News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

R.I.P. Bea Arthur dead at 86.- Page 3

R.I.P. Bea Arthur dead at 86.

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#50re: R.I.P. Bea Arthur dead at 86.
Posted: 4/26/09 at 12:59am

A couple of the best pieces from "The Golden Girls," in my opinion...

Dorothy believes she has burned down Sophia and Max's boardwalk pizza/knish stand by forgetting to put out her cigarette:

"Max, Ma, I have never felt so bad in my entire life. I don't know what to say!"
"It was an accident, ****cat. Don't worry about it."
"That's it? That's all you have to say?"
"Uh huh."
"Oh, ma, please yell at me. Please, scream at me! Please, make me feel guilty! I mean, if you don't say anything I'll feel twice as bad!!"
"I know. I'm not an amateur at this."

Also, one of Dorothy's best diatribes, a piece of early characterization from the pilot episode on Dorothy's bitterness:

"Rose, he (Stan) left me 38 years later! For a stewardess that he met on a business trip to Hawaii. It was her first flight. They said 'on arrival, give the passengers a leis,' she got confused...He got lucky and they now live on Maui. Oh, it's really wonderful - a 65 year-old man with GOUT learning to windsurf. (Looking off into the distance) I hope he trips on his thongs and falls into a volcano."

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#51re: R.I.P. Bea Arthur dead at 86.
Posted: 4/26/09 at 2:08am

Had there been any stories of late that she was in poor health?

I had seen her on THE VIEW with her Golden Girls co-stars and at that time she said her hearing was failing her, and in recent times she was starting to look aged and a bit more frail.... but I had no idea she was so gravely ill.

But what wonderful performances on TV taht we can always revisit. And enjoy teh cast albums of MAME and FIDDLER and her show BEA ARTHUR ON BROADWAY. (SO glad I bought a ticket to see the latter.)

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

WishingOnlyWounds2
#52re: R.I.P. Bea Arthur dead at 86.
Posted: 4/26/09 at 2:24am

May she R.I.P

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

mattonstage Profile Photo
mattonstage
#53re: R.I.P. Bea Arthur dead at 86.
Posted: 4/26/09 at 7:21am

A truly great actress, with the best comic timing ever. She will be sorely missed.

I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!

#54re: R.I.P. Bea Arthur dead at 86.
Posted: 4/26/09 at 8:20am

Heaven just got a little more golden...

I remember the last episode of The Golden Girls, when Dorothy is leaving, and she turns to the other girls and said something along the lines of the memories of them together are what she would "wrap herself in when the world was cruel." That's how I feel.

Bea is up in heaven now with some really amazing people, and their getting ready for her opening number. Knowing her-it will be a show stopper.

"Not now ma!"

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#55re: R.I.P. Bea Arthur dead at 86.
Posted: 4/26/09 at 9:14am

RIP Bea.

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

Ed_Mottershead
#56re: R.I.P. Bea Arthur dead at 86.
Posted: 4/26/09 at 9:51am

So sorry to hear that -- she brought tons of laughter to millions of people. RIP, Bea.

From my memory bank of long ago, in 1953 there was a production of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes at the old Lambertville Music Circus. The as-yet-unknown Bea (who went by her full name then -- Beatrice, not Bea) played Lorelie's best friend, Dorothy (the part played by Jane Russell in the movie). Needless to say, Bea stole the show from everyone in sight.

Bea continued to steal the show from everyone in sight ever since. Bea, we love you and miss you.

BroadwayEd

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#57re: R.I.P. Bea Arthur dead at 86.
Posted: 4/26/09 at 11:20am

Rest in Peace you funny, funny dame.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#58re: R.I.P. Bea Arthur dead at 86.
Posted: 4/26/09 at 11:22am

Saw her in 1996 in "Bermuda Avenue Triangle" at the Tiffany Theatre in West Hollywood, with Renee Taylor and Joe B. Never laughed so hard in my entire laugh! She was a genius!

esparza 333
#59re: R.I.P. Bea Arthur dead at 86.
Posted: 4/26/09 at 5:09pm

Rest in Peace. We will miss your talent deeply. I remember first seeing her with Angela Lansbury on the Broadways Lost Treasures.

