Paulo Szot - Cafe Carlyle debut

#1Paulo Szot - Cafe Carlyle debut
Posted: 9/15/10 at 8:45am

any word on his performance... Sept. 14-25

eileen6 Profile Photo
eileen6
#2Paulo Szot - Cafe Carlyle debut
Posted: 9/15/10 at 9:39pm

I am going tomorrow evening. What I have heard is that he is very good but then again I wouldn't care if he just stood there for the lenght of the show and did nothing. His presence alone is breath taking. Sorry I am just a shallow old lady.

tytonius
#2Paulo Szot - Cafe Carlyle debut
Posted: 9/16/10 at 3:09am

Theater Michael Riedel Elisabeth Vincentelli Frank Scheck Reviews
Story
Related Stories
Nice ‘View’-ish boy
A hit with my missus
President Obama reflects o of crises on 'The View'
Russell mania
Comment
Tony winner's solo show hits the Szot
By FRANK SCHECK
Last Updated: 1:14 AM, September 16, 2010
Posted: 1:14 AM, September 16, 2010
Comments: 0

More Print
CABARET REVIEW

PAULO SZOT Café Carlyle, 35 E. 76th St. 212-744-1600. Through Sept. 25.

Let's hope the Café Car lyle stocks up on smell ing salts: The sheer amount of swooning at Paulo Szot's opening-night set made it clear that a new romantic idol has arrived.

Fresh off his Tony-winning turn in the hit revival of "South Pacific," the 41-year-old has the dashing good lucks, gorgeous baritone voice and charm that would melt the heart of the coldest Upper East Sider.

In what feels at times like an all-purpose audition piece for leading roles in future revivals, Szot delivers a cannily chosen blend of pop standards, Broadway classics and songs from his native Brazil.

SAMUEL HOUGH
With the stage to himself, seductive "South Pacific" star Paulo Szot exudes both versatility and polish.

Unlike many opera singers who sound stiff when they try pop -- and Szot was a seasoned, if relatively unknown, opera singer before he was cast as Emile De Becque -- he performs with a relaxed naturalism. Even the most familiar songs -- "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face" and "Fly Me to the Moon" -- were enlivened by the gently swinging, Latin jazz-tinged arrangements expertly performed by the Bob Albanese Trio.

Highlights include several selections by Antonio Carlos Jobim, sung in Portuguese, and a pair of tango numbers that show off Szot's seductive elegance. The evening is bookended with "Some Enchanted Evening" and "This Nearly Was Mine," his trademark numbers from "South Pacific," which had even more impact in an intimate nightclub setting.

Tuesday's opening was clearly a gala occasion, featuring an introduction by the Brazilian ambassador and a guest appearance by his "South Pacific" co-star, Kelli O'Hara, with whom he performed a playful duet on "People Will Say We're in Love."

"I've kissed this man over 500 times," O'Hara gushed to a star-studded crowd that included Barbara Walters, Chita Rivera and Tommy Tune. "Aren't I lucky?"

As for Szot's future: his exquisite renditions of "Gigi" and the "Camelot" classic, "If I Loved You," should have producers salivating to bankroll new revivals.

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#3Paulo Szot - Cafe Carlyle debut
Posted: 9/16/10 at 4:13am

The Camelot classic "If I Loved You"??? I guess he means the Carousel classic "If I Would Ever Leave You".

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

eileen6 Profile Photo
eileen6
#4Paulo Szot - Cafe Carlyle debut
Posted: 9/16/10 at 9:17am

Must have gotten confused I suppose. I cannot wait until tonight and it is true as good as the entire cast of South Pacific was it was this man that brought back a presence that I thought could never be recaptured and would lay to rest with Rosanno Brazzi. I am a boomer and the play was before my time but I saw the film at a very young age and I fell in love with the character and adored the actor.

#5Paulo Szot - Cafe Carlyle debut
Posted: 9/16/10 at 11:23am

I am so happy that he is being so well received... he certainly deserves it!!!

