pixeltracker

Putting It Together book by James Lapine

Putting It Together book by James Lapine

Lin-Manuel Miranda
#1Putting It Together book by James Lapine
Posted: 8/3/21 at 11:44am

...is available today, and whew, I loved it. So many stories I'd never heard before, particularly in those early wary days between Sondheim & Lapine, as they learned to collaborate. We've got copies at the Drama Book Shop, but get it wherever you can get it. If you're a fan of how musicals get made, it's kind of essential reading. Didn't see a thread about it yet, so here you go.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#2Putting It Together book by James Lapine
Posted: 8/3/21 at 12:08pm

Seconded. I got my copy last weekend. It’s at times brutally honest, and always perceptive, quite funny and moving. Ranks with EVERYTHING WAS POSSIBLE and THE SEASON— and Sondheim’s own Hat books. 

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#3Putting It Together book by James Lapine
Posted: 8/3/21 at 8:45pm

jv92 said: "Ranks with EVERYTHING WAS POSSIBLE and THE SEASON— and Sondheim’s own Hat books."

This is some very high praise, and it's making me even more excited to get my hands on a copy! Looks like I'll need to get myself to the Drama Book Shop sometime soon.

¿Macavity?
#4Putting It Together book by James Lapine
Posted: 8/3/21 at 9:01pm

Ahhhh! I've been trying to order it, but the hard copy isn't available in the UK until September 14! I could get it on Audible, but I really want those pictures! Oh well, what's a little more anticipation? So tickled by the reports!

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#6Putting It Together book by James Lapine
Posted: 8/4/21 at 10:33am

I bought my copy yesterday at 10am. Finished cover to cover by 11pm. Just a dazzling document of how many perfect choices had to happen in a row for that brilliant show to come into being. Only criticism of the book: the inferior printing of most photos and design sketches. A book this juicy deserves better quality there, particularly with the reprinting of SS’s lyric work sheets. That aside, total raves from me.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#7Putting It Together book by James Lapine
Posted: 8/4/21 at 10:47am

I am picking up my copy at Barnes and Noble on the way home from work today! I can't wait!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#8Putting It Together book by James Lapine
Posted: 8/4/21 at 10:59am

A fantastic read – I'd love to read something similar about Passion or Into the Woods.

StylishCynic
#9Putting It Together book by James Lapine
Posted: 8/4/21 at 11:07am

I, too, read the book in one sitting on Monday night. I came away somewhat disappointed. The interview style didn't suite me. I was hoping that Lapine would weave in the individual anecdotes to a collective narrative. My expectation wasn't that it would be as thorough as Everything Was Possible, but I wanted something more than a transcript of interviews in chronological order. 

I'm especially disappointed that Lapine didn't cover off on the recording session or the filming of the OBC for American Playhouse (via PBS). That would have been such a wealth of information!

For those who haven't purchased, Premier Collectibles is selling autographed copies by Mr. Lapine ($40). If it's your first order through them, you can get 10% off your purchase by signing up with your email. 

https://premierecollectibles.com/Sunday/

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#10Putting It Together book by James Lapine
Posted: 8/4/21 at 11:47am

Ugh...have to wait for the Strand to send it out!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#11Putting It Together book by James Lapine
Posted: 8/4/21 at 11:50am

StylishCynic said: "I, too, read the book in one sitting on Monday night. I came away somewhat disappointed. The interview style didn't suite me. I was hoping that Lapine would weave in the individual anecdotes to a collective narrative. My expectation wasn't that it would beas thorough as Everything Was Possible, but I wanted something more than a transcript of interviews in chronological order.

I'm especially disappointed that Lapine didn't cover off on the recording session or the filming of the OBC for American Playhouse (via PBS). That would have been such a wealth of information!

For those who haven't purchased, Premier Collectibles is selling autographed copies by Mr. Lapine ($40). If it's your first order through them, you can get 10% off your purchase by signing up with your email.

"

Thank you! Just ordered it. So excited. 

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#12Putting It Together book by James Lapine
Posted: 8/4/21 at 12:18pm

StylishCynic said: "I, too, read the book in one sitting on Monday night. I came away somewhat disappointed. The interview style didn't suite me. I was hoping that Lapine would weave in the individual anecdotes to a collective narrative. My expectation wasn't that it would beas thorough as Everything Was Possible, but I wanted something more than a transcript of interviews in chronological order.

"

Only skimmed on Amazon, but had the same response.

"Remember when we did that wonderful thing?"

"Yeah, that was a wonderful thing we did!"

"And you were great to work with!"

"You, too!" 

I mean, I'm glad they had a good experience, but I don't feel like I'm getting a very insightful or deep look into the process of constructing the show.

