News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Gizmo6

Member Name: Gizmo6
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Young Frankenstein Live  Jan 8 2020, 05:02:07 PM
I loved the OBC Recording for years but by the time I got to see this in London the comedy felt very dated.

Don’t get me wrong I love old UK sitcoms like Are you being Served, Hi De Hi or Gimme Gimme but something about the treatment of the female characters felt wrong.

Then given these LIVE recordings are usually aimed at families I don’t know how they’ll do it bar cutting a lot of the bluer material.

Either way I love the big numbers so I’ll be interested in heari

“The Nanny” Musical  Jan 8 2020, 04:56:16 PM
This will get me back across the Atlantic.

Though I agree the role is Fran it’ll be difficult to cast.

Sylvia and Yetta need show stopping numbers.

Perhaps they could make it meta and have the original cast with Mr Sheffield producing a musical of the family and all the shenanigans that ensue.

Error on Les Miz Video?  Dec 6 2019, 07:08:46 AM

ukpuppetboy said: "If it was their Children in Need charity performance (in Les
One Day More - (2019 London Concert Cast)
"

I love how Michael Ball is about to come in as Marius for the last section. He grabs the mike and stops. 

Tootsie Is Closing  Nov 14 2019, 07:57:04 AM

cryan71 said: "Gizmo6 said: "springwillcome said: "First,I somehow missed RexInLights comment on this thread, which was posted before mine - they said most of what I wanted to and more concisely, so I do apologize for being redundant. But I will reply to those of you who responded below:

Get some good sleep, perhaps tomorrow your middle school will teach you about paragraphs, run on sentences, and.....

I’m 21, not 12, and if you can’t come up with a cohesive response other than mockery, then I have nothing to say to you (except Ok Boomer). Just because I don’t feel the need to write you a formal essay on social media / am younger doesn’t mean you’re inherently better. Get over yourself.

Can you explain what was transphobic about the show? Thank you.

Hi! The issue lies mainly in the man-in-a-dress trope, and the thread I linked earlier explains how that contributes to misogyny / trans misogyny quite well. I’ll also link the aforementioned review, written by a trans person, as I feel that’s better than me (as a cis person) explaining it. The use of "Being A Woman Is No Job For A Man" tagline in and outside the show is particularly noteworthy as that is word-for-word rhetoric that is frequently used against trans women. Article:https://www.americantheatre.org/2019/05/07/the-gender-problem-tootsie-cant-dress-up/

"Mocking"? What comments were mocking those people?

"How long before the little nobody who wrote that ridiculous article about Tootsie being transphobic takes credit for this?", "Do they even buy tickets to shows, or do they just watch bootlegs?", and other comments in this thread that were said with the intention of discrediting and infantilizing the trans people who spoke out.

The "Twitter thread" you posted appears to be just one person (you perhaps?) ......

Not me! I linked that thread because it was written by a trans person - I'm cis, I didn't want to speak over or on behalf of the trans voices that have already spoken out on this issue, so I figured it was better to share the points they already made.Thank you for the link though, I don’t want to beat a dead horse here and I do acknowledge that we’ve spiraled off the topic of closing. rattleNwoolypenguin‘s point is much more concise than mine, and is well put.

tl;dr: empathy and listening is good for interacting with ANYONE and key to being an ally. I don't want to spam this thread any more and I know my posts tend to be very long, so I will be done after this - if anyone wants to discuss this any further (politely, please)feel free to PM me
"

Thank you for responding. As someone who has researched cross gender in theatre ( Read Alissa Solomon) I don’t understand why the online and I assert it is the online community are so insistent that transgenderism is some sort of binary that implodes on itself could once a person has transitioned.

Transgender is an umbrella term that includes transvestite for example which are generally cis-gender heterosexual men.

Cross dressing as an act in itself is included in transgender ideology, but some of the community don’t want to recognise this. There is a problem within the transgender community where some want to deny their trans-ness and view themselves as part of hegemonic heteronormativity. This is damaging to the whole LGBTQ+ community and has resulted in splinter organisations here in the UK.

My belief is we are stronger together but the transgender community have to accept they are part of the large queer community. I further assert my point that Pose Fx while a fantastic representation of the transgender community has written out of history drag queens and trannies. Yes I use the word tranny because so many of our brothers and sisters self/identified as that and I am not going to write them out of history now to assuage part of a community that doesn’t really want to be part of the queer community but part of hegemony.

As for the t-shirt I think it’s typical of the times we live in to find offence in something so innocuous.

If people who are transgender don’t want to be part of the queer community and deny queer people the right toidentify as they wish then they are no better than the oppressive society queer people have fought against for years.

Drag queens (Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence and/or Fire Island Widows) used the politics of cross dressing to advance the whole community.
"

And here would be the Twitter stan reply to all that:

Ok boomer

"

I only saw this boomer you speak of on this thread. As an out queer man I don’t think calling me that would achieve anything but highlight the lack of history these stans understand. 

