News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Tarzan Student Rush

Lester21
#0Tarzan Student Rush
Posted: 5/27/06 at 10:26am

Can someone please give me the scoop? What time do they actually start selling the tickets? And if I wanted to go this weekend, how early do you figure I'd have to get in line?
THANKS!

.LittleWing. 0224 Profile Photo
.LittleWing. 0224
#1re: Tarzan Student Rush
Posted: 5/27/06 at 10:43am

I know for the 8:00 show they start selling at 6:00, but people get in line about 4 or earlier. They're very strict about cash only and student ID is a must. So i'd say about 4 hours before a show start lining up (earlier if you want to be safe) and have a student ID and cash ready. good luck

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#2re: Tarzan Student Rush
Posted: 8/28/06 at 10:48pm

Can someone update the Tarzan rush situation? I kinda regret not standing in line yesterday (I wanted to see a show and was worried if I hung around Tarzan and didn't get tickets, I would miss out on getting something cheap from another show)...it looked like there were about 5 or 6 people, and at the most that would've been at least 10-12 tickets. And this was a little after 12 (and they start selling them at 1). How many tickets do they give out now, and are they still in front row? And do you still have to get there 4 or 5 hours in advance?

Also, this was on a Sunday when more people go, so I'm wondering if the student rush crowd has dwindled down.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

admanrich Profile Photo
admanrich
#3re: Tarzan Student Rush
Posted: 8/28/06 at 10:54pm

I went last weekend and got there around 12:15ish for the 2:00 show and got the last two seats. Horrible seats-- partial view row T in the orchestra, but third row center was completely unsold and so I moved down at intermission.

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#4re: Tarzan Student Rush
Posted: 8/28/06 at 11:24pm

Get there early so you can get front row seats. The seats in the back of the orchestra are terrible. Not worth the 20 bucks. You miss half the show. Some people end up sitting in the aisles so they can see better.

ETA They reserve front row for the Rush and sometimes give out whatever they have left at the student price. I got rush tickets on a Saturday early in August, arrived at 4pm for the 8pm show and there were 15 people already in line. I still got a ticket but was stuck with the last row in the orchestra. The person in front of me got third row on the side (also partial view but not nearly as obstructed as the rear orchestra seats).
Updated On: 8/28/06 at 11:24 PM

Me2 Profile Photo
Me2
#5re: Tarzan Student Rush
Posted: 8/28/06 at 11:41pm

I believe that they've stopped giving front row seats as rush and change it to only the last row of the orch...

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#6re: Tarzan Student Rush
Posted: 8/28/06 at 11:55pm

I went August 5th and they sold the front row as rush tickets. If they've changed their policy to back row of orchestra then I definitely won't be seeing the show again. Those seats are a joke!

millie_dillmount
#7re: Tarzan Student Rush
Posted: 8/29/06 at 12:04am

Okay I'm sorta glad I didn't rush it...the mezz overhang blocks the view?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#8re: Tarzan Student Rush
Posted: 8/29/06 at 12:19am

Yes! They put small TV screens along the overhanging mezzanine so the folks sitting under the mezzanine can "see" what they're missing. In several scenes those of us who had the misfortune of sitting under the overhang could hear actors singing or speaking but all we saw was an empty stage. It was very frustrating! Like I said before. Some people moved into the aisle to try to see something. The ushers didn't stop them.

broadwayguy2
#9re: Tarzan Student Rush
Posted: 8/29/06 at 12:28am

seats were moved as of about 2 weeks ago. I was LIVID as I had a specific performance JUST after it was changed that I needed to be at!

millie_dillmount
#10re: Tarzan Student Rush
Posted: 8/29/06 at 12:31am

That sucks about the TVs! Did they do that for Movin' Out too?

broadwayguy2
#11re: Tarzan Student Rush
Posted: 8/29/06 at 12:32am

Movin Out took place at stage level...... tarzan takes place about 15 feet up... past the view from under the overhang

millie_dillmount
#12re: Tarzan Student Rush
Posted: 8/29/06 at 2:09am

That's not fair...I've seen clips...how much of the show is actually on the stage?

Someday Profile Photo
Someday
#13re: Tarzan Student Rush
Posted: 9/2/06 at 10:28pm

Does anyone have an update from the past few days on seat locations for Tarzan student rush? If I were to be first in line tomorrow (Sunday), would I end up with great seats or in the back of the orchestra or mezzanine? Do they decide on a performance-by-performance basis which seats to give to the students, or is there a set location? Any info is appreciated.

