rOcKS @ '33 Variations'

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#1rOcKS @ '33 Variations'
Posted: 2/27/09 at 5:01pm

I'll try to keep this relatively brief...

I saw the show last night (it was also a benefit performance for the Tectonic Theater Project) and got my ticket through TDF (30 bucks, Row H in the Orchestra...couldn't have been more perfect). Basically, I liked the show but wasn't crazy about it.

There's a bunch of scenes that are absolutely wonderfully written (the scene with Fonda on the airplane, the opening scene, and the scene with Clara and Mike in the theater immediately come to mind) and others are well-written if a bit uninspired and some (a very few) are meandering and boring. Moises Kaufman is a brilliant writer and while this isn't close to being his best work, it's still a pretty good addition to his legacy. I liked the scenes taking place in present day much more than I liked the scenes with Diabelli and Beethoven.

I really loved the set designs but wasn't a fan of the lighting (the lights went from too dark to too bright too fast). Kaufman's direction is fine, nothing amazing.

Of course, the best part of the show is seeing Jane Fonda perform live. She looks great, first off, and delivers a really fully fleshed-out, interesting, relatable character. It's great to have her back on the stage...she's as wonderful as ever. The rest of the cast was solid but I mostly enjoyed Susan Kellermann and Colin Hanks.

The first act is a lot better than the second (that scene about hiring the gigolo for Katherine is the worst in the show and should be cut...pointless).

It's not a perfect show but it's pretty strong. Nothing about it screams "must see," something that Broadway plays really need now. I hope it does well and I think Fonda will get a well-deserved Tony nod.

I can't decide if it deserves **1/2 or *** but...
*** out of ****

Updated On: 2/27/09 at 05:01 PM

ItSucks2BAveQ Profile Photo
ItSucks2BAveQ
#2re: rOcKS @ '33 Variations'
Posted: 2/27/09 at 6:26pm

nice review!

Videos