Coming from a rural area where no one was out before me, 15 year old me over 20 years ago proudly held my head high and often sauntered down the street in drag. Most important to me was to find people like me and before I was 18 this was in literature and history and I work a lot on highlighting the history of the pink triangle in the holocaust. 

I’m glad Social Media wasn’t a thing when I was a teen, because while it may connect people isolated from minority groups it has stifled discourse. Everyone with a smart phone now believes their opinion is fact and right and to be followed. To back down when presented with facts and research by educators is seen as a weakness and results in doubling down. 

Fem boys, sissies, camp men, men in dresses paved the way for some of the freedoms we now have in the western world and to deny them their right to exist in their own time and space as they identified without reevaluating them with a modern lens is a disservice. 

Tootsie Is Closing  Nov 14 2019, 05:31:15 AM

springwillcome said: "First,I somehow missed RexInLights comment on this thread, which was posted before mine - they said most of what I wanted to and more concisely, so I do apologize for being redundant. But I will reply to those of you who responded below:

Get some good sleep, perhaps tomorrow your middle school will teach you about paragraphs, run on sentences, and.....

I’m 21, not 12, and if you can’t come up with a cohesive response other than mockery, then I have nothing to say to you (except Ok Boomer). Just because I don’t feel the need to write you a formal essay on social media / am younger doesn’t mean you’re inherently better. Get over yourself.

Can you explain what was transphobic about the show? Thank you.

Hi! The issue lies mainly in the man-in-a-dress trope, and the thread I linked earlier explains how that contributes to misogyny / trans misogyny quite well. I’ll also link the aforementioned review, written by a trans person, as I feel that’s better than me (as a cis person) explaining it. The use of "Being A Woman Is No Job For A Man" tagline in and outside the show is particularly noteworthy as that is word-for-word rhetoric that is frequently used against trans women. Article:https://www.americantheatre.org/2019/05/07/the-gender-problem-tootsie-cant-dress-up/

"Mocking"? What comments were mocking those people?

"How long before the little nobody who wrote that ridiculous article about Tootsie being transphobic takes credit for this?", "Do they even buy tickets to shows, or do they just watch bootlegs?", and other comments in this thread that were said with the intention of discrediting and infantilizing the trans people who spoke out.

The "Twitter thread" you posted appears to be just one person (you perhaps?) ......

Not me! I linked that thread because it was written by a trans person - I'm cis, I didn't want to speak over or on behalf of the trans voices that have already spoken out on this issue, so I figured it was better to share the points they already made.Thank you for the link though, I don’t want to beat a dead horse here and I do acknowledge that we’ve spiraled off the topic of closing. rattleNwoolypenguin‘s point is much more concise than mine, and is well put.

tl;dr: empathy and listening is good for interacting with ANYONE and key to being an ally. I don't want to spam this thread any more and I know my posts tend to be very long, so I will be done after this - if anyone wants to discuss this any further (politely, please)feel free to PM me
"

Thank you for responding. As someone who has researched cross gender in theatre ( Read Alissa Solomon) I don’t understand why the online and I assert it is the online community are so insistent that transgenderism is some sort of binary that implodes on itself could once a person has transitioned.

Transgender is an umbrella term that includes transvestite for example which are generally cis-gender heterosexual men. 

Cross dressing as an act in itself is included in transgender ideology, but some of the community don’t want to recognise this. There is a problem within the transgender community where some want to deny their trans-ness and view themselves as part of hegemonic heteronormativity. This is damaging to the whole LGBTQ+ community and has resulted in splinter organisations here in the UK. 

My belief is we are stronger together but the transgender community have to accept they are part of the large queer community. I further assert my point that Pose Fx while a fantastic representation of the transgender community has written out of history drag queens and trannies. Yes I use the word tranny because so many of our brothers and sisters self/identified as that and I am not going to write them out of history now to assuage part of a community that doesn’t really want to be part of the queer community but part of hegemony. 

As for the t-shirt I think it’s typical of the times we live in to find offence in something so innocuous. 

If people who are transgender don’t want to be part of the queer community and deny queer people the right to identify as they wish then they are no better than the oppressive society queer people have fought against for years. 

Drag queens (Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence and/or Fire Island Widows) used the politics of cross dressing to advance the whole community. 

Tootsie Is Closing  Nov 13 2019, 10:58:57 AM

springwillcome said: "The comments mocking the people who were upset about Tootsie being transphobic are honestly gross. If you are upset over twitter celebrations, considering that people lost their jobs, that is Maybeunderstandable - I feel for the ensemble members and actors who took what work they could get - but ultimately, trans folks celebrating that something that was genuinely causing them harm won’t be anymore isperfectly okay, and silencing their voices is gross. If

Tootsie Is Closing  Nov 12 2019, 07:26:56 AM
I was very excited to get tickets to this show but sadly had to cancel my trip.

I wasn’t a fan then when the Cast recording came out but perhaps it’s one of those shows you have to see to get drawn in.

