pixeltracker

Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?

Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?

jaxel614
#1Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?
Posted: 8/6/10 at 9:35am

So over the last few weeks I've seen alot of theater. Revies to come soon. Plan on seeing A Little Night Music again before I leave, truly amazing experience.

I still have one more show to choose to rush and right now its down between La Cage (for a second time) and Mary Poppins, which is one of the few shows I have yet to see. Not too sure if I'm in the mood for so much Disney on stage, but I've heard some pretty good things... and I can't stop thinking about Grammar and Hodge's performances. Not sure what to do!

I'd appreciate any input! Thank you guys!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?
Posted: 8/6/10 at 9:41am

If you enjoy being bored out of your skull then I'd suggest Mary Poppins. She won't disappoint.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#2Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?
Posted: 8/6/10 at 9:46am

I like Mary Poppins, but I feel like you generally know what you're in for with either one if you've already seen La Cage. I think La Cage is a community theatre production of an absolutely dreadful show, so I know which one I'd pick...
Updated On: 8/6/10 at 09:46 AM

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#3Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?
Posted: 8/6/10 at 9:47am

^ straight up

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#4Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?
Posted: 8/6/10 at 9:54am

Apart from the set and a few special effects, I thought Mary Poppins was magic and charm-free, with deadly new songs and catastrophic arrangements of the old ones.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#5Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?
Posted: 8/6/10 at 9:57am

This is just me, but when I see a truly incredibly performance (like La Cage was for you) I like to hold onto that specific memory. I have often found that seeing the show a second time will taint the memory of my first experience, but again, that's just a personal thing.

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#6Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?
Posted: 8/6/10 at 10:22am

I liked Mary Poppins a lot. I did have my kids with me, and I think that makes a difference. (Although, there are plenty of shows I've seen with them that I can't stomach)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#7Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?
Posted: 8/6/10 at 10:30am

I'm an adult and I LOVED Mary Poppins. I had a great time, thought it was magical and it transported me. I even cried. I would go with seeing something you haven't seen b/c I am with backwoodsbarbie, sometimes revisting a show you had a transcendent experience at is a bad idea.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

philcrosby
#8Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?
Posted: 8/6/10 at 10:30am

Mary Poppins is a production I found very hard to love. Technically proficient and extremely cold.

ADORED La Cage. Hodge and Grammer are magic.

Lexie27
#9Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?
Posted: 8/6/10 at 10:32am

I hated Mary Poppins. Literally the only show I've ever considered leaving at intermission. I grew up loving the movie so I thought I'd at least enjoy the show a little. Nope.

JMPlayer6 Profile Photo
JMPlayer6
#10Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?
Posted: 8/6/10 at 10:33am

I like both. I saw "Mary Poppins" twice, once in London back in 2007 and once on Broadway earlier this year. I may see "La Cage" again myself, but flying nannies are cool too.

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#11Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?
Posted: 8/6/10 at 10:41am

If I had to choose between the two, I would definitely choose La Cage. It was full of energy and has one of my favorite scores of all time. That being said, I saw Mary Poppins for the first time this week and thoroughly enjoyed it as well. There were some moments that lacked, but overall it was fun (and Laura Michelle Kelly was a delight). And since Bettyboy admitted it, I will too...I cried towards the end.

bwaylvsong
#12Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?
Posted: 8/6/10 at 12:09pm

Mary Poppins was incredible the first time I saw it, but just ok the second time. But whoever called the arrangements atrocious was obviously asleep during Step In Time and Let's Go Fly A Kite. Gorgeous arrangements.

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#13Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?
Posted: 8/6/10 at 12:26pm

^ Agreed...Step in Time gave me absolute chills (despite the fact that I knew what was coming at the end of the song).

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#14Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?
Posted: 8/6/10 at 12:59pm

You want to hear gorgeous arrangements of Step in Time and Let's Go Fly a Kite? Listen to the incomparable Irwin Kostal's orchestrations for the movie. Then, listen to the woeful show orchestrations, which sound like they are composed for kazoo, Casio keyboard and a slide whistle by comparison.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

beautywickedlover
#15Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?
Posted: 8/6/10 at 1:44pm

I saw the national tour of "Mary Poppins" last year and enjoyed every minute of it. I haven't seen it on Broadway, but many are saying that Laura Michelle Kelly's performance is well-worth the trip.

PauloFanClem Profile Photo
PauloFanClem
#16Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?
Posted: 8/6/10 at 5:01pm

First time to watch Mary Poppins? Then Mary Poppins! Because Laura Michelle Kelly is a MUST to watch!

jaxel614
#17Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?
Posted: 8/6/10 at 8:45pm

Agh! Still confused... Not going with younger kids so I don't know if I'll feel out of place at Mary Poppins, thus longing to be at La Cage during the performance. If that makes any sense? can't decide...

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#18Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?
Posted: 8/6/10 at 8:52pm

Since you haven't seen Mary Poppins, I recommend it.
And depending on when you are going, you might get to see Gavin Lee. He's terrific!

Gavin Lee Updated On: 8/6/10 at 08:52 PM

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#19Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?
Posted: 8/6/10 at 9:01pm

I saw Mary Poppins when it originally opened in London, and it isn't possible for me to have hated it, more.

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#20Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?
Posted: 8/6/10 at 9:03pm

Mary Poppins definitely. I've seen both, and you have to see MP. La Cage was good, but MP is really an amazing experience. I went twice!

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#21Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?
Posted: 8/6/10 at 9:04pm

I never saw the Mary Poppins movie (I know, I should get on that) but when I saw the show I thought it was very enjoyable. I love the technical aspects of shows and Mary Poppins certainty had magical effects. I liked the score and the arrangements.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#22Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?
Posted: 8/6/10 at 11:08pm

I'm surprised how many people really hated Mary Poppins. I don't know how much of it is Disney fatigue. I'm not even ever a proponent of the "it's not SUPPOSED to be great, it's supposed to be FUN" BS that so many people use to defend a bad show. I just think it's exactly what it's selling itself as, and does it really wonderfully. The show's been dumbed down a little since opening (the number that replaced Temper, Temper is absolutely horrendous) but I think that it's a technically amazing show with great songs and a real book with coherent characters who go through change. I wouldn't call it one of my favorites, but I've seen it three times and always enjoyed it--and even get a little choked up toward the end.

Wishing Only Wounds Profile Photo
Wishing Only Wounds
#23Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?
Posted: 8/6/10 at 11:14pm

I LOVED Mary Poppins. It's one of those shows that just makes you smile and remember true "Broadway magic."

Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#24Mary Poppins worth it? or a second trip to La Cage?
Posted: 8/7/10 at 2:08am

See Mary Poppins. I went into it not expecting much and I loved it. The visual elements are incredible. I would definitely check it out since you have not seen it yet.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Videos