News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for ccbway

Member Name: ccbway
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread  Jan 7 2023, 05:45:15 PM

EDSOSLO858 said: "The concert version will also go on tonight, with Jackson as Usher!"

Will I have any idea what's going on if I've never seen the show before?

Camp Siegfried  Oct 27 2022, 02:36:02 PM

jbm2 said: "BoringBoredBoard40 said: "just started last night, I will be there Sunday

-J
"

Same!
Curious if anyone caught last nights preview
"

I saw last night's first preview, and I enjoyed the production - it was a crisp 90 minute, no intermission play, held completely by the two young leads, making their stage debuts.  I thought that male lead was very good, and the female lead gave an interesting,

Rush Tix via Today Tix  Apr 2 2022, 10:11:16 PM

bstoll1 said: "How was the standby in Suffs and for those who got rush tickets did you get 1 or 2?"

I didn't see any standby, but there were a couple of empty seats in the last row, so maybe there might be, I don't know how the Public handles it.  I got my ticket (1) via the mobile rush.

Shaina Taub's SUFFS at the Public to feature Phillipa Soo, Nikki M. James, Jenn Colella, Grace McLean, Taub, and more  Apr 2 2022, 03:07:43 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "HenryTDobson said: "What are we predicting the critics will say about this one? The reviews here seem to be mostly positive, but not as glowing as I would have thought."

It would be interesting to know if any gender bias is coming into play on this board.

I would predict reviews that are positive-with-a-few-reservations from critics (and bonus points for its ambitiousness and the way it interrogates its own chara

Shaina Taub's SUFFS at the Public to feature Phillipa Soo, Nikki M. James, Jenn Colella, Grace McLean, Taub, and more  Apr 1 2022, 06:53:39 PM

Just here to echo some of the opinions after seeing the show last night - I think I agree almost identically with chrishuyen, here are my main thoughts:

• Act 1 is too long, it felt like there were natural ending points multiple times but it just kept going and going.
  • I understand wanting to do a sung through musical, but I felt like a lot of the songs in Act 1 were just sung dialogue. If the goal is to create a musical, it should have musical numbers in it, not just a play w
Rush Tix via Today Tix  Apr 1 2022, 06:38:23 PM

FWIW, I did win the TodayTix rush for Suffs yesterday after more than a week of trying. It's definitely fastest finger and I think I just got lucky. I guess keep trying.

Caroline, or Change rush tickets  Oct 23 2021, 11:24:23 PM

Honestly, I sat in the rear mezzanine and thought the views were fine.  You can take a look here: https://aviewfrommyseat.com/venue/Studio+54/

There are a bunch of photos of others who also sat in the rear mezz seats, I thought they were perfectly reasonable.

Selecting one seat only for online lotteries?  Oct 21 2021, 03:16:53 AM

Mathematically, it should marginally increase your chances, if anything - but anecdotally I've noticed the same thing that it seems like rarely win when entering for one.  I'm sure that's just confirmation bias or something.

Thoughts on Rush Lines Returning?  May 20 2021, 01:10:11 AM
HogansHero said: "I don't know. I would assume that SRO will continue to be a thing but I also think that all of these things people have traditionally gone to the box office for (rush, SRO, comps, etc.) will be managed online (much in the nature of how lotteries have evolved for the ones that have an element of selectivityinvolved). Also, typically there is no SRO during previews because the creatives and producers like to retain access to that space and I think thi
100 Days to IN THE HEIGHTS!  Mar 23 2020, 09:02:12 AM

n2nbaby said:
This info is incorrect. The new Trolls movie will now be streaming the day of what was supposed to be it’s release. The Invisible Man, The Hunt, Emma, The Way Back, Bloodshot and more were all streaming just a few weeks from their original release dates. Onward will be on Disney+ next week. It’s uncharted territory and many movies are going to streaming and have been talked about going the VOD route."

All of those movies (with the except

100 Days to IN THE HEIGHTS!  Mar 22 2020, 10:56:11 PM

sabrelady said: "It will probably be released on a streaming platform as I have NO belief that this situation will be done by June.

So keep looking forward but realistically.
"

I think it's ridiculous that people keep bringing up this idea of movies straight to streaming as a viable idea.  If a studio has any hope that the movie will do even remotely well, there is no reason for them to do so.  They will be losing literally tens to hundred

HERCULES to Play the Public Theatre this summer!!  Feb 26 2020, 12:21:47 PM

JBroadway said: "https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/BWW-Exclusive-Thomas-Schumacher-Reveals-Next-Steps-for-HERCULES-AIDA-More-20200226

Bumping this thread because of Thomas Schumacher's recent comment on Hercules.