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#13Putting It Together book by James Lapine
Posted: 8/4/21 at 2:16pm

It is a little self-celebratory at times, and it does not really give you the depth of insight of "When Everything Was Possible". And I wish they had discussed what happened after opening night, it ran for almost two years and I would have been interested in reading about replacements, filming, etc. And it's a pity they didn't interview Victoria Clark or Mary Ann Plunkett. Still, it's a hugely enjoyable read and cannot be missed if you're a Sondheim fan.

Lin-Manuel Miranda
#14Putting It Together book by James Lapine
Posted: 8/4/21 at 4:06pm

joevitus--I came away with a totally different feeling from the book. On the contrary, I've never seen the writer of a musical be so frank about their beginner mistakes and foibles and disagreements with their collaborators. I mean, you've got Kelsey Grammer chewing out Lapine for not knowing the difference between upstage and downstage, Mandy Patinkin grabbing Sondheim by the shoulders in his dressing room and saying, "Write me anything. Anything! Even if it's a piece of ****. We don't care. Give us something!" They're certainly proud of what they made all these years later, but I was grateful to feel the many bumps along the road in the writing. I learned a lot about putting it together.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#15Putting It Together book by James Lapine
Posted: 8/4/21 at 4:18pm

^note, it doesn't seem joevitus actually read the book, but skimmed the sample on amazon.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Someone in a Tree2
#16Putting It Together book by James Lapine
Posted: 8/4/21 at 4:25pm

"Remember when we did that wonderful thing?"
"You, too!" 

Yeah, no. The book is nothing like the caricature above. Nearly every conversation Lapine conducts zeroes in on all the grave mistakes he made (particularly as a newbie director) in the face of much more experienced producers, cast-mates, designers, et al. The story told makes it all the more miraculous that such a profound work was the product of that panic-filled process. (Apologies for the inadvertent alliteration.)

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#17Putting It Together book by James Lapine
Posted: 8/4/21 at 4:54pm

It also delves into the contract negotiations, Peter Stone’s inability to understand the shifting NY theatre landscape as DG President, a threat of a fairly frivolous lawsuit from Ed Kleban, the continued demented wrath of Dorothy Rodgers ever after Dick’s death,  the wonders of marijuana, and a lot of stuff not discussed before in print— and not all self-congratulatory, either. 

Some of the stuff is— yes, this is hyperbolic— harrowing. And not just Mandy’s antics, which Lin mentioned. Frankly, those anecdotes didn’t surprise me much. Mandy (and Lapine and SS) have been pretty open about the difficult moments he caused. 

If you skim the Amazon preview and don’t read the whole thing, I think you’re missing out quite a bit. 

Updated On: 8/4/21 at 04:54 PM

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#18Putting It Together book by James Lapine
Posted: 8/4/21 at 5:39pm

Someone in a Tree2 said: ""Remember when we did that wonderful thing?"
"You, too!"

Yeah, no. The book is nothing like the caricature above. Nearly every conversation Lapine conducts zeroes in on all the grave mistakes he made (particularly as a newbie director) in the face of much more experienced producers, cast-mates, designers, et al.The story told makes it all the more miraculous that such a profound work was the productof that panic-filled process. (Apologies for the inadvertent alliteration.)
"

This is the section on Amazon, as I said, and Dramamama kindly reminds folks, that's all I have access to. On the basis of it, I felt no need to purchase. 

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#19Putting It Together book by James Lapine
Posted: 8/4/21 at 6:25pm

joevitus said: "Someone in a Tree2 said: ""Remember when we did that wonderful thing?"
"You, too!"

Yeah, no. The book is nothing like the caricature above. Nearly every conversation Lapine conducts zeroes in on all the grave mistakes he made (particularly as a newbie director) in the face of much more experienced producers, cast-mates, designers, et al.The story told makes it all the more miraculous that such a profound work was the productof that panic-filled process. (Apologies for the inadvertent alliteration.)
"

This is the section on Amazon, as I said, and Dramamama kindly reminds folks, that's all I have access to. On the basis of it, I felt no need to purchase.
"

Well aren’t you a pocket full of sunshine? 

/sarcasm

binau Profile Photo
binau
#20Putting It Together book by James Lapine
Posted: 8/5/21 at 3:37pm

I’m only part way through but it’s everything I could have ever wished for. While reading you can easily imagine this being a documentary or TV series or film. I just love it. I think one thing the book keeps emphasising that is hard to understand nearly 40 years later in hindsight is just how unusual, young and inexperienced James Lapine was at the time. And Sondheim chose to work with him? It’s just such a great story.