I really didn’t understand the transphobic criticisms but until I see the script I cannot comment.

My general comment is that current transgender ideology seems to be erasing anything beyond another binary pre and post transition. It’s transformative/heteronormative.

Smash Tv Show Time  Oct 15 2019, 07:07:57 PM

ModernMillie3 

You have a lot of time on your hands. Like everything in Smash, as Valentina stated, it's not all that deep."

I’m supervising a thesis on representations of the casting couch, the student is using Smash as a basis for a chapter on theatre before the #MeTooMovement 

She has some very interesting ideas. As researchers our job is to analyse over content. 

Smash Tv Show Time  Oct 14 2019, 01:41:06 PM

JSquared2 said: "Gizmo6 said: "I thought the same but wasn’t Follies the year previous?

I just thought it was anachronistic.
"

She wasn't playing "Bernadette Peters" on the show -- she was playing a famous Broadway star --- and GYPSY featured BP on the poster -- FOLLIES did not.
"

I know she wasn’t playing herself. 

The billboard wasn’t the one of Peters it was the name Gypsy spelled o

Smash Tv Show Time  Oct 14 2019, 01:24:50 PM
I thought the same but wasn’t Follies the year previous?

I just thought it was anachronistic.

Smash Tv Show Time  Oct 14 2019, 09:29:27 AM
Hey all,

Im rewatching Smash and in episode 9 I notice Ivy and Karen dancing on Times Square where there is a large billboard with the 2003 Artwork for the Bernadette Peters helmed Gypsy.

Why was this? Smash was released 9 years later.

Ben Platt To Star In New Ryan Murphy Netflix Series  Oct 1 2019, 07:20:37 PM

broadwaybabywannabe2 said:

"Finally i do look forward to Season 2, now that Bette Midler is involved in the story arc!"

A second season is hopeful. I was disappointed with this and his recent Fosse/Verdon 

I’m at the coffee shop seen with Ben and girlfriend at the end where he’s crying. God it’s bad! 

Diana on broadway. How will New York respond  Sep 28 2019, 04:45:22 AM

It hits two core Broadway audiences, women in their mid 40s to 60s, and gay men. You could survive for years with those."

Famous Last Words says Cher! 

Moulin Rouge launches National Tour in 2020  Sep 20 2019, 09:19:07 PM
I had tickets to the first preview but sadly couldn’t make it.

I was disappointed by some of the changes I had heard.

Now hearing the soundtrack I feel they’ve striped it of it’s heart and it’s just a thumping pop concert.

I was excited to hear the Shirley Bassey intro into Sparkling Diamond but to continue into Single Ladies and I can’t remember how many songs, the whole recording sounded like the Jospeh Mega-Mix on Crack.

The moments from the film I love

Apparently there are worse things than cell phone usage in the theatre  Aug 17 2019, 08:31:18 AM
I live in European so attend the West End frequently and luckily have not encountered this behaviour. I have heard about it. There’s a book called A Good Night out for Girls by academic Elaine Aston which talks about this type of Hen or batchelortte night out theatre which I try avoid.

I will say that I personally noticed the change in the security of the West End after the Paris attacks especially the Bataclan.

I think there’s a high risk and concern over a terror attack I.

No, Tootsie is NOT closing next.  Aug 8 2019, 06:08:47 AM
I’m a queer academic, as I’ve said before, but you cannot win with one section of the transgender movement. As someone pointed out sometimes these kids aren’t even part of the LGBTQI+ community.

Transgender ideology has moved to the stage where they have become the gender binary police.

There is now cis and pre-cis. Many do not want to see themselves as a distinct group T or part of the LGBTQI+ community as a whole.

Pose FX completely erased drag queens from the Ball

Hal Prince has died  Jul 31 2019, 12:22:19 PM
What a legacy.

The magic he created with the Phantom black box inspired so many, including myself.

FOSSE/VERDON  Jul 29 2019, 06:59:02 PM

Very excited this is starting on the BBC Friday here in the UK. Normally there's a wait but this is landing quick. 

What Gives You The Right To Turn On Your Phone During The Show  Jul 25 2019, 07:27:24 AM

theatregoer3 said: "I think we can also try and be understanding. At Moulin Rouge the other night I had to look at my phone to quickly respond to emergency work texts. I was in the middle of the row and would have made a bigger fuss by leaving. The patron next to me was clearly perturbed. At intermission I apologized to him and explained the situation. He seemed to be grateful for the apology. We’re all human."

May i ask, not in a jerky way, but as more of an e

RIP Broadway 07/18/2019  Jul 21 2019, 07:18:55 PM

Mister Matt said: "People actively chose (and possibly PAID) to see Nene in Chicago? And then complain about how bad it was? That's like intentionally buying rotten egg salad and then complaining about how awful it tastes. Maybe it will be great when they eventually cast Snooki from Jersey Shore!"

It was Thanksgiving night. We were visiting from Europe and had seen a rake of show including King and I. There was nothing to see that night bar Chicago. We didn't

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You