News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for PauloFanClem

PauloFanClem Profile Photo
Member Name: PauloFanClem
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Your biggest Broadway crush
 Oct 17 2010, 05:55:43 AM
Paulo as Giovanni... GREAT!

And Stephen Sondheim, I dig him too! I always consider him as a cute cute hugging bear!

Your biggest Broadway crush
 Oct 7 2010, 11:52:04 PM
PAULO PAULO PAULO PAULO PAULO!!!!!! ::)
Paulo Szot - Cafe Carlyle debut
 Sep 27 2010, 05:31:45 AM
February? Will it extend to March? So want to see his performance (though I know ticket prices are like sky high, time to save money...).

As for Women on the Verge, he was listed for the reading, but withdrawn at the end. Maybe he's really packed with operatic engagements (which to me is not a bad thing). But yes, he should come back to Broadway as soon as possible!

Sep 24 2010, 11:30:27 PM
And "Paulo Zot?" Hahahaha~

A little bit off-topic, but an article about Paulo, his coming role of Don Giovanni in Dallas, and a little bit about the Cafe Carlyle performance.

http://www.dmagazine.com/Home/D_Magazine/2010/October/Dallas_Opera_Paulo_Szot_is_Smoking_Hot.aspx

Sep 17 2010, 03:39:10 AM
"Umm...he'd be Lancelot, no?"

He can be Lancelot like a finger snap. I will like to know more about his King Arthur instead, and his age is actually appropriate.

Sep 16 2010, 12:11:59 PM
PHOTOS: http://www.playbill.com/news/article/142978-PHOTO-CALL-Tony-Winner-Paulo-Szot-Performs-Solo-Concert-at-Cafe-Carlyle

Now waiting for clips if there's any. So happy that he did good, and oh... if he does Camelot... what a King Arthur!

OK let's recast Night Music again
 Sep 8 2010, 11:14:00 PM
"it would be clear that the count is very fit and Paulo is a little (just a little!) sloppy."

Have to admit that he did have that gut. I hope it will go back in when we see him next time. :P

Sep 8 2010, 11:11:25 AM
"Frederick is actually a wonderful role; and Szot is definitely not too bulky or handsome for the part -- actually, Hanson's replacement, Stephen Buntrock is very much in the Paulo Szot mold phsycially...."

No doubt Paulo can act out Fredrik, and in my opinion, he is going to be the sexiest Fredrik in history, but there's only one song for him that really shows his singing technique. As for the bulky-handsome problem, I'm just afraid that Paulo's charm and physique will be as equa

Sep 8 2010, 06:21:45 AM
"Paulo Szot- Fredrik"

Fredrik will be too much a thankless role for Paulo, and even though I know he will rock this role like hell, he is too bulky and handsome for it. It's more suitable for him to be the Count, but again, another thankless role for such a lovely singer (same as what happened to Aaron).

South Pacific Broadway Cast (PBS) vs Touring Cast
 Aug 27 2010, 08:53:27 AM
I agree with Elphaba and traveler. I haven't watched the tour cast actually, so I said I won't compare. I think "special" is the word to describe the Broadway cast though, because of the casting. Why they need to cast Emile for over a year is because they just need to find the perfect person for such a role, a charming foreign operatic baritone who is capable to act out the depth of the role, and it's fate in my opinion that they found Paulo. I'm thankful that they have introduced us such a handsome opera singer with star quality who puts acting in the first place, willing to push himself to become an actor who sings (read the articles about him in NY Times and Opera News)! I'm not saying the tour cast is bad, but as long as I read the interviews about the show, Paulo is just much more special on preparing the role, and he did come out spectacularly! The PBS recording is his best I've ever seen. I don't think any other people have sung "This Nearly Was Mine" in such a way: with power but fear, with loneliness and desperation in his eyes, with the feeling of hopelessness, and with agony at the end of the piece. I think he actually had dig the script over and over again in the past 2 years to find the role and to come up such much more powerful performance than before! I so hope that he will do La Cage, but as I know, he is going to be packed with operas in the coming year , though all big roles.

