News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for JBSinger

Member Name: JBSinger
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Blog Address:
Profile: Musical theatre performer/enthusiast who recently left NYC for the sunny climes of Florida. Also a Music Director, teacher, voice teacher, choral arranger and orchestrator.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

FB petition for Stricth & Peters in ALMN - JOIN  Jul 12 2010, 11:59:18 AM
I wrote directly to Tommy Krasker of PS Classics suggesting they re-record "Send in the Clowns" and "Liaisons" with the existing orchestra tracks and make them available for digital download.
He wrote back and said they'd be talking about it with Nonesuch.
crossing fingers.

Sister Act to come to Broadway Spring 2011  Jul 8 2010, 12:00:48 PM
If the show is ready and a theatre available, hopefully we'll have 2 Menken tuners on Bway next season (Leap of Faith). And we get a movie score this November too: Disney's Tangled.
Menken-mania!

When It Ends: Remembering Eartha Kitt  Jul 8 2010, 09:04:25 AM
Agreed. I sat in the orchestra for Wild Party (with Betty Comden behind me no less) and she was stunning. The scenes that were being played in front couldn't pull my focus from Kitt hovering around the party like a ghost. She just had that magnetism. A great score and a memorable evening for me.
Roundabout's ANYTHING GOES Artwork  Jul 7 2010, 01:57:14 PM
not good at all.
Leaving At Intermission  Jul 7 2010, 11:39:53 AM
Only once. I left the American Stage (St. Petersburg FL Equity house) production of HAIR after Act 1. It got great reviews, but I failed to see how it lived up to them. It was done outdoors (which i thought I would like), but I had more problems with what was happening on stage (tempos, pacing, acting, arrangements). It was not to my liking.
Cut Songs Audio Recordings  Jul 6 2010, 10:11:09 AM
Well, Stephanie Block formally recorded "Making Good" which was replaced by "Wizard & I". It's on her solo Cd on PS Classics.

However, if you are interested in cut songs from past musicals, you should investigate the "Lost in Boston" series of CDs from Varese Sarabande. Cut songs, fully orchestrated, with Bway stars of the 1990's (mostly). There are some wonderful tracks and some terrific singing on these CDs.

TONY Awards Looking For A New Home For Next Year  Jun 17 2010, 11:51:56 AM
They need to be back on a Broadway stage. The Broadcasts and performances have lost all intimacy while on Radio City stage. Look at the old broadcasts and the performances seem so much closer. I vote for a Bway stage.
Songs about the 7 Deadly Sins  Jun 15 2010, 03:19:31 PM
I think that Audra concert is still on the NPR website.
All the songs were originals by various composers for the project. I thought it was really cool.

Michael Arden and Katherine Kingsley to Star in London Revival of ASPECTS OF LOVE  May 17 2010, 12:13:59 PM
I know that Arden can sing this score. Amazing voice.
Don't know her. Hope she can sing it too. Pretty demanding role with a wide range.

ghostwriting (was: How much of HELLO, DOLLY did Herman write?)  May 11 2010, 09:07:45 AM
"My White Knight" was undoubtably written by Willson. It actually is another of his counterpoint songs that didn't come to fruition in the play. It works side by side with "Sadder but Wiser Girl".
When we recorded the studio cast album with the Cincinnati Pops, they included this version of the songs on the disc (approved by the Willson estate, who did not let other cut songs be placed on the disc). Check it out. it's on the TELARC label from 1991.

2010-11 Season of musicals  Apr 16 2010, 12:39:49 PM
Leap of Faith has an out-of-town engagement in CA this Fall. If all goes well and there's a theatre available, I would see it move quickly.
Score is supposed to be great but it was running long in the workshops. Raul Esparza was still the lead last I heard.

2010-11 Season of musicals  Apr 16 2010, 08:54:26 AM
Next season is shaping up to be far more exciting than this one. I wonder what will actually make it in/find a theatre:

Hedwig & the Angry Inch
How to Succeed...
Book of Mormon
Paradise Found
Leap of Faith
Catch Me If You Can
Love Never Dies
Yank!
Spider-Man
Scottsboro Boys

I think Sister Act has been pushed to the 11-12 season.
What have I missed?

Daniel Radcliffe to Return to Broadway in HOW TO SUCCEED... Spring 2011  Apr 16 2010, 08:49:09 AM
I'm mostly wondering how this will affect Ashford's involvement with Alan Menken's new show, Leap of Faith which is trying out of town in Sept 2010, presumably with a Bway target that spring. Looks like Ashford will be doubly busy like O'Brien/Mitchell with Catch Me and Love Never Dies.

Pacific Overtures - Which Recording?  Apr 12 2010, 04:16:34 PM
OBC is best
National Opera recording, 2nd (very complete)
Revival, 3rd

Your thoughts about the A Little Night Music Revival Cast Recording  Apr 9 2010, 10:20:57 AM
Overall, I enjoyed the CDs quite a bit.
CZJ is a more earthy Desiree. I did hear some shades of "Velma" in "Glamorous Life" but not to ill effect.
Hanson - really pleasant voice. Nice interpretation. Some simliarities in delivery to David Tominlinson (of the film Mary Poppins). But touching and with great finesse.
Angela Lansbury - once I got past her character being a little more dotty than most portrayals, I thoroughly enjoyed her in every scene and song. Delicious!
Henrik

Frank Wildhorn's WONDERLAND...is worth the purchase?  Mar 30 2010, 11:46:49 AM
It's OK. I was hesitant, but I enjoyed it mostly.
You get no sense of story from the CD though. It's mostly songs that introduce a character and then we never hear them again. But the quality of the songs is above average for Wildhorn.

Sondheim Celebration on 3/16  Mar 16 2010, 10:47:47 AM
Could someone please post a song/performer list?
Glenn Slater's Lyrics in 'Love Never Dies'.  Mar 15 2010, 10:29:52 AM
There are a few lyrical clunkers in LOVE NEVER DIES, but mostly I think it's because ALW wants purple prose for his songs to float out of the show on. There is also very little opportunity for humor in LND, and humor is what Slater does best.

His lyrics for HOME ON THE RANGE are playful, descriptive, funny and touching.
SISTER ACT is a very solid score.
There are a couple cringe-worthy spots in LITTLE MERMAID (like the disappear into thin water noted above - gack). But mostly,

Love Never Dies cast recording  Mar 15 2010, 10:22:05 AM
Just finished listening to the entire score.
First let me say that it is gorgeously orchestrated and beautifully sung (especially by Ramin, Sierra, & the child).
There are several wonderful tunes and interesting melodies ("till I Hear her sing" has been running through my head for days). I do hear some echoes of Woman In White, and I thought the quotes from the original Phantom were effective and appropriate.

Christine needs better Act One material. she doesn't show up for a

Disney's next Broadway venture is....  Mar 3 2010, 11:14:48 AM
this just spells disaster.
how are they going to fill 64 minutes out to 2.5 hrs?
Disney, please drop this idea now and develop something cool.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You