News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for LushyBear

Member Name: LushyBear
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
 Feb 23 2024, 05:54:28 PM

MagicalMusical said: "Kad said: "Even though the film as a whole doesn’t cohere, I can’t really bring myself to dislike it. The individual musical numbers are all incredible. The art direction and conception of anOz/NYC hybrid is genuinely brilliant and realized extremely well- it’s incredibly specific, rooted in Dorothy’s character and the experience of urban Black Americans at the time, and has a point of view.

Contemporary takes on it ju

Feb 2 2024, 06:30:36 PM

inception said: "I don't know that comparing the stage show to the film is a good thing. It has developed a cult following over the years, but for people just coming to it, they may not realize what a colossal failure the film was considered when it was first released. People hated the changes that had been made for the film from the original stage version. I had never seen the stage version when I first saw the film, but even as a child on first viewing it I was confused and fou

Feb 1 2024, 06:12:26 PM

ACL2006 said: "LushyBear said: "
Wayne Brady was out last night, but I don't think he would've made a huge difference for me."

Already? Was Alan Mingo Jr. on?

"

He was, and he was fine. 

A few more thoughts now that I've seen the movie version as well. It's wild to me that this show heavily takes inspiration from the Scarecrow scene and nothing else. I guess what I wou

Jan 31 2024, 07:30:25 PM

Saw this yesterday in SF.

I went in completely cold, I know Wizard of Oz and have seen Wicked many a times, but the Wiz never entered my sphere. And I guess I am also not the target audience for this show, and that's perfectly fine. 

Wayne Brady was out last night, but I don't think he would've made a huge difference for me. 

What others shared around the scenery is pretty true. It's cheap and bland. The backgrounds can be very dist

Jagged Little Pill National Tour
 Nov 15 2022, 02:29:38 PM

I saw this in SF purely because Heidi is in it.

The show was better than expected, but I think the plot is doing too much. It's a whiplash of stories that are opened up, and none of it is focused enough. I had a good time, despite sound issues (which are not necessarily the fault of the production, the Golden Gate Theater is an odd space for sound it seems).

Great Comet - Shotgun Players (Berkeley)
 Nov 15 2022, 02:19:20 PM

I saw this show last Friday and had a good time.

I wasn't super familiar with the music/plot of this before I went in. I guess my critique is fundamentally in the internal monolgue stuff that's carried through the lyrics, but that's not the fault of this production.

The actors are doing a fantastic job. I sat between the stage and the walkway stage left and had some interactions/connections with the actors. It was nice to hear the voices right behind me.

Sound

Jagged Little Pill tour- Pantages Hollywood
 Sep 18 2022, 07:54:42 PM

I guess I can't really figure out the site you're alluding to. Would that also work for SF? It's the Hub of the bay, I'd think?

Hadestown tour questions.
 Jun 20 2022, 09:35:18 PM

I have seen the show twice in SF now. Once with Nick, and then last Friday with Chibueze. I enjoyed both times, but I think I preferred Chibueze as Orpheus.

One gripe I had was, that it was really hard to understand anything they were saying for both shows. It was shrill, and loud, and really unbalanced. Wait for Me (both times) are the clear standouts in the show, and seemingly the only ones where some theatrics come in.

I saw a video of the elevator stuff on Broadway and felt

LEHMAN TRILOGY to start previews September 25; 99 performances only
 Jun 13 2022, 08:55:29 PM

Does anyone know why they pulled this from San Francisco?

HBO Spring Awakening doc gets release date
 May 4 2022, 08:13:29 PM

I loved this, it brought back many memories. I've only seen the London production with Iwan Rheon, but was obsessed with the OBC recording.

I was disappointed they didn't show BCJ's solo in Touch Me. That's one of my most favorite moments on the recording as I love his voice there.

I share the sentiment, that a lot of people didn't get a lot of exposure in this, I wonder if some wanted to stay out of the limelight.

Cursed Child (San Francisco) Performance Thread
 Apr 24 2022, 10:13:00 PM

I saw the show yesterday and had a good time. I didn't feel like any cuts were obvious, and I didn't remember anything that was cut, so I guess that worked out. This show is beautiful to look at. Costumes and sets are great. I can't deal with the story. It's too dumb and convenient.

Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
 Oct 27 2021, 08:53:08 PM

Marc Platt is producing? So we'll have Ben Platt as Elphaba? Yay!

CURSED CHILD to alter BW production
 Jul 15 2021, 04:05:45 PM

Looks like the SF production will also be edited: 

"Rejoice! We are reopening our doors on January 11th with an all new HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD experience. Whether it's your first time or you've been waiting to return, you've never seen anything like this.

The award-winning CURSED CHILD creative team has conjured an all-new experience exclusively for North America. With just ONE ticket in hand, you’ll enjoy the continuation of

The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
 May 11 2021, 11:58:13 AM

Things I think could've been cut: 

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

All of the piragua guy stuff

The Dreamer Protest 

I get it's done to add character motivation - but the designer stuff wasn't necessarily needed either

I also wonder why they somewhat ret-conned the timeline of this whole

The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
 May 10 2021, 08:30:52 PM

I saw this yesterday during the Mother's Day previews. I had a really good time. I still think the show (and the movie) have some lengths in the 2nd act (and to a degree, the movie takes care of them), but it is still a long movie for what the story is. 

The changes that were made to the story were not necessarily my favorite. I love "Blackout" in the show, in the movie it is significantly cut down. 

I did like the little Hamilton reference in this. 

I regret not seeing...
 Nov 5 2020, 03:11:20 PM

I re-discovered Lord of the Rings. I was in London a few times when it was playing. I liked the music a lot, but regret not going to the show now. I doubt it'll ever be re-done at that scale. 

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - One Part?
 Jul 21 2020, 05:35:02 PM

The show needs work. I felt the first part was more impressive and fun from an effects-perspective, but at the end of the day, the story just needs work and should be brought back into the HP universe and the rules that were set-up there, in my opinion. 

Hamilton on Disney to be MUTED?
 May 19 2020, 01:47:21 PM

People here really get hung up on bleeping 3 f-bombs in a 2.5 hour show? If this allows more people to see the show, then that's good? Do the f-bombs add so much added value to the show? Probably not. 

Phantom & Christine Doubles
 Apr 22 2020, 04:16:50 PM

I was under the impression that the part starting with the boat is live? And then Christine's final notes (is that a cadenza?) is also from tape. 

Angels In America @ Berkeley Rep
 May 16 2018, 02:19:42 PM
Re:seating - I asked to get moved from the last row of the Mezz to Box CC Seats 2/4 for some more space. The seats are great at that price. You don't miss much at all, but are a little closer to the action. I don't think they sell these online, but if you get the cheapest bracket, try to move to the boxes, if you don't mind missing a little bit.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You