pixeltracker

Chris Colombus after Rent...what has he done since?- Page 2

Chris Colombus after Rent...what has he done since?

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#25re: Chris Colombus after Rent...what has he done since?
Posted: 12/8/08 at 3:47pm

The alternative ending to RENT was better than the one they ultimately went with. It was the perfect bookend since the movie began with all of them lined up on stage. Why he decided to go with the ending he choose I'll never know. Ending the movie on a stage would have made the movie feel complete and satisfying. When the movie ended in the movie theater the atmosphere was sad. It if memory serves me it was extremely quite when the credits started to roll. A startling difference from the broadway show.

I also agree they should have keep in Goodbye Love & Halloween. They cut out Mark’s only solo and character song.
The dialog was also forced. If the actors had to speak song lyrics that were rhyming they might has well have sung it. It was ridiculous.

The breaking and entering scene in act 2 was a thud. Should have been sung.

With all that said I will acknowledge I loved Seasons of Love, Rent, I Should Tell You, Without You, the I’ll Cover You reprise and Tango: Maureen.

javertim
#26re: Chris Colombus after Rent...what has he done since?
Posted: 12/8/08 at 4:13pm

Chbosky's original screenplay is quite excellent, IMO (it has very, very little in common with the final shooting script). There is a great deal more dialogue than song and it also includes quite a bit of back-story that isn't part of the stage show.