pixeltracker

Is "Night Music" for the younger theater lovers?

Is "Night Music" for the younger theater lovers?

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#1Is "Night Music" for the younger theater lovers?
Posted: 7/31/10 at 2:50pm

Well, I am going to start out by telling you that I am going to answer my own question, but let me tell you why I asked it. On the "other board", (ATC) there is an incredible amount of "buzz" regarding the "re-opening" of ALNM. The press is seeing it this weekend, with reviews to come out Monday. However, Jesse21, who posts a review of every show on ATC, just posted a review of ALNM in which he said the pairing of Bernadette Peters and Elaine Stritch is "the stuff of which Broadway legends are made", suggesting to all that they go so that they can tell their kids and grand kids that they were there.

My sense is (and of course, there is no way to know) that the average age of those on the other board is older than most on BWW, and thus, perhaps, there is less talk about ALNM here than there. I think that maybe younger theater goers (say 18-30) may think that this is not a show for them. If that's so, I will say to them, go see this show. You won't be disappointed. So, my answer to the original question is a resounding YES.

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Is 'Night Music' for the younger theater lovers?
Posted: 7/31/10 at 2:57pm

Well, obviously you haven't
1. Spent much time here at all
2. Know how to use a search feature.

ALNM (with BOTH casts) has been talked about here quite extensively.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#2Is 'Night Music' for the younger theater lovers?
Posted: 7/31/10 at 3:03pm

It's probably the most talked about show on here from last season.

....but the world goes 'round

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3Is 'Night Music' for the younger theater lovers?
Posted: 7/31/10 at 3:13pm

Night Music is often considered one of the most adult/mature musicals of all-time. And it is.

Taz is right, this production has been wildly discussed here since it was announced last spring.

onedaymore Profile Photo
onedaymore
#4Is 'Night Music' for the younger theater lovers?
Posted: 7/31/10 at 3:36pm

It's clear that you don't spend enough time here because ALNM is THE buzz on this board.

I am 18 years old, and I would pick ALNM over shows like American Idiot, Wicked, In the Heights, etc.

Thanks for your conclusions, but no.

Whoever says money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to shop. - Bo Derek

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#5Is 'Night Music' for the younger theater lovers?
Posted: 7/31/10 at 3:37pm

I saw this show with two of my daughters, ages 15 & 23. Both of them LOVED the show.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

PauloFanClem Profile Photo
PauloFanClem
#6Is 'Night Music' for the younger theater lovers?
Posted: 7/31/10 at 10:52pm

During Patti's conference for her autobiography, a mum told Patti that she brought her 5 year old daughter to watch Gypsy, and she LOVED it! Don't underestimate children adoring adult musicals. In fact, my stance is to bring your children to watch musical classics (juvenile or mature) as young as possible, because I always believe good art will influence youngters. I first knew about the show when I was 14, and I had already been dying to watch a production of it!

Videos