pixeltracker

Most and/or longest uses of strobe lights in a single production

Most and/or longest uses of strobe lights in a single production

Josh Freilich
#1Most and/or longest uses of strobe lights in a single production
Posted: 1/24/08 at 2:20pm

I used to think that CATS or BEAUTY AND THE BEAST had strobe lights utilized for the longest amount of time, but now that I saw YF, I'd say that truly beats it. There's a part in "Puttin' on the Ritz" where the strobe catches the ensemble jumping in mid-air, and in the final chorus of "Life, Life" where the electricity surges, it only gets stronger until it gets to the final chord when it's the BRIGHTEST AND STRONGEST OF ALL!

Any other instances in which they've had really long strobe light moments (excluding "Gypsy")?

"How could she just suddenly, completely disappear into thin water?" - The Little Mermaid

SakeDad Profile Photo
SakeDad
#2re: Most and/or longest uses of strobe lights in a single production
Posted: 1/24/08 at 4:17pm

WE WILL ROCK YOU starts and finishes (or did in Vegas) with lots of strobbing.

"God, I hope it's not a REAL emergency...I only brought one bottle of Vodka!" That's my Diva Dog, Sake in the picture.

#2re: Most and/or longest uses of strobe lights in a single production
Posted: 1/24/08 at 4:21pm

Starlight Expess- in all its versions...

RyToast1
#3re: Most and/or longest uses of strobe lights in a single production
Posted: 1/24/08 at 4:23pm

The Patti LuPone production of Gypsy used a strobe for a good amount of time when the kids were aging.

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#4re: Most and/or longest uses of strobe lights in a single production
Posted: 1/24/08 at 4:25pm

I think young frank takes the cake...

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

Gothampc
#5re: Most and/or longest uses of strobe lights in a single production
Posted: 1/24/08 at 4:39pm

I don't remember if it was a strobe light, but during "Tommy" they used blinking lights all over the theater during Pinball Wizard.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

neddyfrank2
#6re: Most and/or longest uses of strobe lights in a single production
Posted: 1/24/08 at 5:08pm

I had a feeling Josh started this thread just by looking at the title.

BlueWindSadness
#7re: Most and/or longest uses of strobe lights in a single production
Posted: 1/24/08 at 6:21pm

i agree....young frankenstein, hands down....

i remember when i was watching it, i was thinking "am i the only one squinting here?" then after the show my friend said something about how bright it was....

seriously...amazing bright. haha....

"that's what my date said."

Jon
#8re: Most and/or longest uses of strobe lights in a single production
Posted: 1/24/08 at 7:03pm

EVERY production of Gypsy that recreats the original Robbinns staging uses a strobe when Baby June, Louise and the Newsboys are replaced by their older counterparts.

henryt
#9re: Most and/or longest uses of strobe lights in a single production
Posted: 1/24/08 at 7:11pm

Updated On: 3/7/08 at 07:11 PM

Robos89
#10re: Most and/or longest uses of strobe lights in a single production
Posted: 1/24/08 at 7:22pm

I thought in strobe light effect during "Puttin' On The Ritz" was awesome, I was in the front row during the performance and I didn't feel blinded by any of the strobes.

?

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#11re: Most and/or longest uses of strobe lights in a single production
Posted: 1/24/08 at 10:07pm

"I thought in strobe light effect during "Puttin' On The Ritz" was awesome, I was in the front row during the performance and I didn't feel blinded by any of the strobes."

I wasn't either - but by that time I was bored beyond belief. I'm glad I was comped, I would have felt stupid to have paid for this disaster.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#12re: Most and/or longest uses of strobe lights in a single production
Posted: 1/24/08 at 10:09pm

well not strobe lighting but Carrie used lazer lights all the way through the Destruction

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Josh Freilich
#13re: Most and/or longest uses of strobe lights in a single production
Posted: 1/25/08 at 3:28pm

WE WILL ROCK YOU starts and finishes (or did in Vegas) with lots of strobing.

I saw it in London, and it does there too. I think I remember strobe lights in "Starlight Express" but only during the song "AC/DC" because of the electricity. I really don't remember them at any other moment.

Are there any strobe effects in RAGTIME, because it sounds like there could have been at points. It could've been as Tateh is making the film after "Buffalo Nickel Photoplay, Inc." and that part in the middle of "What a Game" when the boy catches the foul ball, the ethereal harp glissandi sounds like it could have been a "slow-motion" sequence.

Does anyone remember if there was any in the 1994 revival of DAMN YANKEES? There very well could have been, because in the beginning of track 28 on the revival CD, we hear a thunderclap (a modified version of the famous "Castle Thunder" sound). Was there any other moment in which they used strobes?

"How could she just suddenly, completely disappear into thin water?" - The Little Mermaid

COOOOLkid
#14re: Most and/or longest uses of strobe lights in a single production
Posted: 1/25/08 at 3:59pm

well not strobe lighting but Carrie used lazer lights all the way through the Destruction

And we're not asking for you to brag about how you have the bootleg copy of the DVD.

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

Yankeefan007
#15re: Most and/or longest uses of strobe lights in a single production
Posted: 1/25/08 at 4:01pm

Everybody and their brother have a bootleg copy of Carrie. Except you, evidentely.

Mattbrain
#16re: Most and/or longest uses of strobe lights in a single production
Posted: 1/25/08 at 4:05pm

I don't have one either.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

Yankeefan007
#17re: Most and/or longest uses of strobe lights in a single production
Posted: 1/25/08 at 4:09pm

Well that kills my sarcastic retort! Thanks! re: Most and/or longest uses of strobe lights in a single production

(No hard feelings.)

COOOOLkid
#18re: Most and/or longest uses of strobe lights in a single production
Posted: 1/25/08 at 4:21pm

Everybody and their brother have a bootleg copy of Carrie. Except you, evidentely.

Oh please, when did I say that I don't own a copy? re: Most and/or longest uses of strobe lights in a single production

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#19re: Most and/or longest uses of strobe lights in a single production
Posted: 1/25/08 at 5:28pm

"Hedwig" had the best strobe use that I have ever seen !

The_Jackal Profile Photo
The_Jackal
#20re: Most and/or longest uses of strobe lights in a single production
Posted: 1/25/08 at 7:17pm

I saw a production of Hair that used strobe lights during Claude's drug trippy sequence. I don't know if this is done in most productions, but I do know that it started to get to me after a little while...

Josh Freilich
#21re: Most and/or longest uses of strobe lights in a single production
Posted: 9/8/08 at 5:33pm

I saw in [title of show] there are strobes in it. I never saw the show yet, but I'm guessing that it's in "September Song" after the line "coverage in the press".

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#22re: Most and/or longest uses of strobe lights in a single production
Posted: 9/8/08 at 5:37pm

Why are we excluding Gypsy? It probably takes the cake...

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#23re: Most and/or longest uses of strobe lights in a single production
Posted: 9/8/08 at 5:37pm

Has anyone here seen "Little Mermaid?" (Well, I'm guessing Josh Freilich has, given his signature.) Anyway, at the end of Norm Lewis' big old thunderous reprise of "The World Above," he gets to blow up a lot of Ariel's stuff with his trident. This involves humongous, painfully bright flashes of light. I swear, there were dots floating in front of my eyes for the next four of five numbers.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

Mekroth
#24re: Most and/or longest uses of strobe lights in a single production
Posted: 9/8/08 at 5:54pm

"Why are we excluding Gypsy? It probably takes the cake..."

Gypsy has been mentioned more than once in this thread.