PauloFanClem Profile Photo
PauloFanClem
#6Paulo Szot - Cafe Carlyle debut
Posted: 9/16/10 at 12:11pm

PHOTOS: https://www.playbill.com/news/article/142978-PHOTO-CALL-Tony-Winner-Paulo-Szot-Performs-Solo-Concert-at-Cafe-Carlyle

Now waiting for clips if there's any. So happy that he did good, and oh... if he does Camelot... what a King Arthur! Paulo Szot - Cafe Carlyle debut

#7Paulo Szot - Cafe Carlyle debut
Posted: 9/16/10 at 12:40pm

thanks for the link PauloFan!!! Paulo just takes my breath away... absolutely stunning!!!

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#8Paulo Szot - Cafe Carlyle debut
Posted: 9/16/10 at 12:49pm

"if he does Camelot... what a King Arthur!"

Umm...he'd be Lancelot, no?

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#9Paulo Szot - Cafe Carlyle debut
Posted: 9/16/10 at 1:30pm

...the "Camelot" classic, "If I Loved You"...

I love when people mix up Camelot and Carousel.

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#10Paulo Szot - Cafe Carlyle debut
Posted: 9/16/10 at 9:50pm

Is Joan Rivers wearing Owl in those photos? It certainly looks like it.

I thought I'd save my money for Kelli O'Hara's Feinstein's concert in October, but if I can still get a ticket to Paulo's, I might just have to do both!

Dollypop
#11Paulo Szot - Cafe Carlyle debut
Posted: 9/16/10 at 10:11pm

>>>"I love when people mix up Camelot and Carousel."<<<

I love it even more when people mix up CAROUSEL with CASSEROLE, as one local radio announcer did when she was reading copy for a local production. It was the same radio announcer who spoke of Her-mee-on Gingold in the movie Gig-ee. This announcer didn't last very long.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

PauloFanClem
#12Paulo Szot - Cafe Carlyle debut
Posted: 9/17/10 at 3:39am

"Umm...he'd be Lancelot, no?"

He can be Lancelot like a finger snap. I will like to know more about his King Arthur instead, and his age is actually appropriate.

sara
#13Paulo Szot - Cafe Carlyle debut
Posted: 9/17/10 at 4:22pm

Would love to hear about your evening Eileen

Wayman_Wong
#14Paulo Szot - Cafe Carlyle debut
Posted: 9/17/10 at 6:12pm

Critics gave Paulo Szot raves in 'South Pacific,' but his cabaret act isn't setting everyone on fire.

From Joe Dziemianowicz in the N.Y. Daily News: 'Paulo Szot's take on 'Fly Me to the Moon' is so breezy-sexy that you soar with him. Otherwise, the nearly banterless evening of show tunes and Brazilian standards feels impersonal. the Polish-Brazilian opera star looks dreamy. His voice is creamy. But he lacked personality - less a lunar liftoff than a holding pattern.'

From Eric Haagensen in Backstage: 'Szot never sings less than beautifully, and he continues to radiate matinee-idol sexiness, but as the evening goes on, it becomes apparent that he is not particularly interested in revealing himself through his singing. Emotionally remote from his audience, he lets an invisible wall descent that prevents his considerable talents from being fully realized. The evening is all about the music and making it sound good; there's precious little connection with the lyrics.'

Stephen Holden in the N.Y. Times concurs; see link to review.

N.Y. Times: An operatic persona, cut down to size

tytonius
#15Paulo Szot - Cafe Carlyle debut
Posted: 9/18/10 at 12:44am

CRITICS SUCK. I never take them seriously. Anyway, the best review is from NYPOST .

I saw the show and I LOVED IT !!!

eileen6 Profile Photo
eileen6
#16Paulo Szot - Cafe Carlyle debut
Posted: 9/21/10 at 12:28am

It was absolutely breathtaking. He is absolutely breathtaking. He did a well rounded mixture but with all honesty I really enjoyed his Latin numbers most of all. He has this subtle ferocity about him and I foresee a brillant future for Paulo Szot's on Broadway. PS He's very nice.

I agree with the other poster the Critics SUCK. He was on fire. Or maybe I was a little too much vino. Updated On: 9/21/10 at 12:28 AM

eileen6 Profile Photo
eileen6
#17Paulo Szot - Cafe Carlyle debut
Posted: 9/21/10 at 12:37am

Yes he does and then some.

