Brother and Sister in Musicals

Curious3
#1Brother and Sister in Musicals
Posted: 11/30/14 at 9:58am

There are many examples of a brother and sister, or a husband and a wife starring together in a musical. But are there any examples of a brother starring in a musical at the same time and in the same city as his sister who is starring in a different musical. Well, this is the case of Meghan Fairchild who is starring in "On the Town" and her brother Robert who is starring in "An American in Paris" (currently playing at the Chatelet in Paris) but will be arriving on Broadway in April. To add to this, his wife Tiler Peck is currently starring in "Little Dancer"at the Kennedy Center. Any thoughts?

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#2Brother and Sister in Musicals
Posted: 11/30/14 at 10:03am

There's Jessie Mueller currently starring in Beautiful and her sister, Abby currently swinging in Kinky Boots.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#2Brother and Sister in Musicals
Posted: 11/30/14 at 10:07am

Sutton and Hunter Foster, circa 2004, in Thoroughly Modern Millie, and Little Shop of Horrors respectively. Probably other overlaps too.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$
Updated On: 11/30/14 at 10:07 AM

promisespromises2 Profile Photo
promisespromises2
#3Brother and Sister in Musicals
Posted: 11/30/14 at 10:20am

Wasn't Robert LuPone playing in A Chorus Line while Patti LuPone was playing in Evita?

Hairspray0901
#4Brother and Sister in Musicals
Posted: 11/30/14 at 12:49pm

In 2012, Andrew Keenan-Bolger was in Newsies while Celia Keenan-Bolger was in Peter & The Starcatcher (well, technically that one was a play).

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#5Brother and Sister in Musicals
Posted: 11/30/14 at 1:02pm

I don't think Robert LuPone was still in A Chorus Line during Evita, but he WAS in it while Patti was doing several shows (including The Robber Bridegroom) with The Acting Company. They were both nominated for Tonys for those shows in 1976. I believe they are still the only brother and sister to be nominated in the same year.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#6Brother and Sister in Musicals
Posted: 11/30/14 at 1:03pm

Dick and Joyce Van Patten played husband and wife in Show Boat.

promisespromises2 Profile Photo
promisespromises2
#7Brother and Sister in Musicals
Posted: 11/30/14 at 1:29pm

Thanks theatreguy! I just remember in her Les Mouches album her saying something about Robert being in A Chorus Line. I couldn't remember if she said "is in" or "was in". (:

nasty_khakis
#8Brother and Sister in Musicals
Posted: 11/30/14 at 1:38pm

Sutton and Hunter Foster were also in Grease at the same time. She had it in her contract that he could never go on for Danny when she was playing Sandy.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#9Brother and Sister in Musicals
Posted: 11/30/14 at 1:46pm

Fred and Adele Astaire frequently appeared in musicals together (Lady Be Good, Funny Face), but those were the same musicals.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#10Brother and Sister in Musicals
Posted: 11/30/14 at 2:00pm

Sutton and Hunter were also in Les Miz together, but only overlapped by a few days.

I'm sure Cameron and Graham Bowen were in different shows at the same time at least once.

Rob and Rebecca Pitcher have played Raoul and Christine, but NOT in the same production! :)

Lalaine and Cristina Paras were Young Cosette and Kim around the same time, but not sure if it was concurrent.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Updated On: 11/30/14 at 02:00 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#11Brother and Sister in Musicals
Posted: 11/30/14 at 2:09pm

Hunter Foster was in Bridges of Madison County while Sutton Foster was starring in Violet.

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#12Brother and Sister in Musicals
Posted: 11/30/14 at 2:51pm

I believe Sutton and Hunter were both in the same National Tour of Grease at the same time. I remember her telling a story in a interview that she was playing Sandy and her brother was the understudy for Danny and the producers asked if she would be comfortable if he had to go on one day.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#13Brother and Sister in Musicals
Posted: 11/30/14 at 5:55pm

"Sutton and Hunter Foster, circa 2004, in Thoroughly Modern Millie, and Little Shop of Horrors respectively. Probably other overlaps too."

Sutton was also in Drowsy Chaperone while Hunter had a stint in the Producers.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

vitamins
#14Brother and Sister in Musicals
Posted: 11/30/14 at 6:12pm

Charlotte and Christopher d'Amboise did a rather sexy pas de deux in Song and Dance, and many people thought they were married rather than brother and sister.

ChairinMain Profile Photo
ChairinMain
#15Brother and Sister in Musicals
Posted: 11/30/14 at 8:10pm

When Beautiful was trying out at the Curran Theater in San Francisco, Abby Mueller (as discussed above, Jessie's Sister) was playing Abigail Adams in 1776 at the Gerry Theater next door.

Lin-Manuel Miranda
#16Brother and Sister in Musicals
Posted: 11/30/14 at 8:17pm

During the Bway run of Heights, David Del Rio played Sonny while his sister Noemi was a dance swing. He had to pretend to hit on her during some of the musical transitions. Yay theater!

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#17Brother and Sister in Musicals
Posted: 11/30/14 at 10:47pm

Jake Gyllenhaal in CONSTELLATIONS will be entering previews at MTC with about two weeks before Maggie and THE REAL THING wrap up at Roundabout.

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

Videos