News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

"Working" the musical

MisterRussell Profile Photo
MisterRussell
#25re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/13/06 at 12:03pm

I did this show in the late 1980's, with the original script. I played the Gas Meter reader, who, from the comments I'm reading here, seems to have been replaced by a UPS guy. Love the show! Saw a revival about three years ago with the revised script.

Meh.

husk_charmer
#26re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/13/06 at 12:46pm

I've been leary of the PBS video, since I know Lynne's not doing the cleaning woman.

We did the old script, and being a High School had to cut portions of the fireman's monologue, do some racial changes and delete the call girl.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#27re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/13/06 at 1:12pm

The graduating class of the NTC (National Theatre Conservatory) here in Denver is doing it as one of their final two shows this winter. It will be nice to see it onstage. I have only seen the PBS version. And that was years ago.

Just give the world Love.

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#28re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/13/06 at 1:18pm

We had Joe and the newsboy in Fathers and Sons as well! That was one of my all time favorite songs to perform.

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

broadwaybelle Profile Photo
broadwaybelle
#29re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/14/06 at 11:31am

I was in WORKING my sophomore year of high school and I had a blast! It's such a fun show!

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#30re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/14/06 at 11:38am

The PBS video is clunky (although Barbara Hershey is wonderful as the hooker). I do love much of the music in this show, however.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#31re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/14/06 at 6:11pm

It is better than having no recording of it

Poster Emeritus

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#32re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/14/06 at 6:42pm

I really like the show, but it's not without problems. No one seems to know how to play "Nobody Tells Me How." Filichia says the authors intended it to be funny, but everyone I've seen play it makes it pitiful. The Mason is a great song, but theatrically it sort of falls flat. The Millworker is really the best piece of writing in the whole show.

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#33re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/14/06 at 6:45pm

No one has mentioned the two best songs in the whole show...

Just a Housewife
and
If I Could Have Been....

I wish they would update the show again.

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

Jon
#34re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/14/06 at 7:26pm

I worked on a production in early 2002. obviously, 9/11/01 was still fresh in everyone's mind. The final monologue leading into "Something to Point To" - where the steel worker looks at the skyscraper and says that the names of everyone who helped build it should be engraved on the side - really had an impact.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#35re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/14/06 at 7:32pm

I also liked Fathers & Sons & It's An Art

Poster Emeritus

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#36re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/14/06 at 8:22pm

It's an Art....no THAT'S a fine a piece of songwriting, right there.

BNN
#37re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/14/06 at 9:38pm

Just a Housewife absolutely killed when we did the show, the girl that sang really did a terrific job, and it helped that our audience was mostly adults who had come out to see the show.

It seems that adults obiviously connect with the show alot more than kids do, but that's understandable.

Tick Tock

Videos