News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

talent show

BroadwayBaby3
#0talent show
Posted: 1/7/05 at 2:43pm

there is a school talent show happening coming up at my schoool soon, and i'm trying to find the perfect song. I am a soprano and i want to sing a ballad that will really grab the audience. kinda like i dreamed a dream type thing...ya know wat i mean lol
thanks!!!

Dextrous Existence
#1re: talent show
Posted: 1/7/05 at 2:45pm

I actually prefer "On My Own" better than "I Dreamed a Dream".

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#2re: talent show
Posted: 1/7/05 at 7:13pm

Oh honey, there are so many other songs in the world than "I dreamed a dream!" Besides, every other young singer will probably sing Les Mis or Wicked anyway, so go different!

Try "The Earth and other minor things" from Gigi, "Meadowlark" from The Bakers Wife, "Out of my Dreams" from Oklahoma, "Sweet Liberty" from Jane Eyre, "A New Life" from Jekyll and Hyde, "Times like this" from Lucky Stiff, "Hold On" from The Secret Garden... for starters:)

Hope this helps!

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#3re: talent show
Posted: 1/7/05 at 8:08pm

If you wanted to go with a crowdpleaser "Wishing You were Somehow Here Again" from Phantom would be popular with the movie out.
Unusual Way from "Nine" and "Meadowlark" from Baker's Wife are just gooooorgeous!

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#4re: talent show
Posted: 1/7/05 at 8:09pm

Someone Like You~Jekyll and Hyde

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

theatermom4
#5re: talent show
Posted: 1/7/05 at 8:43pm

Songs from Music Man, West Side Story, or "Think of Me" from Phantom are good for sopranos. Also, "Over the Rainbow" from the Wizard of Oz, and "Someone Like You" are good. I would recomend singing a song that the audience might know, because people like to hear songs that they know and like sung well. Also, songs with powerful/clever lyrics are nice. I'm sure that which ever song you choose you will do well. Break-A-Leg!

Sporti2005
#6re: talent show
Posted: 1/7/05 at 8:43pm

sticktopriest is right again. i also sang "a new life" at our variety show last year and it kicked. (but that's kinda more belty towards the end) ummm...let me think on this one..i'll post again in a minute

"grace, you're stuffed in a box getting rid of ass plaque. let's face it, this evening is a bust."

theatermom4
#7re: talent show
Posted: 1/8/05 at 2:18am

i'm not familiar with "a new life"...what is that from?

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#8re: talent show
Posted: 1/8/05 at 4:27am

Jekyll and Hyde

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

Videos