News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for theaterdarling

Member Name: theaterdarling
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

PATRIOTS Previews  Apr 18 2024, 04:16:24 PM

Frends due to join me at "Patriots" on Saturday April 20 at 1PM had to cancel their trip to NYC so I have available for sale three (3) tix purchased thru TDF. Since they are TDF, I can't pick up at box office until 12:30PM Saturday so would have to hand over to you at theater. You can buy 1, 2 or all 3. I paid $51 each all in and am asking $40 ea. Seats possibly? likely? better than Rus

PATRIOTS Previews  Apr 2 2024, 01:22:23 PM

Jonathan Cohen said: "PipingHotPiccolo said: "Jonathan Cohen said: "Without diminishing what could well be a very insightful play, asking people to spend money on a play about Putin, while we still can't escape him on the nightly news is kind of a hard sell for me."

to each their own, but isnt that what makes this play topical, relevant, etc?
"

I was really sorry to hear about Michael Stuhlbarg getting attacked. It's

APPROPRIATE Reviews  Jan 24 2024, 03:10:37 AM

No joy in saying this, but I am with the naysayers. Jesse Green was so very, very right -- the first time. For those of you who did not click through to or otherwise remember the original review of the off-Broadway production he imbedded in his review of the Broadway production posted above, here: 

"The play is as overstuffed as the house, but at least the house gets cleaned during the action. The play just gets more cluttered. Starting with the title, which is awkwa

PATRIOTS to open at the Barrymore Theatre for 12 Week Run beginning April 1st, 2024  Jan 23 2024, 03:43:34 AM

Jarethan said: "If it is 20 years since he was last on Broadway, I imagine the last time might have been Pillowman, in which he stole the show from an outstanding Billy Crudup as well as Jeff Goldblum. I seem to remember there was a fourth cast member, but I can’t remember anything about his performance.

That said, I saw this in London and thought Hollander was really great in the role. Wonder why he didn’t want to cross the pond. He would have been a serious T

The Official TDF Thread  Jan 19 2024, 10:54:29 AM

idioteque... said: "theaterdarling said: "Kimberly Akimbo for Wednesday night January 17 Orchestra G 113, 114 and 115. Gorgeous seats, however, the theater gods giveth and they also they taketh away: Victoria Clark was out - without any notice anywhere (except, apparently her Instagram page which indicated she was on vacation for a week). I only found out about it after my ticket purchase (on Tuesday) from the Kimberly chat thread on this site. I asked the box office person

APPROPRIATE Reviews  Jan 18 2024, 10:34:22 PM

wesleystewart said: "Hi all, had to rearrange my trip to NYC in a couple weeks so I have a ticket to Appropriate for Friday, January 26 Orchestra F10. Just looking for face value if anyone is interested, $128.

Also, anyone know if entire cast is performing both shows on Wednesdays?
"

I can only speak to the Wednesday January 17th matinee - everyone was in. 

The Official TDF Thread  Jan 18 2024, 09:37:54 PM

Kimberly Akimbo for Wednesday night January 17 Orchestra G 113, 114 and 115. Gorgeous seats, however, the theater gods giveth and they also they taketh away:  Victoria Clark was out - without any notice anywhere (except, apparently her Instagram page which indicated she was on vacation for a week). I only found out about it after my ticket purchase (on Tuesday) from the Kimberly chat thread on this site. I asked the box office person when I picked up the tix about why this was not made k

Peter Morgan's PATRIOTS heading to Broadway?  Jan 15 2024, 07:42:19 PM

Audition dates announced for supporting roles and stage manager submissions requested for Broadway production - so looks like it is definitely coming this year, though no first rehearsal/opening date specifically stated - just 2024. Berezovsky, Putin and Abramovich listed as already cast. Fingers crossed this means Tom Hollander, Will Keen and Luke Thallon will all reprise Almeida/West End roles. Woo Hoo. So looking forward to this. 

Streisand on CBS Sunday Morning  Nov 6 2023, 11:53:20 AM

Seeing Gayle's tour of Barbra's cellar (or "mall" as Gayle names it)only reminded me that "Buyer & Cellar" was the funniest, and, surprisingly, one of the most touching things I've ever seen on stage. Kudos to Tollins & Urie for that magic. Didn't think the streaming version did it justice.

Lyric Stage - BOSTON  Sep 28 2023, 08:26:23 PM

5 min walk to Delux Cafe in South End. Small, dive bar atmosphere, fun neighborhood haunt- good food reasonably priced - however --no reservations cash only. Opens at 5.  I love it - but Google it - make sure it is the right vibe for you. 

