pixeltracker

How Long Do You Think [title of show] will Last- Page 5

How Long Do You Think [title of show] will Last

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#100re: How Long Do You Think [title of show] will Last
Posted: 7/30/08 at 11:25pm

"The majority of tourist see 1 Broadway show, MAYBE 2. Looking at the charts it's obvious they go for flashy instead of substance."

Hmm, interesting theory, but not all tourists are "non theatre" people. Thousands and thousand of real theatre folk go to Broadway just to see GOOD theatre. I know half a dozen "tourists" who have gone to NYC in recent months and have seen only one show or maybe two, but all of them have seen August: Osage County. Is that what you call "flashy rather than substance"? I'm also on a travel board and there have been numerous people making "pilgrimages" to NYC for the sole purpose of seeing August: Osage County. These are tourists who KNOW theatre, and you'd better believe there are a whole lot of them out there.

Meanwhile, every day here I see dozens of posts from NYC locals who have seen Little Mermaid or Young Frankenstein or Legally Blonde or Xanadu dozens and dozens of times. I think it's unfair to look at the statistics and suppose it is only tourists who go for "flashy" rather than substance!

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#101re: How Long Do You Think [title of show] will Last
Posted: 7/30/08 at 11:25pm

sorry. double post Updated On: 7/30/08 at 11:25 PM

Boq101
#102re: How Long Do You Think [title of show] will Last
Posted: 7/30/08 at 11:49pm

Spring Awakening used to ask its teenage fans that lived nearby to spend their weekend passing out fliers for the show. they were rewarded with free t-shirts or other merchandise.

njohn
#103re: How Long Do You Think [title of show] will Last
Posted: 7/31/08 at 1:05am

Patash, count me in as a tourist who wants substance THEN flash. I can't say that I know theatre, but I know substance and quality when I see it. I'm planning a NY trip in the near future to see A:OC and [tos], that is if it's still there.

hockeynut2
#104re: How Long Do You Think [title of show] will Last
Posted: 7/31/08 at 2:24pm

How about stopping for a moment predicting the demise of this wonderful show, and listen to this wonderful Heidi Blickenstaff podcast that I recorded a few days before the show opened? Hope you enjoy it. Joel
Heidi Blickenstaff Podcast on DC Theatre Scene.com,

ghostlight2
#105re: How Long Do You Think [title of show] will Last
Posted: 7/31/08 at 5:57pm

"I think the producers are smart enough to know which theatre to pick. They obviously chose it for a reason"

Or more likely, they took what they could get, Rentboy. You seldom get a choice in what theater you can have.

And *SPOILER!!!*, the set flies away to bring the show back to ground, right back where it began, in a little blackbox theater. My theory, anyway.

Thesbijean
#106re: How Long Do You Think [title of show] will Last
Posted: 7/31/08 at 6:11pm

Firstly, 65% of ALL Broadway theatergoers attend 1-2 shows a year. That's a cold hard fact. And what a coincidence, just under 70% of all Broadway ticket holders are not from the Tri-State area.

Secondly, the reality is, Title of Show costs $175,000 a week to run. As long as it's grossing around $160,000 a week, the producers will try and keep it going, hoping that in the next couple of months the grosses will slowly rise to around $200,000, and ideally beyond that. I don't know if it's going to happen, it really depends on word of mouth and smart marketing.

fvalle24
#107re: How Long Do You Think [title of show] will Last
Posted: 7/31/08 at 6:20pm

I receive the TKTS e-mails, and I haven't seen [tos] on there...does anyone know if that's the case?

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#108re: How Long Do You Think [title of show] will Last
Posted: 7/31/08 at 8:11pm

I don't know what you mean about tkts emails, but it has consistently been on the board from day one. It's also a regular fixture on tdf.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!