed a bit too hard in her life. The singing voice has to be able to belt the ending of "Look who's here, I'm still here!!"

somethingwicked
#97re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 2:44pm

gothampc, what about Annette Bening?

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#98re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 2:58pm

Yes.

If FOLLIES is made, the three leading ladies need to be played by Annette Benning, Meryl Streep, and Bernadette Peters.

Gothampc
#99re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 3:18pm

"gothampc, what about Annette Bening?"

I think she's a bit porcelain. She'd be better as Phyllis. I'd like to see someone with a bit of rough edges.

Maybe Kathleen Turner?