News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Laramie project

hannahshule Profile Photo
hannahshule
#0Laramie project
Posted: 5/23/05 at 6:39pm

Hi everyone!
I have an audition coming up in my school for the Laramie Project, and I need to prepare a 1 mintute monologue. A few questions:

1) Any monologue suggestions (comic, dramatic, classic) I was thinking of doing the one from "The Seagull) with Nina.

2)What is the basic story of TLP? What kinds of characters etc.

3)Has anyone seen it? what are your basic impressions of it?

Thanks for your help!

~And let us try, before we die, to make some sense of life~

broadwayguy2
#1re: Laramie project
Posted: 5/23/05 at 6:41pm

Updated On: 5/23/05 at 06:41 PM

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#2re: Laramie project
Posted: 5/23/05 at 6:58pm

The Laramie Project is one of the most emotional moving plays I have ever seen
It is about the people of Laramie and how they are affected by the murder of Matthew Shepard
The script's dialogue is taken from actual interviews from the town's citizens
Best of luck

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#3re: Laramie project
Posted: 5/23/05 at 7:02pm

I have done a production of The Laramie Project. What y oureally want to do is make sure you play the role like a real person ,Which I know you should do for all roles, but especially for this, since the dialogue is excerpts from real interviews, there are random "ums" and "you know" and "like" all over the place. I wouldn't do a monologue from "The Seagull". Try maybe a monologue from something more modern?

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

krisjoseph Profile Photo
krisjoseph
#4re: Laramie project
Posted: 5/23/05 at 7:04pm

1) The Laramie Project's content is drawn almost entirely from interviews with real people. It is composed almost entirely of monologues. The play is presented pseudo-documentary-style, so IMHO the key to making it work is finding versatile actors who can give voice to the people of Laramie in the most natural, effortless manner possible. For the audition, I would work with something contemporary... Chekhov doesn't fit that bill. You might look at material from other plays that Moises Kaufman has had a hand in: "The Three Trials of Oscar Wilde" and "I Am My Own Wife" spring to mind (Kaufman didn't write the latter but he did act as advisor to the script development process and his influence is clearly visible)

2) The Laramie Project is about how the town of Laramie copes with the death of Matthew Shepard. The play is, as I said, based on real interviews with the town's real residents. If you're not familiar with Matthew's story, Google is your best friend in the world, after you start with the Matthew Shepherd Foundation web site at www.matthewshepard.org. IMHO, though, the play is MORE about how a small town copes with tragedy and less about a hate crime (I'm sure people will disagree with that, but I stand by it). There are some 60 (?) characters in the show, and most of the time it is done with a cast of about eight (again, I think this is because the focus is on the impact of the tragedy on the town, and not on the individuals there). Obviously, then, the actors need to be able to play numerous roles, each. This is not an easy play to do well... but it does get done a lot. Do the math on that one re: Laramie project There is an HBO Film version of the play that you can rent from most decent video stores -- it's pretty good, and sticks pretty close to the script.

3) Done well, it's a powerful theatrical experience. Done badly, it's cheesy and plastic and rather painful to witness.

Best of luck. The play is a good one for schools to do. You stand to learn a great deal from the experience.

"There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde
Updated On: 5/23/05 at 07:04 PM

hannahshule Profile Photo
hannahshule
#5re: Laramie project
Posted: 5/23/05 at 7:05pm

Thanks for all your help!

~And let us try, before we die, to make some sense of life~

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#6re: Laramie project
Posted: 5/23/05 at 7:09pm

I think the show runs long.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

ElphieDefiesGravity Profile Photo
ElphieDefiesGravity
#7re: Laramie project
Posted: 5/23/05 at 7:38pm

It's about 3 hours long.

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Wishes come true, not free.

filmgirl325 Profile Photo
filmgirl325
#8re: Laramie project
Posted: 5/23/05 at 7:46pm

We were one of the first high schools in our area to do this show..and I was lucky enough to stage manage for it. Everynight I would see the emotional impact this show has on people, and there was never a dry eye by the end of it. Every director does it differently, but ours cast 8 people and each person played 6 to 8 characters. It's an amazing show when it's done well...unfortunately another local high school saw our production and tried to do it with a larger cast...and well it wasn't very good. As someone mentioned earlier, it's a difficult show to do well, but if it is...it's very powerful stuff. We as a cast and crew we're emotionally drained by the end of it's run. Best of luck, and enjoy yourself!

"It's the smile you smile that counts, happy thoughts in large amounts, any problem you can trounce, you can bounce right back."--Donald O'Connor

UnsaneLily87
#9re: Laramie project
Posted: 5/23/05 at 7:48pm

The Laramie Project is perhaps the most amazing bit of theater I've ever had the pleasure of being in. There are approximately 70 characters played by oh, 8-15 actors. There is no one starring role. It's a true ensemble piece.

Do a monologue that comes naturally. One that requires intensity.

Best of luck, and I hope you get it, being in it changed my life forever.

BwayTheatre11
#10re: Laramie project
Posted: 5/23/05 at 8:07pm

I bought this script and hope to read it this summer.

CCM '10!

green_duck Profile Photo
green_duck
#11re: Laramie project
Posted: 5/23/05 at 8:52pm

I have to comment. end of story.

I did 'Laramie' at my school (hence the icon) and it was the most amazing experience of my life. I got to play Marge, Sherry A., and about six others. It's incredibly moving and very emotional. I truly hope you get cast because this experience will be a huge growing point and highlight of your life. It was for me.

I suggest doing something from 'Angels in America' not just because it's mentioned in the play, but also because the general feel of it, as well as content, is very similar. Everyone's right, play it as real and natural as you can. There is nothing made up about these characters.

I wish you the best of luck. Tell us how it goes!

because when it's theatre, nothing else matters

LightMyCandle125 Profile Photo
LightMyCandle125
#12re: Laramie project
Posted: 5/23/05 at 11:11pm

bwaytheatre11--make sure you've got tissues by your side.

green duck--ditto to everything you said and i love the icon!

i was in it too, so if you have any questions, pm me! i played romaine and she just kicks butt!!! break a leg at your audition!

Be the change you wish to see in the world.

mikewood
#13re: Laramie project
Posted: 5/24/05 at 10:41am

If I was directing Laramie Project, someone presented a monologue from "The Seagull" as their monologue. You need to do something gritty and modern.

That's what I would be looking for as a director.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

mikewood
#14re: Laramie project
Posted: 5/24/05 at 10:46am

Hannah, you ARE going to read the script, right?

BLAH BLAH BLAH
Updated On: 5/24/05 at 10:46 AM

mikewood
#15re: Laramie project
Posted: 5/24/05 at 10:48am

I've got a monologue for you:

From Sam Shepard's "Fool for Love"
May, when she finishes Eddie's story.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Videos