News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/16

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/16

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/16
Posted: 5/9/16 at 3:18pm

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/16 Click below to access all the grosses from all the shows for the week ending 5/8/2016 in BroadwayWorld.com's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance was: DISASTER! (12.0%), ECLIPSED (10.3%), BRIGHT STAR (6.3%), CHICAGO (2.1%), THE FATHER (2.1%), LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT (1.8%), ON YOUR FEET! (1.7%), SHUFFLE ALONG, OR, THE MAKING OF THE MUSICAL SENSATION OF 1921 AND ALL THAT (1.6%), THE COLOR PURPLE (1.0%),

Down for the week by attendance was: SOMETHING ROTTEN! (-13.7%), TUCK EVERLASTING (-12.8%), AMERICAN PSYCHO (-11.0%), THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME (-10.9%), PARAMOUR (-10.9%), FIDDLER ON THE ROOF (-10.0%), THE KING AND I (-9.2%), THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (-8.9%), SCHOOL OF ROCK (-8.6%), FULLY COMMITTED (-8.4%), WICKED (-7.3%), BEAUTIFUL (-6.5%), AN AMERICAN IN PARIS (-6.3%), KINKY BOOTS (-4.4%), FINDING NEVERLAND (-4.3%), JERSEY BOYS (-4.1%), BLACKBIRD (-3.6%), THE CRUCIBLE (-3.3%), LES MISÉRABLES (-3.2%), MATILDA (-2.9%), THE HUMANS (-2.9%), FUN HOME (-2.7%), SHE LOVES ME (-1.8%), ALADDIN (-1.6%), THE LION KING (-0.6%), WAITRESS (-0.6%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (-0.3%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/16
Posted: 5/9/16 at 3:21pm

Tuck's gotta close up shop soon.

neonlightsxo
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/16
Posted: 5/9/16 at 3:21pm

Really rough week for Tuck, and now the Neverland announcement makes more sense.

NewsiesForever Profile Photo
NewsiesForever
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/16
Posted: 5/9/16 at 3:22pm

The question is, how much longer can Tuck Everlasting stay open, and the writing has to be on the wall for Jersey Boys and Kinky Boots. 

neonlightsxo
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/16
Posted: 5/9/16 at 3:24pm

JB and KB? No, they're fine as long as they aren't losing money week to week, and they don't seem to be.

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/16
Posted: 5/9/16 at 3:24pm

How much longer can Kinky Boots, Tuck, and Jersey Boys have with so many shows wanting to come in?

And I say it every week, but look at The Humans go!

Updated On: 5/9/16 at 03:24 PM

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/16
Posted: 5/9/16 at 3:27pm

Yay Bright Star!

Updated On: 5/9/16 at 03:27 PM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/16
Posted: 5/9/16 at 3:27pm

In the grand tradition of Amazing Grace, Disaster, Honeymoon in Vegas, On the Town, it can stay open until the silly rich people decide to pack their money bags and go home. 

neonlightsxo
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/16
Posted: 5/9/16 at 3:29pm

The Humans is doing great. A continued upward trajectory I hope!

Hairspray0901
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/16
Posted: 5/9/16 at 3:30pm

Ooooof Something Rotten Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/16 I hope they pick up sales this summer!!

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/16
Posted: 5/9/16 at 3:36pm

Sad to see Tuck doing so poorly. I saw it yesterday and actually quite enjoyed it. 

There were quite a few families there yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised if sales pick up a bit once summer vacation begins. Though it certainly won't magically transform into a hit just because of that. 

Updated On: 5/9/16 at 03:36 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/16
Posted: 5/9/16 at 4:11pm

Happy bright star got a pick up from its noms.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

VintageSnarker
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/16
Posted: 5/9/16 at 4:24pm

It is very sad to see Tuck doing poorly. I do think it's a beautiful looking production and mostly charming with some weaker songs. It's gotten a lot of vitriol that it doesn't deserve. Like JBroadway, I'm not betting on it becoming a hit but I think it has the potential to find an audience. Here's hoping it does. 

Also, I'm not a student. Eclipsed isn't filling the theatre that well or bringing in that big of a gross. Are there discounts somewhere that I am not aware of or are they just sticking to their guns? 

neonlightsxo
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/16
Posted: 5/9/16 at 4:29pm

Eclipsed has been on TDF. I saw it through TDF about a month ago. I imagine there are other discounts out there as well.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/16
Posted: 5/9/16 at 4:30pm

There's an Eclipsed discount on BroadwayBox- I've been meaning to use it at some point.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.
Updated On: 5/9/16 at 04:30 PM

ChiTheaterFan
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/16
Posted: 5/9/16 at 4:30pm

Both Broadway box and theater mania have had discount codes for eclipsed for awhile. I've gotten several emails. 

Queen of the Night
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/16
Posted: 5/9/16 at 4:33pm

I agree that if Tuck can hang on until summer vacation it might be ok for a while. I do think that the producers are suddenly ramping up the promotion of the show, which I feel was sorely lacking before it opened. There was no presence in NYC for it (no billboard in Times Square, the theater looked kind of empty from the outside, no tv commercials). When I was at TKTS a few weeks ago, people we're saying they had never even heard of it. But the parents and kids I saw at the show did really seem to like it, so it may have a chance once school is out. 

10086sunset
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/16
Posted: 5/9/16 at 4:44pm

It feels like the bottom has fallen out on Tuck..They can't get any worse, right?

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/16
Posted: 5/9/16 at 4:47pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Happy bright star got a pick up from its noms."

It's a de minimis pickup. It is losing in the vicinity of $200k weekly, a lot to make up and not much to look forward to at the Tonys.

Mike66
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/16
Posted: 5/9/16 at 5:10pm

HogansHero said: "Call_me_jorge said: "Happy bright star got a pick up from its noms."

It's a de minimis pickup. It is losing in the vicinity of $200k weekly, a lot to make up and not much to look forward to at the Tonys.

"So here we have the sad underside to "Hamilton."  All the buzz is Hamilton, even though you cant beg a ticket -- and lots of these other shows, which are perfectly wonderful, cant get noticed.  If we think of all the shows that could use a little help at the Tonys -- and then we think about whether they actually will be washed away in the Hami-flood....  another reason why I'm not a producer.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/16
Posted: 5/9/16 at 5:23pm

@Mike66-there might be some truth in that but I'm not so sure there is cause and effect. Bright Star is actually getting quite a bit of attention, in print and on TV. If it is not getting traction, I don't think it is necessarily Hamilton's fault. 

Videos