News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Oh those History Boys 8/26 review.

Oh those History Boys 8/26 review.

smashingasian
#0Oh those History Boys 8/26 review.
Posted: 8/26/06 at 9:38pm

So I finally had the chance to see the play The History Boys today. There are no words that can explain how much I love this play. For a while I heard many great things about it, so I decided I would check it out before school started. Since I was in the city yesterday, I stopped by the Broadhurst to see if I could pick up an obstructed view seat. The guy at the box office was very nice and gave me seat D 15. He said I'd have a good view of everything and indeed was he correct. Except for the projection on stage I had a great seat (I just watched the samsung moniter above my head). I liked the music that they used for the little transition bits. Very catchy haha.

I had the full cast and was very impressed with everyone. The scene with the french was just hilarious. Dominic with no pants on... I think that speaks for itself! The cast was fantastic, the acting was superb, I couldn't have asked for anything better.

Jamie Parker and Samuel Barnett stood out particularly to me. Jamie's piano skills were absolutely amazing! One of my favorite parts is when he plays Rachmaninov's 2nd piano concerto (which just so happens to be one of my favorite piano compositions). I was surprised at Sam's singing voice. He's got quite a lovely one, I wouldn't mind seeing him in a musical.

"Sir, I think I may be a homosexual." Just the way he said it got the audience laughing. Also the "Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered" number had me cracking up. Sam did this pose leaning on the piano when singing "the trousers that cling to him" and the audience lost it. I loved how when Posner gets his "reward" he grabs Dominic's ass. Too funny. Gotta love that lingering haha.

Dakin is definitely a looker, no wonder why Irwin and Posner meet eyes looking at him. Dominic was really great, him in a school uniform= wow. Frances, Richard, Clive, and Stephen played their roles a justice. "I have not hitherto been allotted an inner voice..." was simply brilliant.

In the end, I went to the stagedoor and met Sam and Dominic. I was stuck in the aisle sandwiched between people trying to get to the door. If I had been there ealier, I could have got some of the other boys. Sam and Dominic were very nice lads, I even got to take a picture with them. All in all, I had a fantastic day with The History Boys. I'd love to see it again before it closes, maybe sometime soon. I really loved it, I did. Can't wait for the movie!

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#1re: Oh those History Boys 8/26 review.
Posted: 8/26/06 at 9:43pm

It's a GREAT play! I love it so much! (in case you hadn't noticed my 24/7 shilling re: Oh those History Boys 8/26 review.)

Glad you had a blast!

Yeah, getting out of the theater made me miss them all at the SD

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

markcohenwannabe69 Profile Photo
markcohenwannabe69
#2re: Oh those History Boys 8/26 review.
Posted: 8/26/06 at 9:53pm

yeah i just saw it today, and im basically in love. i knew it would be good, i had only heard good things about it, but i never expected to walk out of the theatre as impressed, and just amazed as i was. i cant even articulate how amazing that show was...it most certainly deserved every award it got! hell it was so good i think it should have been given best musical...even though its not a musical...but it pretty much was that amazing! Im def going back to see it a couple more times before it closes.

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#3re: Oh those History Boys 8/26 review.
Posted: 8/26/06 at 9:58pm

Loved it! It will be interesting to see if the movie will sell as well. Oscars, anyone?

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

smashingasian
#4re: Oh those History Boys 8/26 review.
Posted: 8/26/06 at 10:26pm

I'm very excited to the upcoming movie. It looks very true to the stage production. I really need to see it again!

re: Oh those History Boys 8/26 review.
re: Oh those History Boys 8/26 review.

How hot are those boys? I really wish I could have caught Jamie or Sacha because I really liked them too. I liked Sacha's mohawk-like hair style haha

Alejandra925 Profile Photo
Alejandra925
#5re: Oh those History Boys 8/26 review.
Posted: 8/26/06 at 10:37pm

smashingasian, thanks for the great review! I really want to see this play (too bad I don't live in or near NY). At least I have the movie to look forward to. Your pictures are gorgeous! Sam looks adorable and Dom sexy/mischevious. :)

A.

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#6re: Oh those History Boys 8/26 review.
Posted: 8/26/06 at 10:38pm

Jamie = hotness (x10000)

great pictures!

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

smashingasian
#7re: Oh those History Boys 8/26 review.
Posted: 8/26/06 at 10:44pm

Thanks Alejandra and Caroline! Now I totally get what all the hype was about. The show really is fantastic =]

BroadwayRandy0711 Profile Photo
BroadwayRandy0711
#8re: Oh those History Boys 8/26 review.
Posted: 8/27/06 at 5:11am

After a Sunday performance that I attended my partner and I raced outside and were practically the first ones there to wait. We got almost all of the cast and they were all in a hurry, they were going to go watch WWE for the night. The play is amazing. One of my favorites.

