pixeltracker

The Wild Party: Lippa vs LaChiusa- Page 3

The Wild Party: Lippa vs LaChiusa

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#50The Wild Party: Lippa vs LaChiusa
Posted: 7/3/15 at 4:54pm

I know this is the leventy-leven thread on this subject, but for whatever reason, THIS is the thread that sent me to iTunes to download the Lippa version.

So there's something to be said for repetition...

IronMan Profile Photo
IronMan
#51The Wild Party: Lippa vs LaChiusa
Posted: 7/3/15 at 10:28pm

First of all, it's nice that we're all still talking about both versions... but...

The LaChiusa was sabotaged in its Broadway production by Mandy.  I have NEVER before seen (nor do I hope to) a performance that was so disrespectful to everyone in the building and that would have gotten him fired from community theater.  It totally ruined the play and everyone's experience of it. But that aside, I didn't care for the score, direction (Queenie bares her tits in the opening number?  REALLY?  What the hell kind of Vaudeville did George Wolfe think existed? Not even cheap burlesque could do that!), and most performances were... blah. At one point about halfway through I checked my watch, which had an indiglo dial (remember those?) and the whole row leaned over towards me.  I feared I'd disturbed them, but they only wanted to know how much longer we were to be kept hostage.  I mouthed, "another hour" and everyone sat back with a sigh. 

Lippa's version, on the other hand, was tense, thrilling, exciting THEATRE.  It remains one of the few post-LP OCRs that I will listen to. 

I see others here don't agree with me, and that's fine.  Each to his own, but that's my 2 cents. 

"What- and quit show business?" - the guy shoveling elephant shit at the circus.

Michael Kras Profile Photo
Michael Kras
#52The Wild Party: Lippa vs LaChiusa
Posted: 7/4/15 at 10:39pm

LaChiusa without question. That music grabs you and refuses to let go.

Lippa's is generic pandering pop music with godawful lyrics.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#53The Wild Party: Lippa vs LaChiusa
Posted: 7/5/15 at 2:16am

Surely it's time for a revival of LaChiusa's show too?

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#54The Wild Party: Lippa vs LaChiusa
Posted: 7/5/15 at 9:59pm

I think a discussion of multiple musical treatments of the same story could be thought-provoking. There are more than I thought...!

Cinderella (R+H, Into the Woods, Disney)

Phantom (ALW, Yeston/Kopit)

Marilyn Monroe (Musical Fable, BOMBSHELL)

King Arthur (Camelot, SPAMALOT)

Henry VIII (Six Wives, Rex)

AIDA (Opera v. musical)

And, of course, Wild Party...

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#55The Wild Party: Lippa vs LaChiusa
Posted: 7/6/15 at 8:53am

I appreciate the recommendation to get the Lippa score. To my ear, it isn't so much "pop" as traditional musical theater and we did laugh out loud at some of the bad lyrics; but I'm glad to have it. To my ear, however, the LaChiusa is a more important score.

Updated On: 7/6/15 at 08:53 AM

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#56The Wild Party: Lippa vs LaChiusa
Posted: 7/6/15 at 11:25am

I didn't see either of the original productions, but I have seen professional productions of each.  LaChiusa brings in extra characters that aren't in the book to make statements on the culture of the times.  The original Queenie for LaChiusa's version, Vanessa Williams, got pregnant before the broadway opening and was replaced with Toni Collette.  The production I saw in Toronto went back to a mixed race Queenie passing for white and living with a man who made his living playing in black face.  In Toronto, they had a black man playing Burrs in blackface, and a white man playing Mr. Black.  I find it a relentlessly depressing show, with all the characters showing the worst of themselves all the time.  The music is top notch and perfect for the characters.  The one upbeat group number is at the end of act I, that LaChiusa put in as a finale, because the original concept was to be one act and it was getting too long, he thought they may end up cutting the show there.

I like the Lippa version better, as it is more of a roller coaster ride.  You know from the beginning where it will end, but there is more comedy and rollicking good fun along the way as a wild party should and is truer to the novella.

neonlightsxo
#57The Wild Party: Lippa vs LaChiusa
Posted: 7/6/15 at 11:28am

"The LaChiusa was sabotaged in its Broadway production by Mandy. I have NEVER before seen (nor do I hope to) a performance that was so disrespectful to everyone in the building and that would have gotten him fired from community theater. It totally ruined the play and everyone's experience of it."

Can you explain what you mean by this? It sounds like you're talking about his off-stage behavior rather than his performance.

Brick
#58The Wild Party: Lippa vs LaChiusa
Posted: 7/6/15 at 12:07pm

Ironman, I think you bring up a good point with the original productions of each.

I happen to enthusiastically agree I prefer LaChuisa's score. That said, I don't think that production made the best case for the show. And while Lippa's score was, for me, too traditional, it was given a production that showcased it's strengths better.

I'm happy to see Lippa's get a new life at Encores, and I wish LaChuisa's version could fine one, as well. I think it's LaChuisa's best and most-approachable score, by far.

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#59The Wild Party: Lippa vs LaChiusa
Posted: 7/6/15 at 12:09pm

Ado Annie D'Ysquith: I have seen the 2 versions of Phantom and the Wild Party you mention.  As well as Aida.  But, just staying in the musical theater genre.   There are at least 5 licensable versions of Beauty & The Beast (I have 3 CDs versions).  I have seen 2 versions of "It's a Wonderful Life" and not "A Wonderful Life" version by Sheldon Harnick/Joe Raposo.  But, there are at least 2 other licensable version of that story.

There is a made for TV movie called Cindy, setting the Cinderella in a black neighborhood in NYC during WWII.

The Wizard of Oz, The Wiz, The Wizard of Oz (Frank Baum's own musicalization from 1902), ALW just took the movie score and cut about 2/3 of it and added his own new songs as well as pieces of classical music.