News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Lin-Manuel Miranda

Member Name: Lin-Manuel Miranda
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Aug 7 2023, 11:35:19 AM

James Joyce's The Dead with Christopher Walken and Marni Nixon was an absolute gem of a show. Still waiting on that cast album, hope it exists in some form somewhere.

Lin to direct film adaptation of Tick Tick Boom
 Nov 19 2021, 02:57:06 PM

Robbie, you're right, we did choreograph and film GGD as a full number, but cut it for time and pacing. We'll see about maybe releasing it on social once everyone's had a chance to see the movie.

*Cameo spoilers below*

And thanks Alex, that day with all the composers and playwrights was our last day of principal photography, and very special indeed. Though pity Bradley Whitford, who got to play Sondheim in a room full of people like JRB who know him well. We really t

Lin to direct film adaptation of Tick Tick Boom
 Nov 17 2021, 11:55:53 AM

Oh, this thread warmed my heart this morning--the old posts, the "will he WRITE RAPS FOR IT" snark, the folks who went to see it in a theater, I'm so grateful, all of it. This movie is FOR YOU. Okay okay I'm leaving, carry on...

Putting It Together book by James Lapine
 Aug 9 2021, 04:28:50 PM

uncageg--I'd buy that trilogy. I do not read to think...

Aug 4 2021, 04:06:15 PM

joevitus--I came away with a totally different feeling from the book. On the contrary, I've never seen the writer of a musical be so frank about their beginner mistakes and foibles and disagreements with their collaborators. I mean, you've got Kelsey Grammer chewing out Lapine for not knowing the difference between upstage and downstage, Mandy Patinkin grabbing Sondheim by the shoulders in his dressing room and saying, "Write me anything. Anything! Even if it's a piece of ***

Aug 3 2021, 11:44:52 AM

...is available today, and whew, I loved it. So many stories I'd never heard before, particularly in those early wary days between Sondheim & Lapine, as they learned to collaborate. We've got copies at the Drama Book Shop, but get it wherever you can get it. If you're a fan of how musicals get made, it's kind of essential reading. Didn't see a thread about it yet, so here you go.

Theater People in Video Games
 Jul 13 2020, 12:13:15 PM

Hey, dropping by to add that Priscilla Lopez voices a madam in the original Red Dead Redemption and a nun in the zombie expansion pack. Or vice versa, it was a long time ago. Anyway, the RANGE! Carry on.

Easter Eggs in the Theatre District
 Feb 23 2020, 01:03:15 PM
One of our Heights cast wrote “In The Heights 2008” in the wet cement outside the Richard Rodgers stage door. It’s still there in the sidewalk.
Favorite Sondheim Score(or Scores?)
 Feb 17 2020, 01:25:06 PM

Sweeney Todd and Passion are my favorites, beginning to end.

Pacific Overtures, Anyone Can Whistle and Assassins are the ones I've never seen in a live production. Gotta work on that.

Can you cut through the Hotel Edison?
 Sep 1 2019, 03:56:50 AM

Yeeeeeeeeeees. Still miss the Edison diner so much but I’m so glad you can walk from 44th to 47th between avenues again.

Best understudy you've ever seen?
 May 13 2019, 11:03:17 AM

I saw Christopher Jackson go on as Simba in The Lion King when I was in college, about three years before I ever met him. He was pretty good.

I realized that I am more anxious to read a Whizzer review than any critic.
 Mar 27 2019, 10:27:39 AM

I love Whizzer’s reviews too, they’re honest and personal and comprehensive (and I know writers aren’t supposed to admit to reading reviews but we do). Yay, appreciation thread!

Is Hamilton one of the most demanding male roles to play?
 Jun 3 2018, 02:21:53 PM

First of all, I wake up changing diapers, and don't start rapping til after lunch.

I'll leave it to you all to debate where Hamilton goes in the all-time pantheon (Valjean and Frankie Valli are ROUGH, and I'd put Hedwig up at the top) but my two cents: You know the old line how Ginger Rogers does everything Astaire does, but backwards and in heels? That's Aaron Burr in this show. Burr's track is more physically demanding and Hamilton's is more vocally demanding

Brother and Sister in Musicals
 Nov 30 2014, 08:17:58 PM
During the Bway run of Heights, David Del Rio played Sonny while his sister Noemi was a dance swing. He had to pretend to hit on her during some of the musical transitions. Yay theater!
Guys & Dolls Concert & Screening in Washington Heights on Sunday
 Oct 9 2014, 05:14:34 PM
Hello message board folks.
This Sunday at 5pm, we're screening the film of Guys & Dolls up at the United Palace Theater, with a little concert beforehand.
Betsy Wolfe, Christopher Jackson, Eden Espinosa, Joshua Henry, Steven Pasquale are all singing selections from the score, and Alex Lacamoire is on keys.
To my knowledge, this is the only place on earth you can see all these talented folks for 10 bucks. I would hate for you to miss it.
Those of you who loathe MY singing, fear not: I'm just introducing the pros and getting out of the way :) The link is below if I did this right.
http://unitedpalace.org/events/521-guys-and-dolls-w-lin-manuel-miranda
See you there!

Can We Talk About How Brilliant Speech and Debate Was?
 May 7 2013, 09:08:33 AM
Co-sign. I love this play.
Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording
 Feb 12 2011, 12:24:42 AM
Sorry, had to jump in on this thread. There's a Spanish-language JCS recording I found in a bargain bin in Puerto Rico, starring Camilo Sesto. If you don't mind your JCS in Spanish (and the translation's pretty good), the synth and guitar sounds are the craziest I've ever heard. In fact, youtube has an audio of it, dubbed on top of the movie. Listen to the synths at the top of Simon Zealotes! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TFPhFkss9k
Someone oughta open up a window
 Nov 21 2010, 09:54:29 AM
We're not safe until he's dead. He'll come stalking us at night. Set to sacrifice our children to his monstrous appetite.
What's the pre show announcement for In the Heights?
 Nov 5 2010, 04:58:32 PM
Sup, y'all. Dancingthrulife got the text of the pre-show announcement exactly right, and earns bonus points for memorization. The pre-show announcement has never been a rap (which would take away from the opening number), so I'm curious about those of you who claim to have heard one on tour. Do I need to make some phone calls to regional theaters? I mean, Heights/DeVICES? Y'all making me nervous.

And "A la buena o a la mala" IS something my Abuela says, all the time. I most often heard

Flash mob to '96,000' surprises Lin-Manuel Miranda at Universal City Walk
 Jun 27 2010, 12:34:37 AM
IT WAS F*CKING CRAZY, Y'ALL.

I have a video from my crappy Kodak Easyshare perspective, but it doesn't really do it justice. To see old ladies and little kids build into 300 people, doing a dance to a song you wrote. Can't wait for the edited video to emerge.

I was there for a "press event," having dinner with some fans as part of some sweepstakes. I was totally surprised. Thanks to the Pantages and Flash Mob USA, and all of y'all who learned all that. Aight. Gotta go do Act Tw

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You