South Pacific Broadway Cast (PBS) vs Touring Cast
 Aug 26 2010, 03:00:45 PM
I won't compare one from another, but 3 times I watched Paulo and his performance the PBS recording, in my opinion, is the best! A new approach to the character, a much deeper reading. Paulo is more loosen than 2 years ago, and "This Nearly Was Mine" is no longer a voice showcase (though previously he already had sparks of his acting talent put in it) but an acting piece! Beautiful transitions in it, full of emotion! Not to mention his eyes have drama inside. Act 1 finale especially shows that P
Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?
 Aug 6 2010, 05:01:17 PM
First time to watch Mary Poppins? Then Mary Poppins! Because Laura Michelle Kelly is a MUST to watch!
Matthew Morrison Will Not Be Part of PBS South Pacific Broadcast
 Aug 5 2010, 12:48:07 AM
Ahh, I see, but I did feel that Andrew's Cable is sympathetic, and he did love Liat, just that the presentation is different than Matthew's, the lack gentleness because of the role's nature.
 Aug 5 2010, 12:05:50 AM
But isn't "arrogance" the original reading of the role? I heard some critics say that why Hammerstein kills Cable is because, unlike Nellie, he stays being arrogance. That's why death is his karma.

But then again, weirdly, I heard people groaning during the scene when Emile announced that Andrew's Cable is dead.

Aug 4 2010, 05:52:31 PM
Aaron Lazar is GREAT, but we can only dream on that.
 Aug 4 2010, 05:35:30 PM
Andrew is rough. Not a particularly good actor, and I'm not a fan of his singing. The only thing I like him more than Matthew is that he looks more like a person in military, but still not really an eye candy.

I agree with TheatreFan4. Anderson will be a good choice!

SOUTH PACIFIC review - 7/31/2010
 Aug 3 2010, 11:42:06 AM
^Totally agree about Paulo! You just cannot get enough of him. And he's so gracious at the stage door, and so genuine.

And yes, there's basically no direction to the stage door. Even the direction posted on BWW years ago is not easy to follow, without being there.

SOUTH PACIFIC review - 7/31/2010
 Aug 2 2010, 04:31:41 PM
I am so glad you like it! I watched it 3 weeks ago, first time I saw this LIVE, and I was over the moon with Paulo's and Laura's performances! Not only that Paulo has God's pipes, but his acting has evolved to a more mature status. I LOVE how he changed his portrait of Emile not as an innocent idealist but a person who is damaged, lonely, and knows life. Laura's rejection to his children is not more a astonishing recognition but a repeated disappointment. A bravo take! Laura's Neillie is devastatingly true. The last scene, her body language after she hears Paulo's voice, that's phenomenal!

And yes, they leave after the matinee show really fast (Danny was the quickest, 5 minutes after the show). The first time, I only catch Loretta, but because I really love the cast (and especially I got something for Paulo to sign), I went back the other night! If u really want to get autographs, watch a night show!

Is 'Night Music' for the younger theater lovers?
 Jul 31 2010, 10:52:21 PM
During Patti's conference for her autobiography, a mum told Patti that she brought her 5 year old daughter to watch Gypsy, and she LOVED it! Don't underestimate children adoring adult musicals. In fact, my stance is to bring your children to watch musical classics (juvenile or mature) as young as possible, because I always believe good art will influence youngters. I first knew about the show when I was 14, and I had already been dying to watch a production of it!
South Pacific Rush
 Jul 31 2010, 10:28:01 PM
"This may be stating the obvious, but keep in mind that once Kelli O'Hara returns, it may be harder to get rush tickets."

I don't find this surprising. I watched it on July 14, a Wednesday matinee, and it's already a full house! I think it's going to have a grand closing.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You