One random small comment I am surprised at the few times Sondheim has referred to Arthur Laurents even now and in this context. My understanding is that they had a turbulent relationship, but clearly he seemed to be a major part of Sondheim’s career (and maybe life). I would love to understand the extent of their relationship.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#21Putting It Together book by James Lapine
Posted: 8/5/21 at 3:56pm

binau said: "I’m only part way through but it’s everything I could have ever wished for. While reading you can easily imagine this being a documentary or TV series or film. I just love it. I think one thing the book keeps emphasising that is hard to understand nearly 40 years later in hindsight is just how unusual, young and inexperienced James Lapine was at the time. And Sondheim chose to work with him? It’s just such a great story.

One random small comment I am surprised at the few times Sondheim has referred to Arthur Laurents even now and in this context. My understanding is that they had a turbulent relationship, but clearly he seemed to be a major part of Sondheim’s career (and maybe life). I would love to understand the extent of their relationship.
"

I can't remember the guy's name who was a pretty boy in the 50's and wrote a memoir about being a kept man at the time. But he has a great anecdote about being drunk at a party on Fire Island and saying "Stephen Sondheim saved West Side Story!" A man behind him said "No, Arthur Laurents saved West Side Story" and the guy turns on him, asking "How do you know?" The man says "Because I'm Stephen Sondheim." 

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#22Putting It Together book by James Lapine
Posted: 8/5/21 at 5:27pm

I've heard that story, too, but I think it took place at a cocktail party in Manhattan-- at least the version I know. And I think I agree with Sondheim! (Although what holds up best for me in WEST SIDE is Jerry Robbins' work, and when it's not there, the show doesn't really hold up at all.) 

I've come to the conclusion that the Arthur-Steve relationship is akin to the Michael-Harold relationship in BOYS IN THE BAND, but with even more baggage and wounds because of the scars and wounds of working together. Arthur was particularly ungenerous about the shows Sondheim did without him (with the possible exception of SWEENEY TODD), and openly so. I think the dishing in print is what soured the relationship.

It doesn't surprise me that he went to see it and Playwrights, then went out for dinner with Sondheim and shat all over the show. I'm sure that was a fun night at Joe Allen's. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#23Putting It Together book by James Lapine
Posted: 8/6/21 at 6:46am

I also can’t help but wonder how active Arthur Laurents might have been in bad mouthing Sunday/campaigning for La Cage to win all the Tonys that year haha (not sure if they talk about the Tonys yet).

Interestingly in the book there is a conversation between Starobin and Lapine about the challenges of a French horn playing some of those high notes and how often people would crack on those notes, with Lapine saying he ‘held his breath at the end of every show when a sub was on’ - takes me back to the most recent revival where the player did actually miss the note at the end of the final performance!

I just wish we had a book like this for every show Putting It Together book by James Lapine

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 8/6/21 at 06:46 AM

Someone in a Tree2
#24Putting It Together book by James Lapine
Posted: 8/6/21 at 10:24am

I have a little story regarding Arthur Laurents' interest in SUNDAY vs LA CAGE. It was late April 1984 and I was on the team prepping the sets to go out for the 1st National Tour of LA CAGE in a few weeks, so was often at rehearsals at 890 Broadway with Arthur and Fritz Holt our peerless stage manager (famous for his work on FOLLIES a decade before). The subject of Steve's new show was often a topic of conversation.

I saw a preview performance of SUNDAY one evening and stopped in after at Fritz Holt's apartment in the West Village near my own. Fritz immediately rang up Arthur on the phone so I could tell them both what I thought of the preview. And remember the final two songs, "Children and Art" and "Lesson #8" had yet to be inserted into Act II. So I told Arthur things I knew he'd want to hear: Act II didn't make sense and the show was incredibly precious and rarefied. He was satisfied with that report, confirming it would in no way cut in to LA CAGE's audience or chances at the Tonys later that summer. After we hung up, I confessed to Fritz how beautiful large passages were and how brilliant the end of Act I was. Had i reported that to Arthur, I would have been in for serious abuse from him for weeks to come. I think Arthur deep down was insanely jealous of the career Sondheim got to have long after their own collaborations were past.

Fritz was one of a kind-- anyone who knew him misses him to this day.

Updated On: 8/6/21 at 10:24 AM

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#25Putting It Together book by James Lapine
Posted: 8/6/21 at 11:38am

Jerry, Lenny and Steve reached a level of artistic immortality that Arthur never would. He was a journeyman and a craftsman— an excellent one— but not on the level of the others. Therein lies the problem. And Steve really did it without him, although I don’t think for a minute he’d express anything but gratitude for the opportunity and council he gave him early on. 

True genius shows generosity. 

Videos