News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Adam Guettel

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#25re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 4/2/09 at 11:12pm

"Because most of the theatre people I know thinks that LitP was another case of Guettel appearing to be more interested in impressing his theory teachers than trusting his God-given melodic talent"

Ok, so did YOU take a poll?

Anyways, this might be true if it sounded forced... but it doesn't. The score flows beautifully and every note seems well placed. Everyone has their opinion, and just because some people like LITP does not mean you need to say they are snobs, because the majority are not.

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#26re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 4/2/09 at 11:32pm

I have Guettel on my iPod (Myths and Hymns, Floyd Collins, and Piazza)...but I also have Wildhorn, Lloyd Webber, Bernstein, Sondheim, Herman, Kander, Larson, Styne, Porter, Yazbeck, Schoenberg, Schwartz, Rodgers, Loewe, Loesser, Brown, LaChiusa, Tesori, Gordon, Coleman, Flaherty, Yeston, Schmidt, Harnick, Hamlisch, O'Keefe, Studney, Hollman, Simon, Marx, LeGrand, Lippa, Menken, Brooks, Strouse, Geld, Darien, Gershwin, Kern, Ulvaeus, Rowe, John, etc. etc. etc.

What does one's iPod playlist have to do with anything? Are people not allowed to enjoy many different compositional styles or should we all pigeonhole ourselves into just one?

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

SporkGoddess
#27re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 4/3/09 at 12:01am

I guess people aren't allowed to have different opinions on music. re: Adam Guettel

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#28re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 4/3/09 at 12:46pm

i understand some don't appreciate him, but you can bet their ipods go straight to jekyll & hyde, young frankenstein, or shrek.

LONG LIVE THE EITHER ORS!!

DEATH TO THE ANDS!!!

It is impossible for anyone to enjoy more than one style of musical. It does not happen and it never will. And anyone who enjoys musicals by unapproved composers don't count anyway because they obviously do not have an ounce of intelligence, style or physical attractiveness. They should be sitting in the back of the bus and have separate restroom facilities so as not to contaminate God's pure and chosen race. But even the unclean are above the alcoholic barbarians who claim to have "enjoyed" Rock of Ages. They are lower than the dirt under the fingernails of Wildhorn fans and fit only for the kindling on which to build the pyre for roasting anyone who liked Cats or Mamma Mia.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

husk_charmer
#29re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 4/3/09 at 1:21pm

Personally, after his remarks in a radio interview while Piazza was out of town, I think he should stay away from the theatre like the ungrateful asswipe he is.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Sally Simpson2
#30re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 4/3/09 at 2:21pm

I heard that Adam just got married a few months ago.

SporkGoddess
#31re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 4/3/09 at 3:37pm

husk_charmer: Wait, what did he say?

husk_charmer
#32re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 4/3/09 at 3:39pm

That LITP was going to help save musical theatre from the fluff of the past.

Sorry, that "fluff of the past" is what gave you the trust fund you are using.

He said something similar when he was in Fort Worth a few months ago.

SporkGoddess
#33re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 4/3/09 at 3:47pm

Man, just once I'd like to have a favorite composer of mine not act ridiculously arrogant. :/

husk_charmer
#34re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 4/3/09 at 3:50pm

SporkGoddess-
I know, I was appalled. Even if you do think it's fluff, when it was written by your grandfather, you don't say it publicly and on record. That's just bad form.

turquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
#35re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 4/3/09 at 6:24pm

I have Floyd Collins on my iPod and Shrek the Musical. I can appreciate all kinds of music so don't think me liking Shrek devalues my opinion in any way.

A month ago I hadn't heard of Floyd Collins so I don't want to comment too much but you can't judge a person my an iPod playlist.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#36re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 4/4/09 at 5:03am

I was devastated when The Princess Bride fell through. D:

Me too. I'm still sad about it. D:

As for Floyd Collins, I've found people tend to fall into one of three camps:

- never heard of it
- mean to get around to it some day
- wish they'd found it sooner

It's plain amazing. :3

As for composer arrogance, yowch. :/ I try not to let creators with a negative personality affect my enjoyment of their work, but I enjoy things so much more when I know the creator is lovely. Damn. :/

Adam Guettel
#37re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 4/6/09 at 5:46pm

Hey all, just to be true to form, I thought I would procrastinate a little and add my two cents. I absolutely adore my grandfather's work. The more I work in the field the more amazed I am at the depth and consistency of his output. I would be lucky to contribute a quarter of what he has to this beautiful art form and could site a number of interviews in which I've said as much and gone into detail. I can't imagine saying anything to the contrary publicly or privately. Regarding my own work, I'm quite sure it wouldn't save the musical theater even if that were necessary. But I will say, I am hard at it on three new projects, and with any luck they ought to be finished in thirty or forty years. Many thanks to all who like what I write.