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#14re: Tarzan Student Rush
Posted: 9/2/06 at 10:31pm

Yesterday, rush was in row U, V, and W.

Here_I_Go_Again
#15re: Tarzan Student Rush
Posted: 9/2/06 at 10:35pm

its soooooooo not worth seeing up there. you feel like your wathing a bad bootleg of the show. WRONG theatre put a show like that in. the producers were not thinging when they booked the theatre

LumBabsFan Profile Photo
LumBabsFan
#16re: Tarzan Student Rush
Posted: 9/2/06 at 10:51pm

My brother and I wound up going yesterday on student rush, first two in line. After the horror stories on here, I expected to leave at intermission in case we couldn't see anything.

As usual, I get my butt metaphorically kicked for doing so.

The seats aren't the best in the theater, no; I believe that would be the mezz. But they are certainly NOT as bad as what's been said. A lot of the main action DOES take place onstage. The high flying bits, however, yes some were cut off, but the people in these rows were taken into consideration. You DO get to see it, not just on the TVs. The TVs themselves actually helped when you needed them. Didn't even notice them unless we purposely looked there. We were too busy actually doing what we paid to do, and that was pay attention to the show.

And just my two cents, this IS a good show. Not a classic, and it won't run for years. But we enjoyed it very much, and recommend seeing it at least once.

The Official Peter Flynn Website www.peter-flynn.com Faith Kelter, LumBabsFan, Webmaster.

Someday Profile Photo
Someday
#17re: Tarzan Student Rush
Posted: 9/2/06 at 11:01pm

Thanks, guys.

I have some tourist friends in town, who have tickets for tomorrow, and I was planning to do student rush and join them. But I just don't think I can justify standing in line, then paying (even $20) to be in seats that make the show look like a "bad bootleg" -- or in seats that don't offer a full view of the proceedings.

Rush policies like this insult the very patrons the theatre industry should be trying to nurture -- students and the less fortunate. Rent may not be the perfect show, but I will always respect the high standard they set by offering first and second row seats for rush.

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#18re: Tarzan Student Rush
Posted: 9/3/06 at 12:03pm

Has the rush line calmed down a bit since the seats were moved?

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

#19re: Tarzan Student Rush
Posted: 9/3/06 at 3:57pm

yeah, a lot.

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#20re: Tarzan Student Rush
Posted: 9/3/06 at 3:59pm

The rush line hasn't necessarily calmed down, but they are a lot more seats in the back of the theater to offer.

#21re: Tarzan Student Rush
Posted: 9/3/06 at 4:04pm

well, what I meant and what I assume wrq meant is that people are showing up later. Ive seen it on days where there have only been 5 people at 4oclock and that was never the case when it was front row. im sure they sell out the rush tickets still, but I wouldnt feel the need to show up between two and three anymore.

millie_dillmount
#22re: Tarzan Student Rush
Posted: 9/3/06 at 5:21pm

"Rush policies like this insult the very patrons the theatre industry should be trying to nurture -- students and the less fortunate. Rent may not be the perfect show, but I will always respect the high standard they set by offering first and second row seats for rush."

Beggers can't be choosers. Although it would be nice to have front row for $20, you're lucky you're even getting your foot inside the theater for that price. I'm sure if I was spending $100+ on a show, I wouldn't want partial view seats at the rear of the orchestra. So they sell those seats at student rush price...$80-90 cheaper. It's better than not selling anything to the students.

Someday Profile Photo
Someday
#23re: Tarzan Student Rush
Posted: 9/3/06 at 5:56pm

I'm certainly not unaware of the "beggars can't be choosers" position on this issue. I just disagree with it philosophically.

While I am grateful that many shows offer reduced tickets, I also think that producers who do this are not only being socially conscious, but are also being pragmatic.

From a producer's point of view, reducing ticket prices for students or the general public is an opportunity to grow enthusiastic audience members for the future of theatre.

As much as Disney has invested in theatre, it seems like it would be a better business model in the long term for them to offer the best possible experience they can to young patrons who are demonstrating an interest in their shows... instead of putting them in restricted view seats and hoping they grow up to spend thousands bringing their families to future Disney shows.

Zachary Goldfarb
#24re: Tarzan Student Rush
Posted: 9/3/06 at 6:10pm

You are correct. The students interested in seeing Broadway shows are the future of the theatre. Any producer not interested in making the students happy is an absolute idiot.

Videos