News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for IronMan

IronMan Profile Photo
Member Name: IronMan
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Naked Boys Singing has closed
 Feb 1 2024, 09:35:57 AM

My brain read this as "Naked Boys Singing has clothed." 

Non Equity Tours
 Jan 30 2024, 09:53:09 AM

There is currently a non-equity tour out now, and the base pay for the ensemble is what I used to get for doing non-equity tours... THIRTY YEARS AGO.  It used to be that those tours were the only place that young performers could be paid well and gain valuable experience, but it seems things have changed and producers are taking advantage of them.  

Why on earth was New York New York nominated??
 Dec 28 2023, 10:23:43 PM

Is it possible to block someone here so you don't have to see their posts?

Just curious. 

Elton John has The Palace for Tammy musical
 Dec 8 2023, 10:22:57 PM

"Oh, Elton John... must we continue this charade?"

-Man in Chair (and I concur)

Pre-Broadway sell outs that flopped on Broadway
 Nov 12 2023, 10:16:02 AM

FANtomFollies said: "IronMan said: "ACL2006 said: "American Idiot, Bandstand, the 2006 Company revival."

American Idiot was critically acclaimed and ran over a year. Hardly a flop.
"

It's becoming obvious many people on this forum don't know what a flop is. A flop is any show that fails to recoup it's investment and make a profit. It doesn't matter if it runs for a long time or is praised by critics or audienc

Pre-Broadway sell outs that flopped on Broadway
 Nov 11 2023, 11:20:29 PM

ACL2006 said: "American Idiot, Bandstand, the 2006 Company revival."

American Idiot was critically acclaimed and ran over a year.  Hardly a flop. 

Danny and the Deep Blue Sea
 Nov 9 2023, 03:35:26 PM

I saw it this week and it's still haunting me.  I don't understand the negative reactions here... I wasn't familiar with the play, so perhaps that made a difference.  Now that I've researched the history of other productions, I'm even more impressed.  First-time director Jeff Ward has a big future and I look forward to his directing career. 

VERY big spoiler:

Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
 Oct 30 2023, 12:29:51 PM

Where will they insert the tap challenge?  Will it be in "A Little Priest" or "By The Sea"? 

American Psycho
 Sep 25 2023, 11:49:42 AM

Benjamin Walker being denied a Tony nom is still upsetting to me.  One of the finest performances I've been privileged to witness; his command of character was astounding.  The shifts between the public face of Patrick Bateman (with all his insecurities) and his interior thoughts (where he was vastly superior to everyone else) were a master class in subtlety.   

The show wasn't perfect, but it had a distinct, unique point of view and an overall vision that a

Favorite theatre related podcasts?
 Aug 8 2023, 11:34:00 AM

Matt Koplik's podcast, Broadway Breakdown, is delightful.  He and his guests are like those people at a party that you wish you'd started a conversation with. 

Aug 7 2023, 07:27:38 PM

This made me think of two very different shows: 

SARAFINA! (1988).  A searing look at how Apartheid affected high school students, performed by South African teens.  Joyous, thrilling, and an evening that I can recall specific moments from 35+ years later.  

DO BLACK PATENT LEATHER SHOES REALLY REFLECT UP? (1982).  Just a fun romp through Catholic school from 1st grade to graduation and beyond.  Silly, but

digital vs cd
 Aug 5 2023, 11:35:50 PM

CDs?????? Who the heck uses that outdated format?

I'll stick with my vinyl, thank you. 

Aug 4 2023, 04:39:42 PM

If you set the show in 2023, would it be for a reunion of The Will Rogers Follies company?  Instead of "Who's That Woman" they put their wheelchairs in a line and do "Favorite Son"? 

NY, NY may be on its way to closing-NY Post
 Jul 24 2023, 12:31:30 AM

Yes, by union rules they only need to give one week's notice.  I once worked a flop that was given notice on a Tuesday evening that the show would close at the end of that week on Sunday, which is allowable.  And we all fully expected it. 

When a show is struggling (and everyone involved knew this one wasn't hitting), you dread the expected "Full company meeting on stage" announcement.  It's never cake. 

Grey House matinee CANCELLED 5/17
 May 17 2023, 01:18:37 PM

Went to pick up my ticket and they had someone outside announcing that the matinee was cancelled due to Covid.  I have no information about this evening. 

Shen Yun 2023
 Feb 8 2023, 05:07:37 PM

Shen Yun is the money-making arm of the Falun Gong, a Chinese Armageddon cult.  They gave millions to the former President, as they believe that he will bring about the End Times (which they may not be wrong about).  The show is anti-evolution propaganda.  Don't give them a penny. 

Musicals that should've won the Pulitzer
 Jan 10 2023, 04:16:18 PM

Bring in 'da Noise/Bring in 'da Funk absolutely should have won instead of Rent.  

The Inheritance Video Recording
 Jan 4 2023, 10:05:47 AM

I was at the final performance the night before Broadway shut down, and there were cameras all over recording it.  They had already done the taping for Lincoln Center (I believe) so I don't know what this was for, but I hope it's released at some point!  Especially as one of the actors climbed over me while making his way to the stage (showing up wasted to the wedding). 

KIMBERLY AKIMBO Reviews
 Dec 27 2022, 12:11:19 AM

I saw it a few weeks ago, and recommended it to others because it's an original musical, it's moving, and provokes discussion.  I'm still thinking about it, and yes, give Victoria all the awards for this performance. But... I do have a few quibbles. 

Spoilers, if you haven't seen it (and you should):

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content
PHANTOM extends through April 16
 Nov 29 2022, 11:50:23 AM

Which is almost exactly what I predicted would happen (I had said it would extend until Memorial Day).   No one should be surprised at this 'news.' 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You