TulitaPepsi Profile Photo
TulitaPepsi
#18Paulo Szot - Cafe Carlyle debut
Posted: 9/21/10 at 8:36am

The Cafe Carlyle prices are too rich for my blood, but Szot's performance at Lincoln Center's "American Songbook" series two years ago was one of the most enjoyable concerts I've ever attended. I had expected the ususal mix of Broadway/Classic standards, but to my delight, Paulo announced that he would be performing classics from "The South American Songbook". Many people in the audience were unhappy with his hour-long selection of Brazilian music (lots of Jobim), but I was in heaven.

"Hurry up and get into your conga clothes - we've got to do something to save this show!"

eileen6 Profile Photo
eileen6
#19Paulo Szot - Cafe Carlyle debut
Posted: 9/21/10 at 6:27pm

Yeah the Carlyle is pretty steep and not my kind of crowd, I like real people. I do not mind steep the food was mediocre but the entertainment terrific. The conversations around us were enough to make me barf and to hear people who wore diamonds the size of Staten Island ordering the cheapest stuff on the menu and then complaining it made me laugh. I would have paid double to have that type of small intimate performance and yes I too overheard people bellyaching about his Latin numbers but hey the man is Brazilian and he has that Latin machisimo so I could care less about the plastic people in the Carlyle I maybe a little older but bring on that hot latin man. He is one of the best performers I have had the pleasure of seeing and I have seen them all. He's going to go a long way. Another thing for all his talent and good looks he is a sweet humble man.

tytonius
#20Paulo Szot - Cafe Carlyle debut
Posted: 9/24/10 at 2:49pm

Regis ( last thursday ) about Paulo:
... "maybe the greatest voice I've ever heard"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uAswWeE3rA

Updated On: 9/24/10 at 02:49 PM

PauloFanClem
#21Paulo Szot - Cafe Carlyle debut
Posted: 9/24/10 at 11:30pm

And "Paulo Zot?" Hahahaha~

A little bit off-topic, but an article about Paulo, his coming role of Don Giovanni in Dallas, and a little bit about the Cafe Carlyle performance.

http://www.dmagazine.com/Home/D_Magazine/2010/October/Dallas_Opera_Paulo_Szot_is_Smoking_Hot.aspx
Updated On: 9/24/10 at 11:30 PM

eileen6 Profile Photo
eileen6
#22Paulo Szot - Cafe Carlyle debut
Posted: 9/25/10 at 3:21pm

Thanks for the link, interesting. Oh Regis!

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#23Paulo Szot - Cafe Carlyle debut
Posted: 9/26/10 at 1:30am

I went to his final show tonight and it was just beautiful. His voice filled the space in the most amazing way! I think my favorite songs were "Gigi," "If Ever I Would Leave You," "If I Loved You," and, of course, "This Nearly Was Mine." Really, it was just a fantastic show and I'm so glad to have seen him perform again. They were saying that he'll be back at the Carlyle in February, so be sure to catch that if you can!

A little off-topic, but I was thinking tonight what a shock it is that he isn't in Women on the Verge. I don't know the movie or the story, but it seems surprising that he wouldn't be in it, considering his Latin roots and relationship with Bart Sher. It would have seemed natural. Again, don't even know if there would be a part in him for it. Let's get this guy back on Broadway as soon as possible!

eileen6 Profile Photo
eileen6
#24Paulo Szot - Cafe Carlyle debut
Posted: 9/26/10 at 9:49am

I second that get this man back to Broadway yesterday. The fact he may return to the Carlyle in February that is hopeful. I was almost tempted to do a second hop to the Carlyle but as much as I adore this man it would have been overkill for me and would have just been for the mere pleasure of staring at him. (LOL).
I am seeing Women on the Verge...next Sunday due to the fact I love ALL of Pedro Almodovar's films and am really curious how this will play out on stage as a musicial. Great cast as well.
I am so happy you enjoyed yourself last night he is wonderful.

Videos