News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Adam Guettel

sondhead
#50re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 12/15/11 at 2:43pm

" 'Though the beauty is a matter of opinion, the fact that his work is melodic and at many times "agreeable" is not.'

Au contraire. It is."

I'll give you the agreeableness, but the melodic nature of his music is not a matter of opinion. Dissonance does not equal a-melodic, nor atonal as many uninformed people describe the music of composers like Sondheim Guettel LaChiusa etc who sometimes choose to embrase dissonance.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#51re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 12/15/11 at 2:51pm

So true, sondhead, but arguing music with the musically illiterate is a pointless and headache-inducing exercise. Don't get caught in that trap.

I remember leaving the theatre after first seeing Sunday In The Park With George some 30 years ago, stunned and moved by what I had experienced, and overhearing a drab suburban suit behind me mutter to his friend, "well, it's not very melodic, is it?"

Comments like that and After Eight's are nothing but murder to the discussion of music. A philistine never realizes their philistinism. And someone who can't hear the melodies in Sondheim or Guettel's work has a tin ear.

But then, perhaps After Eight hears the melodies, but has too little grasp of English vocabulary to correctly state that he merely doesn't like them, rather than stupidly saying they don't exist.

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#52re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 12/15/11 at 3:08pm

I, for one, adore Adam's work and look forward anxiously to him finishing something new. If anyone can provide me a link to any of his stuff that has not been commercially recorded, I would be very grateful.

After Eight
#53re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 12/16/11 at 12:54am

"I remember leaving the theatre after first seeing Sunday In The Park With George some 30 years ago, stunned and moved by what I had experienced, and overhearing a drab suburban suit behind me mutter to his friend, "well, it's not very melodic, is it?""

That poor suit. He knew whereof he spoke.

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#54re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 12/16/11 at 2:21am

Pardon my ignorance, but what do you like, Eight?

After Eight
#55re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 12/16/11 at 7:26am

^

What do I like?

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens.....

And Porter, Coward, Rodgers ..... all the great ones.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#56re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 12/16/11 at 7:53am

I didn't bump this thread in order to make it filled with ill will and bitchery, so those who don't care for Guettel, Sondheim or whoever, kindly keep your mouths shut.

Merely wanted to update interested parties on Adam's projects. And yes, he is working on something with John Logan, as mentioned in Logan's recent BWW interview.

After Eight
#57re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 12/16/11 at 8:36am

"I didn't bump this thread in order to make it filled with ill will and bitchery, so those who don't care for Guettel, Sondheim or whoever, kindly keep your mouths shut. "

Sounds like a good example of "bitchery" to me.

Why not try to practice what you preach?

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#58re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 12/16/11 at 9:45am

Ignore him, jv; After Eight's mindless maundering is that of an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#59re: Adam Guettel
Posted: 12/16/11 at 12:22pm

After Eight, go listen to The Master of Blather and leave this thread alone.

Videos