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#38re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 4/6/09 at 7:14pm

well ****.

now all the **** i was going to say about Myths and Hymns will just look like ass kissing.

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#39re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 12/14/11 at 9:38pm

He performed excerpts from FOUR...count 'em...four new projects in the works on Monday at NYU. I won't divulge into details out of respect for Adam's creative process, but for those of you who like his stuff, he's working on plenty of new shows...I guess to make up for lost time?

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#40re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 12/14/11 at 10:33pm

I guess Princess Bride is officially dead, thanks in no part to William Goldman...

But isn't he still working on a musical of Danny Boyle's family film Millions and a more operatic take on some Washington Irving short stories?

broadwaybabytn Profile Photo
broadwaybabytn
#41re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 12/14/11 at 10:38pm

Princess Bride... There was so much potential there.

By the way, just realized William Goldman and James Goldman are brothers. Based on that tidbit, I will now blame the Widow Goldman for the demise of The Princess Bride.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#42re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 12/14/11 at 10:50pm

Princess Bride is dead. Millions is happening. So is Washington Irving.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#43re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 12/14/11 at 10:52pm

I wonder if anything from Bride leaked---still owuld be fascinating.

I thought of the Widow Goldman too but William is sill alive (and wanted something ridiculous like 3/4s of the royalties).

Wonder if he'll do Sleepy Hollow--it could never be as good as the infamous Broadway flop version re: Adam Guettel

After Eight
#44re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 12/14/11 at 11:24pm

"Wonder if he'll do Sleepy Hollow--it could never be as good as the infamous Broadway flop version "

For once, Eric, you're probably right.

Maybe you're starting to come around, after all.

Owen22
#45re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 12/14/11 at 11:45pm

Never liked the score to Floyd Collins, but LOVE Light in the Piazza.

After Eight
#46re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 12/15/11 at 8:35am

"i understand some don't appreciate him, but you can bet their ipods go straight to jekyll & hyde, young frankenstein, or shrek."

Save your money.

I don't like any of Guettel's works, and my ipod never goes to the shows you mentioned.

So many of these composers offer up the same dross time after time: ugly, brooding, boring, whiny. The thought of giving us something agreeable or melodic is absolute anathema to them. And I guess that's why their shows are anathema to me.

Such is the trail that the trailblazer has blazed.

sondhead
#47re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 12/15/11 at 8:45am

"The thought of giving us something agreeable or melodic is absolute anathema to them."

You may not like Adam Guettel's music, which is fine, but to say that of his work is pretty preposterous. He writes beautiful melodies. Though the beauty is a matter of opinion, the fact that his work is melodic and at many times "agreeable" is not. To focus on only the sections of his scores that sound dissonant is to miss a large portion of what he actually writes.

People use this argument of Stephen Sondheim as well, and it's just as preposterous. We're talking about men who wrote "Send in the Clowns," "Losing My Mind," "The Light in the Piazza," "Say It Somehow," "How Glory Goes," etc. etc. etc.

You can not appreciate or like their music, but to call it a-melodic is just wrong.

After Eight
#48re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 12/15/11 at 10:18am

"You may not like Adam Guettel's music, which is fine, but to say that of his work is pretty preposterous. He writes beautiful melodies."

Says you.

"Though the beauty is a matter of opinion, the fact that his work is melodic and at many times "agreeable" is not."

Au contraire. It is.

ghostlight2
#49re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 12/15/11 at 10:35am

Says me, too, but it's ALL a matter of opinion.

Below is Kelly Clark(e), though personally I preferred Kelli O'Hara.

Updated On: 12/15/11 at 10:35 AM

Videos