News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for bigbelterbaby

bigbelterbaby Profile Photo
Member Name: bigbelterbaby
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Article: OPERATION MINCEMEAT... plots its course to New York  May 8 2024, 12:57:30 PM

Unfortunately I think the show is too British to appeal to a wide audience. There’s a lot of shows on the West End that have done well there but are so based on British culture and sensibilities that don’t translate. Just look at the tempid reception to Patriots and Cabaret and will likely happen to Sunset Boulevard. 

Dancin vs Illinoise  May 7 2024, 04:56:19 PM

I get that sentiment, there’s also the idea of keeping Fosse’s legacy alive, he was also responsible for the show Fosse that won Best Musical, and a similar review called Big Deal that was also nominated for Best Musical.
To say these shows are all outdated and shouldn’t be revived is kinda sad.

At any rate I’m sure he would be happy any dance based show is finding success and an audience so props to Justin Peck for creating a dance piece even non-dance peo

Dancin vs Illinoise  May 7 2024, 04:10:30 PM

Interesting to hear from all of you on this. I don’t think most people realized Dancin’ was nominated for Best Musical in 1978 and last year’s production was a revival. It’s just funny the following year we have a dance piece also nominated for Best Musical and the debates about that. 

Robert Downey Jr to make Broadway debut in Ayad Akhtar's McNeal at Lincoln Center  May 7 2024, 02:33:44 PM

Apparently he was offered Uncle Vanya but turned it down for this. 

New musical FROM HERE, inspired by Pulse nightclub tragedy, to premiere at Signature Theatre  May 7 2024, 01:16:44 PM

I live in Orlando and while I did not see the local production of this that just closed the people involved are some of the best in town and have amazing voices, some of them are performers at Disney World. 

Dancin vs Illinoise  May 6 2024, 11:34:01 PM

Have been thinking about the reaction to Illinoise both positive and negative and how last year, a dance show that was also nominated for Best Musical failed to find an audience and closed. I just saw someone say there needs to be more dance based shows on Broadway, when we just had one last year and it closed quickly despite having renown Bob Fosse choreography. Of course Illinoise is a different vibe than Dancin’. The original production of Dancin was a huge success and the remount la

2024 Pulitzer Prize Predictions  May 6 2024, 04:12:49 PM
berniesb!tch said: "I'm shocked Stereophonic wasn't even a finalist - no shade to these shows!"

MARY JANE Previews  May 5 2024, 07:39:58 PM

Hopefully McAdams will consider doing another play in the future with the positive reception she has gotten. I know she doesn’t live in NYC and has two small kids but maybe if another juicy role came her way she would consider it. She seems to be adjusting to theatre life well. It doesn’t look like she has any film/tv projects in the works either. 

re: What Times Square Area Buildings Use To Be Theaters?  May 5 2024, 01:46:33 AM

chrishuyen said: "bigbelterbaby said "The Shed and Stage 42 could have legitimate use if they wanted too, although their locations are not in the theatre district."

I think Stage 42 purposely decided not to be a Broadway theater since they have 499 seats (one short of the eligibility for Broadway), though seeing as they haven't had a successful commercial production there recently, I wonder if they would again consider turning it into a Broadway house since there seems to be a dearth of more intimate theaters on Broadway. Then again, it seems like commercial off-Broadway has had a resurgence lately so maybe they'll be able to find a tenant that could stick around.

For reference, Wikipedia mentions this in reference to it becoming a Broadway theater:In 2011, theater producers speculated that Stage 42 might become a Tony-eligible Broadway house by the addition of one seat to bring it to the 500 seat minimum required for Tony eligibility; this has not happened, as going to 500 seats would require negotiating new contracts with the unions, raising costs further.

I'm also doubtful The Shed would want to join the ranks of Broadway, though it's still fairly new so we'll see how their programming goes in the coming years.
"

I imagine if Lincoln Center was built today, the powers that be wouldn't make it a Broadway eligible theatre either. There's so few spaces that are dedicated to theatre that can hold 500+ seats. Stage 42 could add a seat to make it to 500, I guess the costs involved are like the staffing for the house? I don't know the business side of making new Broadway theatre but if The Hudson can come back to us -  any building can - if there's enough $$$ and support behind it. ....

re: What Times Square Area Buildings Use To Be Theaters?  May 4 2024, 02:19:42 AM

This is a sketch that shows what the Klaw looked like next to the Imperial. 

re: What Times Square Area Buildings Use To Be Theaters?  May 4 2024, 02:12:15 AM

Jarethan said: "ibigbelterbaby said: "Bumping this thread for anyone interested.

