News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for bobby_luvs_bway

bobby_luvs_bway Profile Photo
Member Name: bobby_luvs_bway
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

YOUTUBE: 'Love Never Dies' performed by ALW and Sierra Boggess  Feb 1 2010, 07:54:09 PM
"idina wasn't flying around on a cherry picker at her concerts, right?"

Granted. She also didn't perform her songs as if she were a Deer-bot caught in headlights either.

YOUTUBE: 'Love Never Dies' performed by ALW and Sierra Boggess  Feb 1 2010, 05:56:34 PM
The song is what it is. Very typical ALW. It was just ok. My problem is with the performance. Is this the "Christine-Bot" I've heard about. She has a pretty face and a pretty voice. However, her face is expressionless and her eyes are hollow. Soulless. Vapid. A plank of wood. I hope this is not indacitive of how she intends to play this night after night.
Best Unknown Cast Recording of Popular Shows  Jan 27 2010, 01:57:39 PM
Evita 1988 Touring cast with Florence Lacey (her Eva is balls out crazy, and I just love her strange vocal choices as well)

Does anyone remember Nena Hagen recording a song from Hair? Was it a production or just a single she did?

PS love '92 JCS, did they ever release a full recording?

The Magic Show with Doug Henning  Jan 20 2010, 02:38:48 PM
Could this show be revived without using a magician? Or was this built around the presence of Mr. Henning?
The Magic Show with Doug Henning  Jan 19 2010, 05:35:02 PM
Thanks for all the insight. I remember watching Mr. Henning's tv specials as a kid (we used to howl at his chipmunk like overbite and strange pronunciation of the word illusion.) I had no idea he had done a Broadway show. He was fun to watch on those specials though.
The Magic Show with Doug Henning  Jan 19 2010, 03:24:28 PM
I was recently given the cast recording for The Magic Show. Although I do like some of the music; I'm fascinated by how this must've worked on stage. Did anyone see this? I know they filmed it at some point as Amazon has it for sale, but the reviews state it is different than what was on stage. Also, did anyone see Merlin (also with Doug Henning)? Could this type of show be revived?

Ashley Brown leaving Mary Poppins???  Jan 11 2010, 06:41:53 PM
Just saw her last Friday. She was great. Cute show. Wish they would've recorded her.
re: The Jukebox Musical of Today!  Jan 7 2010, 12:42:46 PM
Phyllis - totally with you on The Mamas and The Papas...it's long over due. I would even love it to be biographical.

How about George Michael/Wham?

re: re: re: re: Bye Bye Birdie Soundtrack?  Jan 4 2010, 05:36:28 PM
Yes that is him. He also had a short lived sitcom "Making It." He had a minor pop hit with the Title song as well. But that was years ago. I've moved on from boys to men; however, Bette Midler remains a constant.
re: re: re: re: Bye Bye Birdie Soundtrack?  Jan 4 2010, 05:14:15 PM
I think, and this is just from his posts, that this is more about Nolan. Oh to be 17 again. He has Nolan and Ann-Margret. For me it was David Naughton and Bette Midler. Some things never change.
re: CARRIE Reading?  Nov 20 2009, 07:51:12 PM
Famebroadway - I'm also curious if they restored any of the older music.

Dantes - LOL...seriously.

re: CARRIE Reading?  Nov 20 2009, 07:38:24 PM
Famebroadway - thank you for sharing your experience. I have been a fan for all these years as well hoping that some day the authors would revisit the material. I do have a couple of questions. How did they rework the ending? Is it more in keeping with the novel (she pretty much destroys the town)or the film? And..was entire piece more like the early workshop with Maureen McGovern?

P.S. count me as one willing to donate a kidney just to listen to the new score.

re: What musical movies should be remade?  Aug 14 2009, 05:37:59 PM
Evita is crying out for a better cast version. Love the cinematography but the movie is one big sleeping pill.
The Wiz could be fun.
Cabaret - I would love a more faithful version.(love the original film, but feel like there is more to this story than is presented)

re: For the trained singers or anyone in the know...Is 8 shows a week too m  Aug 6 2009, 06:37:49 PM
Beagle - thanks for the clarification. I have nothing against Miss Fisher, I actually enjoyed her on that Maria tv show. I really don't understand Songanddanceman's animosity towards her, but to each his own. I was more interested in the 8 shows a week thing. To me, with the new type of music they are writing (all belting), it would be very taxing.
re: How would you stage Jesus Christ SupeRstar on stage?  Aug 6 2009, 03:09:51 PM
They had a "trailer" of sorts on the Atlanta Alliance(?) website, but i'm not sure if it's still up. I would link it, but i can't from work.

The singing was glorious, but also very "gospel". Maybe some would consider it too much. I don't agree. This is a show that calls for it.

As for Mr. Neely, yes he can still sing it. I just don't think the actor playing Jesus should be almost twice the age he was when he died. Also, it looks like Mr. Neely has had some unfortunate

re: How would you stage Jesus Christ SupeRstar on stage?  Aug 6 2009, 02:58:29 PM
I tend to believe the Glenn Carter rumor, since he is the worst Jesus I've seen...and I saw Sebastian Bach!

I checked out the painting you referenced and I think the 2000 production is quite representative of it. Which, imho, is the complete wrong way to go.

I would've loved to have seent he recent Atlanta production with all the gospel singers. It looked deliciously over the top!

re: How would you stage Jesus Christ SupeRstar on stage?  Aug 6 2009, 02:22:21 PM
gvendo - i really like your ideas (all too often productions try to force the theatricality of it, when it's basically a rock concert). I didn't like the 2000 version as i think it totally missed the point of the piece.
re: How would you stage Jesus Christ SupeRstar on stage?  Aug 6 2009, 01:52:09 PM
gvendo - i totally agree about Judas. That has always bothered me about the character. It's always such a 1 dimensional take. I also agree that I would like to see the cast reflect the region it all took place.

BTW - I love the movie, but it's been done. It's time to really examine the material. I think most directors are lazy when it comes to this.

re: How would you stage Jesus Christ SupeRstar on stage?  Aug 6 2009, 01:02:14 PM
You could have it all happening in an asylum and everyone plays an instrument on stage and...oh wait.
I love the music but staging this show is difficult because it ends up looking so cheesy most of the time (outside of a concert format or a bunch of dirty hippies in the desert). Remember, with this show simple and subtle are best because the material is so over the top.

re: For the trained singers or anyone in the know...Is 8 shows a week too much for your voice?  Aug 6 2009, 12:27:37 PM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate all your input and personal stories. I didn't want to bash any particular performer.

Best12- That makes the most sense to me. The roles,these days, seem to require more singers with big loud screechy voices than subtle actor/singers.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You