Share your thoughts about the show after you see on Saturday. I'm going on Sunday. I agreed with your thoughts about Evita at ART so look forward to your "heads up" - yay or nay- on this. My first time seeing a production of t

Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024  Jun 14 2023, 05:00:33 PM

dramamama611 said: "And now my debate: getting season tix to secure getting to this or waiting allllll tbe way until March. Ugh."

I have faced that dilemma often with A.R.T. but FWIW I have never had a problem getting a ticket for what is perceived to be a hot show in the upcoming season at A.R.T. when I've waited for single tickets to go on sale. I do, however, always jump on as soon as the online sales open. I have also noticed that an A.R.T. production h

London- West End Help/Recommendations  Jun 6 2023, 05:26:47 PM

Jarethan said: "I am in London as I type. Probably my best trip ever in terms of at least liking all but one of the shopws I have seen:

— Patriots *****. Tom Hollander and the actor who played Putin were spectacularly good. Play very entertaining and provocative....

For those who like to keep track of those stalwart British actors whose faces show up everywhere but whose names are more elusive, let me be helpful :) and add that "the actor

LEOPOLDSTADT limited TV series in the works  May 27 2023, 10:16:44 AM

Alex Kulak2 said: "Why wouldn't Stoppard be writing the adaptation himself? No disrespect to Marber, he's a great writer too, but Stoppard's an Oscar-winning screenwriter who's adapted his own material before, and even worked with Spielberg before (he was a script doctor for the 3rd Indiana Jones movie)."

Maybe it is as simple as he does not want to, nor does he need to!  He is, after all, 85 years old, and based on what I've read, if

London - mid March 2023  May 26 2023, 11:29:29 PM

In none of the London recommendation threads (unless I missed it) do I see "Patriots" on anybody's list - or as a rec which shocks me. It is Peter Morgan, had a sold out run last summer at the Almeida (fastest in the theater's history) before tonight's West End opening, scored a few Olivier nominations with a win for Will Keen, mostly excellent reviews, fascinating subject matter and most important, Tom Hollander is in it! I was so blown away by Hollander in "Traves

Oliver Awards - Watch in US?  Mar 31 2023, 08:59:08 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "1pm American time. :)

Of course! Thanks for noting that.

Oliver Awards - Watch in US?  Mar 31 2023, 08:12:15 PM

It does stream on You Tube. From the OfficialLondonTheare.com website:

For viewers outside of the UK, there will be a livestream of the ceremony on the Official London Theatre YouTube channel from 6pm.

ART Evita Casting  Mar 23 2023, 11:38:10 PM

BCfitasafiddle said: "Chase Miller said: "Can she sing it? I know she can sing but you have to be able to SING for Evita."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTXTrKIcJAg
"

Ugh, all this video proves is how terribly wrong she is for Evita. The smugness and self-regard is so off-putting. I'll believe she is being cast in this when I see it - very skeptical it comes to pass. Don't get her at all. Both she and Elgort dragged "West Side Story" way down and, in large part. why the movie bombed. Sweet voice but nothing special. Zero acting ability. Will buy a ticket to this because it is in my back yard and I look forward to a new production, but with a fervent wish she is not cast - or at least won't be in the ART run.  

2023 Olivier Award Predictions  Jan 24 2023, 09:05:09 AM

Since Almeida productions qualify, I'd say both Tom Hollander and Will Keen get nominations for Best/Actor Drama for Patriots. Even those critics who thought the play could be better rhapsodized about these performances and lauded the production overall. Hollander was robbed of an Olivier (as well as Tony) for Travesties so just give it to him (deservedly according to reviews) for Patriots and I'm sure apology will be accepted. Of course, Paul Mescal might suck all the air out of this

Gonna Be You - 80 for Brady  Jan 24 2023, 07:58:20 AM

Late January early February release date usually tips a studio is expecting a critical drubbing. Early media blitz hopes to make it critic proof but older, predominantly female target audience for this film seem the least likely to return movie theaters so good luck with that. Fonda and Tomlin portrayed very, very funny older women in "Grace and Frankie" and set a high, dignified bar - have a fear this film lowers it.

ART Production  Jan 24 2023, 07:36:54 AM

LateMan said: "Saw this at the ART on opening night. The physical production is astonishing. The script is okay, but perhaps too much on the nose and with a clumsy framing device. Biggest problem is that the performers are, by and large, only adequate, with a tendency to declaim line after line with the same affects. Right now, they don't give the play the extra shot it needs to make it memorable for something more than technically remarkable staging."

Pretty muc

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You