There are no plans to bring the property to Broadway, and instead they will go the licensing route - just as many people on this board correctly assumed.
"

It's hard to say because of the way the article is written and the interjection of the line about Princess Bride and Hercules - but isn't this quote still referencing Aida?

If you were to rank these shows......  Jan 9 2020, 11:08:21 PM

IHeartNY2 said: "I too had a conversation with a friend about Moulin Rouge the other day and ultimately what we landed on was thatMoulin Rouge is a musical made for people who just want a fun and entertaining evening at the theater, and not for the regular (and pretentious) theatergoers who think their tastes are better than everyone else's."

Sure go for personal attacks, that seems like cool thing to do. frownLook, it's an opinion, agree or not, defend the show or not.  I don't think it has anything to do with pretentiousness - I thoroughly enjoyed both Mean Girls and Beetlejuice - neither of which were critical darlings, but both were "fun and entertaining" IMO.  I personally loved Be More Chill - which most of what I assume you would call "pretentious theatergoers" absolutely loathed. To me, Moulin Rouge was a muddled, clumsy, medley-driven musical mess.  I wanted to like it, was excited to see it, liked the movie/source material, and was thrilled with the casting when it was announced.  And then I saw it and I was disappointed, mostly by the music and surprisingly by the lack of chemistry between the leads.  I wouldn't have cared that it was jukebox musical if it had been executed in a way that I thought was done well vs just cutting lines from 5 different 90s songs and pasting them together to create musical dialogue.  I thought it was visually stunning, but to me that only gets you so far.

Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist  Jan 9 2020, 05:01:49 PM

Personally, I agree about the singing being subpar.  For a show centered around musical numbers, I found most of them to be pretty disappointing, maybe Skylar Astin was the only one with a passable performance.  I thought Peter Gallagher's singing was...not great.  There is potential for this to be an entertaining show - but I hope they do something to improve the musical numbers.  It almost sounded to me like they were opting for "realism" when it comes to t

If you were to rank these shows......  Jan 9 2020, 04:56:03 PM

1) Hadestown
2) Mean Girls
3) Beetlejuice
4) Moulin Rouge
5) Frozen
6) Tina

I've seen all of the shows on your list and I think what is interesting that my list is almost the reverse of your guess.  I think that it depends on what your definition of "entertaining" ultimately is.  You will probably find that a l;ot of people will rank Moulin Rouge pretty low on this list - unless you somehow equate spectacle with entertainment. 

SING STREET Will Transfer To Broadway  Jan 8 2020, 11:19:10 AM

theatregoer3 said: "AADA81 said: "I have to say, I'm tired of the "overly-enthusiastic-youngsters-rockin-out-and-shouting-lyrics-from-the-lip-of-the-stage" genre. It seems like every other month there's a new one, and it's a tiresome trope at this point."

Well said. I wish this show the best, but I've yet to hear a positive review or something that would lead me to believe it would be worth seeing.

&q

Walk up rush/SRO shows  Dec 25 2019, 09:40:47 PM

Yeah, probably none of those.

Favorite Flop?  Nov 22 2019, 08:26:12 PM
Can't believe I'm the only person to say - Groundhog Day.
I loved it. It was hilarious, the staging was very cool, the music was great, and Andy Karl was terrific. I still don't understand how it flopped, tbh.

We Will Rock You Tour  Nov 17 2019, 11:00:23 AM
AntV said: "Anyone see this here in NY? I'm thinking of skipping it based on reviews here and online. I loved Bat out of Hell but this looks like it doesn't compare at all. Is the running time 2:45?"

I saw this last night and I thought it actually WAS Bat Out of Hell just with Queen music. Honestly, it's almost exactly the same "story" as it were (although possibly slightly more coherent.) The lead actually has an amazing voice, and the production i

Freestyle Love Supreme Cameos  Nov 3 2019, 12:28:16 PM
ACL2006 said: "Has Watybe Brady been in the show yet? He wrapped up Let's Make A Deal early October then toured immediately after. Would like to see the show with him in it."

Yes, he has been. A friend went a week or so ago, and Wayne Brady made a guest appearance.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You