Still don’t understand what they’re doing with the Tine Square Theatre that sits eerily on 42nd Street and the Liberty that gets used for parties but is an in-tact Broadway house. Although since it was moved I guess there’s little street access and backstage areas.

If down the road late night shows aren’t a thing anymore, the Ed Sullivan could easily be a legitimate theatre, and we can hold out hope for the Mark Hellinger still.The New Victory could also return if Theatre for a New Audience ever folds. The Shed and Stage 42 could have legitimate use if they wanted too, although their locations are not in the theatre district.
Any other locations that exist that could feasibly be a Broadway house? Maybe one day they will build a new one. That ugly lot next to the Imperial where a theatre once stood makes me sad.
Also, the one torn down theatre that I wish still existed was Maxine Elliotts Theatre. The pictures I’ve seen it of it looked gorgeous! And Ziegfeld’s Theatre was also stunning.

I am drawing a blank

…what theater was next to the Imperial. It was a parking lot as far back as the 60s. Love to know what was once there.
"

The demolished theatre that was next to the Imperial was known as the Klaw Theatre. It started as a Broadway house and then was sold to CBS, who sold it to someone who tore it down in 1953. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaw_Theatre

re: What Times Square Area Buildings Use To Be Theaters?  May 3 2024, 06:32:09 PM

Bumping this thread for anyone interested. 

Still don’t understand what they’re doing with the Tine Square Theatre that sits eerily on 42nd Street and the Liberty that gets used for parties but is an in-tact Broadway house. Although since it was moved I guess there’s little street access and backstage areas. 

If down the road late night shows aren’t a thing anymore, the Ed Sullivan could easily be a legitimate theatre, an

(Insert Name or Show) Was Robbed!  May 1 2024, 10:33:10 AM

Miss10036 said: "Agreed that it's disappointing Francis Benhamou didn't make the cut. That's one of the omissions I'm most bummed about. A few others I'm more sad than mad about, as they were probably on the bubble to begin with: Natalie Gold for Appropriate, Soutra Gilmour for her Merrily costumes, and DAWOR for orchestrations."

I was rooting for Natalie Gold and surprised Benhamou was snubbed since she won the Drama Desk last year. 
Al

Your Single Favorite 2024 Tony Nomination  May 1 2024, 10:23:23 AM

I am just happy to see people like Quincy Tyler Bernstine and Betsy Aidem getting their flowers, two prolific actresses Off-Broadway finally getting their moment. 

On a similar note, Kecia Lewis, Eden Espinosa, and Leslie Rodriguez-Kritzer are stage veterans very deserving of this first nomination. 

Tony Nominee Luncheon  May 1 2024, 09:30:54 AM

Does anyone know when the Tony Award Luncheon is when they get their pins and certificates? I can’t find the details, I always look forward to it because they get great interviews and photos from all the nominees. 

thanks! 

THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies  Apr 29 2024, 04:44:06 PM

I am rooting for this show too and hope they have enough reserves to keep trying to build word of mouth. Not that I think it will be playing in 2025 but most shows won’t, I just don’t think it deserves an early close. at least a decent run through the summer into fall. A performance on the Tonys and waiting til competition like A Beautiful Noise close will help it a lot, but that’s in June. 

FORBIDDEN BROADWAY Coming to Broadway This Summer?  Apr 26 2024, 12:59:30 PM

I have to assume Oh Mary announcing its transfer had something to do with this decision. As that will be the hot comedy ticket for the summer. Does anyone know if they started casting? If no big names were attached it likely wouldn’t sell. I think most people especially for a revue type show wait to buy tickets til the cast is announced. 

Mary Jane extends on Broadway  Apr 25 2024, 02:31:27 PM

New closing date is June 16th!! 

THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies  Apr 22 2024, 08:21:50 PM

I like how the Times said McKenzie Kurtz reminds them of Annaleigh Ashford in Kinky Boots and the comparisons to a show based in a factory. 

The Rise, Fall & Comeback of Sara Gettelfinger  Apr 18 2024, 09:15:53 PM

PipingHotPiccolo said: "good for her. i think i saw her in Grey Gardens, maybe off broadway, and she was fantastic. And she brings some great moments to Water for Elephants."

She got fired from Grey Gardens because of her addictions. Here’s the a link to the podcast where she goes over her whole career https://cbroadwaypodcast.podbean.com/e/sara-gettelfinger/

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You