NS
#9re: Oh those History Boys 8/26 review.
Posted: 8/27/06 at 5:21am

You guys in New York are SO lucky to have the original cast out there. Its a brilliant play and cant wait for the film. Oh and Dominic Cooper is the best of the lot! - hot hot hot!! lol

joshy Profile Photo
joshy
#10re: Oh those History Boys 8/26 review.
Posted: 8/27/06 at 8:32am

Cute pictures!

"Sir, I think I may be a homosexual." Just the way he said it got the audience laughing.

Do New York audiences always laugh at that line? Hm.

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#11re: Oh those History Boys 8/26 review.
Posted: 8/27/06 at 10:53am

I saw Jamie in the afternoon when I was leaving work as he came out of the stage door. He looked so tired. I wanted to take him in my arms and make him feel better re: Oh those History Boys 8/26 review. I know James, and he told me they were all exhausted because of the Actor's Fund performance today... four shows in two days is never fun.

flaemmchen Profile Photo
flaemmchen
#12re: Oh those History Boys 8/26 review.
Posted: 8/27/06 at 10:56am

That whole speech usually has the New York audience laughing. Especially when he says "I'm a Jew, I'm small, I'm...homosexual, and I live in Sheffield. I'm ****ed." Most New Yorkers probably have no idea what's so bad about living in Sheffield, but they love it anyway!

Glad you enjoyed, smashingasian. Those photos are adorable and drool worthy.

"Peace! The charm's wound up." --Macbeth

joshy Profile Photo
joshy
#13re: Oh those History Boys 8/26 review.
Posted: 8/27/06 at 11:41am

"Especially when he says "I'm a Jew, I'm small, I'm...homosexual, and I live in Sheffield. I'm ****ed.""

Yeahh, people laugh at that, but that's meant to be a humorous line. I don't recall the London audience any time I saw it laughing at the "I think I may be homosexual line". To me it just seems kinda odd.

smashingasian
#14re: Oh those History Boys 8/26 review.
Posted: 8/27/06 at 11:51am

That whole speech usually has the New York audience laughing. Especially when he says "I'm a Jew, I'm small, I'm...homosexual, and I live in Sheffield. I'm ****ed." Most New Yorkers probably have no idea what's so bad about living in Sheffield, but they love it anyway!

Glad you enjoyed, smashingasian. Those photos are adorable and drool worthy.

I was actually thinking that during his little speech. I really didn't understand Sheffield part, but I loved it anyway. Usually I get confused, but Sam's acting was so good I forgot about getting confused haha.

Thanks for the picture comments! Yes, they are indeed adorable and drool worthy *winks*

Whatever happened to the movie poster thread? Did it get deleted? I never got a chance to see what the poster looked like and I'm curious to see it. Did anyone save a pic of it?

mabel Profile Photo
mabel
#15re: Oh those History Boys 8/26 review.
Posted: 8/27/06 at 12:37pm

First, BroadwayRandy0711: WWE? As in "World Wrestling Entertainment"?!?!? Hmmm.

And, Smashing...
Movie Poster Thread

But when did New Hampshire become--Such a backward wasteland of seatbelt hating crazies?...I mean, only 40 people actually live there. The others are just visitors who come for the tax-free liquor and three inches of novelty coastline. John Hodgeman on The Daily Show (1-30-07)
Updated On: 8/27/06 at 12:37 PM

Chanticleer148 Profile Photo
Chanticleer148
#16re: Oh those History Boys 8/26 review.
Posted: 8/27/06 at 12:55pm

Great Show! I hope to see it again.

This comment could bring out the Kool-aid sipping, moderator posing, BWW stalking types, but I hope not.

A Shimmering History Lesson

smashingasian
#17re: Oh those History Boys 8/26 review.
Posted: 8/27/06 at 1:40pm

Thanks mabel!

sarbear2
#18re: Oh those History Boys 8/26 review.
Posted: 8/27/06 at 3:35pm

You're so lucky you got to see the show! I saw it without Frances, Clive, and James, and it was absolutely PHENOMENAL with Maggie, Malcolm, and Alex, but it would've been nice to see it with the full original cast. I'm trying to arrange "another look at NYU before Early Decision time" in mid-September so I can go see the show again.

God is dead. Shit lives.

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#19re: Oh those History Boys 8/26 review.
Posted: 8/27/06 at 5:35pm

Along with Sarbear I too saw the replacement cast... *sigH* all that waiting...

Still they were brilliant! Desmond was an amazing Hector.

I think some of the laughter on Posner's line might be "awkward laughter". The line is quite an awkward line, if you think about it. Especially his delivery.

Just a thought...

Don't forget to watch the Trailer Asian!

Videos