Just turn your bosom buddy
For aid and affection,
For help and direction,
For loyalty, love and for sooth!
Remember that who else but a bosom buddy
Will sit down and level
And give you the devil,
Will sit down and tell you the truth!

Rest In Peace Bea Arthur and we will remember you as a bosom buddy.

Current Avatar:The sensational Aaron Tveit in the soon to be hit production of Catch Me If You Can.

BroadwayBelle2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBelle2
#60re: R.I.P. Bea Arthur dead at 86.
Posted: 4/26/09 at 6:56pm

I loved her in The Golden Girls, she will be missed. re: R.I.P. Bea Arthur dead at 86.

esparza 333
#61re: R.I.P. Bea Arthur dead at 86.
Posted: 4/26/09 at 8:10pm

One of my favorite clips ever.

Current Avatar:The sensational Aaron Tveit in the soon to be hit production of Catch Me If You Can.

The Boy From Ohio Profile Photo
The Boy From Ohio
#62re: R.I.P. Bea Arthur dead at 86.
Posted: 4/26/09 at 10:18pm

So sad! I had no ideal she was ill. RIP to my favorite Golden Girl. Is Maude on DVD? I need to check Netflix.

9/10 - Next To Normal, Ensemble Theatre
9/18 - Brian Stokes Mitchell, Cincy Pop's
9/28 - Death Of A Salesman, Wright State

BadIdeaBear
#63re: R.I.P. Bea Arthur dead at 86.
Posted: 4/27/09 at 6:35am

I often put on my voice to Bea Arthur's Dorothy character, she will always be remembered as one of the true fine ladies of American comedy.

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#64re: R.I.P. Bea Arthur dead at 86.
Posted: 4/27/09 at 7:13am

Celebrity deaths don't usually affect me. This one did. Bea Arthur was one of kind and will be missed.

hushpuppy Profile Photo
hushpuppy
#65re: R.I.P. Bea Arthur dead at 86.
Posted: 4/27/09 at 2:01pm

Thanks, nealb1. For two days I've been racking my brain trying to remember the name of the show BERMUDA AVENUE TRIANGLE. In the first scene, Bea Athur comes out looking every bit the frowzy matron. of course, as the romance with Joseph Bologna blooms, she becomes more attractive and more glamorous. I thought at the time how brave it was of her to go on stage at the top of the show looking so dowdy. And yes, it was an hysterical show.

'Our whole family shouts. It comes from us livin' so close to the railroad tracks'

zamedy
#66re: R.I.P. Bea Arthur dead at 86.
Posted: 4/27/09 at 2:36pm

From the final scene of The Golden Girls. How even more poignant now...

"Well"
"Well"
"Yeah"
"I guess this is it."
"Listen..."
"Dorothy you don't have to say anything."
"I mean what can you say about seven years of fights and laughter, secrets... cheesecake."

"Just that uh.. it's been very uh... well it's been an experience that I will always keep very close to my heart.. (Dorothy starts breaking down).. And that these are memories that I'll wrap myself in when the world gets cold and I forget that there are people who are warm and loving and..."

"We love you too."

"You will ALWAYS be a part of us!"

"Your friendship was something I never expected at this point in my life. And I could never have asked for a better surprise."

"That's how we feel too!"

"I have to go."

"Dorothy.. is this goodbye?"

[pause]

"I love you... always."
--------------------------------------------
We love you too, Bea. Rest in peace, ****cat.

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#67re: R.I.P. Bea Arthur dead at 86.
Posted: 4/27/09 at 5:52pm

I was just watching an episode, and I had to turn it off. Every time Bea opened her mouth, It left like I was getting punched in the gut.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

Videos